PDA

View Full Version : Light helicopter water rescue

GeorgeMandes
28th Jul 2011, 04:00
A few days ago, I posted a story where an Alaskan Trooper in an R44 responded to a Cessna 185 that had crashed into Cook Inlet, in rough seas. The Trooper, alone in the 44, managed to drop a raft to the three passengers of the 185, as they stood on the tail section of a sinking aircraft. Absent that action, it seems likely they would have perished.

As I often end up flying over the water up here in Alaska, in a pop-out float equipped 407, besides wondering how I can be rescued :), I think about what assistance I could provide to others. There is generally a Winslow raft in the left rear facing seat, although I couldn't imagine be able to reach and drop that when alone in the right front seat.

Any ideas of what one could do, without wrecking their ship in the process? Close to shore, I could see getting someone over a skid, but that seems unlikely to be successful further out. If you popped the floats, could you get people into the ship as a single pilot?

Hedge36
28th Jul 2011, 04:07
I grew up in Nikiski and many of our coffee-table conversations revolved around this very subject. In the planes we just settled on stashing our bang bags on the copilot seat so we could shove them out the door if necessary.

Obviously things get more complicated in the helo.

In the winter I never griped about wearing my Mustang suit while over the Inlet.

Rotorwashed
28th Jul 2011, 05:29
the thing I would be most worried about would be a freaked out person, most likely in shock, start grabbing at the skids. Even if your intent is just to drop a flotation device, thats certainly not the thing going through their mind. It would be nearly impossible to communicate to the person, not that they would listen anyway. All they'd need to do is get a good grip on a skid, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they brought you down.

I remember reading an accident report where a pilot was picking up passengers on a boat, and an impatient passenger jumped on the skid and put the helicopter out of cg limits. There was absolutely nothing the pilot could do. the helicopter drifted right, into the ship and killing two other crewmembers on the deck, not to mention balling up the chopper.

I've thought about a similar land-based scenario before. Your on a night flight, and you notice a flashing light. After looking closer (and thanks to your handy dandy boy scout training) you realize that its an SOS signal. It could be someone in serious trouble who needs help. It could also be some jerk who likes to play tricks on passing aircraft.

I think the best course of action would be to call the forest service or whoever else is better equipped and trained to help. stay on scene to help the SAR guys locate the wreck, but dont forget about how much fuel you have. If you have a life raft on hand, drop it, but keep your distance. Theres no need to turn 1 accident into 2.

Thone1
28th Jul 2011, 18:18
@Rotorwash: Absolutely right.

Doing SAR myself I can only warn everyone of going beyond your training and experience.
As hard as it may be not to pull someone out of the water right away, I would suggest the following:
If you can (without climbing out of your seat or doing funny stuff like that) drop survival equipment. If available, something fluorescent would be kind.

Most important: Report what happens do an available ground- or even air station. If you can, talk to an RCC or MRCC or Sub-RCC, on guard if you have to.
State your call sign, position, details of the incident, number of persons, state of those persons and injuries if you can.
Stay in radio contact (consider your height)! State your endurance! No reason for you do ditch as well, that just makes it that much harder for the SAR boys.
Land in time if you have to.

If you do that, the rescue is half way over, you´ve taken the Search out of Search and Rescue.

Thomas