PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tornado lands in Malta

pubsman
25th Jul 2011, 13:54
Just posted in the online Times of Malta

RAF Tornado makes emergency landing in Malta - timesofmalta.com (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110725/local/raf-tornado-makes-emergency-landing-in-malta.377325)

Pheasant
25th Jul 2011, 13:59
Why not move the other 21-odd aircraft there and save money on fuel!

Widger
25th Jul 2011, 14:04
Cos therein lies the problem with relying on host nation support!

27mm
25th Jul 2011, 17:50
Just park over there, please, next to those Libyan Mirages.....

Wiretensioner
25th Jul 2011, 18:01
Wow!!! One landed at Lossie this afternoon as well. Amazing coincidence

Wiretensioner

Pontius Navigator
25th Jul 2011, 18:08
Cos therein lies the problem with relying on host nation support!

It was ever thus, ever since the sun set on the British Empire, unless you happen to be suggesting that a harrier carrier would have avoided the issue?

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jul 2011, 18:54
How about that, even aircraft that fly from carriers (henceforth to be known as 'the answer to everything') have had to land away from those wonderful steel floating runways that free one from the burden of needing a land-based runway.

Click here (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110522/local/french-carrier-based-aircraft-makes-emergency-landing-in-malta.366676)

Apparently it was a bit windy for them. I thought 'the answer to everything' could just move away from wind? Perhaps the French aren't doing it properly.......

Trim Stab
25th Jul 2011, 19:28
Just as well that the Tornado has at least got the range and reserves to fly an operational sortie and still be able to make sensible emergency diversions, rather than just crash landing onto a randomly passing container ship:

Oldies & Oddities: The Alraigo Incident | Military Aviation | Air & Space Magazine (http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/Oldies__Oddities_.html)

NutLoose
25th Jul 2011, 20:36
RAF Tornado lands in MaltaWhich one was it? Faith, Hope or Charity?? or was that just the codename for the operational budgeting plan?

Widger
25th Jul 2011, 20:38
I make a valid comment....did I ever mention once the C word?....hmmmmm? Cmon?........Hmmmmm? I tell you....you crabs are paranoid, you have to drag every conversation back to the C&H words I was looking for an intelligent conversation about the fact that even though the Med is 'in the back yard' one can still not guarantee access to the airfields.................humpfh!!

Foghorn Leghorn
25th Jul 2011, 20:46
Widger, they obviously can guarantee airfields otherwise it wouldn't be in Malta having departed from GdC!

Widger
25th Jul 2011, 20:54
FL......That is a very optimistic viewpoint!

NutLoose
25th Jul 2011, 20:56
As Malta had close ties and support pre war from Libya, maybe they do not want to upset anyone for future relations.

Widger
25th Jul 2011, 20:57
Extract from the newspaper Malta Today

Malta’s foreign minister Tonio Borg has issued a stark warning to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) stressing that if they intend to engage in any military action against Libya using Malta as a base, they should “go and knock on other people’s doors.”

Ironically, this comes in the wake of reports that NATO aircraft have been in close communication with Maltese authorities, and the day after the US ambassador to NATO confirmed Malta’s role as base for ‘the larger international co-ordinating process’ for operations which also involve NATO,

Speaking to MaltaToday from Rome after meetings with his Italian counterpart Franco Frattini, Malta’s foreign minister said that he made it clear to all NATO member states, that Malta will not allow its neutrality to be breached and its Constitution broken.

Really annoyed
25th Jul 2011, 21:11
If you get two maltease people together, will they be referred to as Malteasers?

Pontius Navigator
25th Jul 2011, 21:28
Will the crew be interned for the duration or will they use the Uruguayan precedent and require that airframe to be withdrawn from operations?

Always a Sapper
25th Jul 2011, 22:13
Will the crew be interned for the duration or will they use the Uruguayan precedent and require that airframe to be withdrawn from operations?

No need PN, by the time they've either robbed a frame back in the UK or re-negotiated the supply contract for the required bits the techies needed to fit them will have been made redundant and the tonkas will have all gone the way of the harriers :rolleyes:

glad rag
25th Jul 2011, 22:24
Aren't sqdn markings supposed to be removed for operations, or does nobody really not give a sh*t anymore?

:E

AR1
25th Jul 2011, 23:26
if they intend to engage in any military action against Libya using Malta as a base, they should “go and knock on other people’s doors.”

Why? Can't they make a decision themselves?

L J R
26th Jul 2011, 00:06
I remember that the Malta Airshow was a memorable weekend in a Tornado a few years ago. Crew Revisiting their 'aunty' perhaps

TBM-Legend
26th Jul 2011, 00:31
If Malta doesn't want to play a part then that's fine. Send them a bill for defending them in WW2....:=

Roadster280
26th Jul 2011, 01:53
:=

What?

I think you'll find that the general Maltese populace had little choice or interest in entering WW2.

Have you ever been there?

Willard Whyte
26th Jul 2011, 07:38
If you get two maltease people together, will they be referred to as Malteasers?

Depends if we want our Tonka to become a gate guard at Luqa.

glojo
26th Jul 2011, 08:25
My thoughts are that the Maltese are 'Between a rock and a hard place', damned if they do and damned if they don't. Libya is a neighbour and who here can guarantee that Colonel Gaddafi will be removed? If Malta appears to be abusing their neutrality then how will Libya react once this dispute has been resolved.

If the aircraft is impounded then it is impounded. If the crew has to remain on Malta then that is where they will remain. I can certainly think of worse places to be interned.

Regarding comments about the Second World War, then did we need that island more than the Maltese needed our help? I cannot begin to imagine the conditions on that island during that time span but our King commended the bravery of all Maltese inhabitants.

Charles de Gaulle
Do we all accept it was wind that prevented ONE aircraft from landing? Did the weather change so much without the ship's Meteorological Department seeing it inbound?

I think 'paranoid crabs' might be OTT but are we being too quick to condemn?
Could there be other reasons for this aircraft having to divert? ;):uhoh:

Respect to the Maltese and I guess Que Sera Sera

viz
26th Jul 2011, 09:05
My thoughts are that the Maltese are 'Between a rock and a hard place'

No, that's the Gibraltarians you are thinking of..

cazatou
26th Jul 2011, 09:40
The Maltese are very Law Abiding people - I can remember certain Streets that were full of "Solicitors".

Geehovah
26th Jul 2011, 17:29
I seem to remember that in 1978, we were threatened with the full bill for providing the new runway if we ever put a Dunlop on its surface!

Just kidding. Now those tensions are over, I'm sure the Maltese will look after the chaps!

lj101
26th Jul 2011, 18:14
Apparently it was a bit windy for them. I thought 'the answer to everything' could just move away from wind? Perhaps the French aren't doing it properly.......

The helpful stacker

There are occasionally wind forecasts of variable gusting up to 40kts or more, in which case, it wouldn't help which ever way you turned the ship.

Keep stacking the blankets.

PS The maltese government HAVE agreed to allow RAF jets use their airfields for emergency div's for a while now.

Justanopinion
26th Jul 2011, 18:26

And why in Carrier Aviation would you wish to move away from the wind?

Generally the more natural wind the better and being a moveable platform has the advantage of pointing the Bow into it.

Again, stick to the blankets.

pubsman
29th Jul 2011, 09:55
Again, from today's Times of Malta:

Another 'Tornado' at MIA

A Royal Air Force 'Tornado' made an emergency landing at MIA early this morning.
Sources said the bomber ran short of fuel because of strong winds in the southern Mediterranean. It had been on an operation over Libya.
Another two Tornadoes made emergency landings in Malta because of technical problems over the past few days. The Tornadoes are operating from southern Italy.

philrigger
29th Jul 2011, 10:15
;)

Which one was it? Faith, Hope or Charity?? or was that just the codename for the operational budgeting plan?

They are the names being resurrected for the last 3 aircraft left in the RAF.

That will not be long now!

SCAFITE
29th Jul 2011, 14:34
It is now three RAF Tornado Aircraft that have had to put into Malta with problems, must be the heat.

SCAFITE
29th Jul 2011, 15:58
You will be pleased to know its not just the RAF types, there are Military aircraft of every size and shape dropping in with problems. A Danish F16 landed 30 mins ago with Hyd problems and lots of French Fighters.

Some Maltese chap with a camera and a lens the size of a Elephants donger post these to a website for modelers. Just like an airshow with the amount of Military hardware with problems. Also lots of nice Sqn markings for modelers to note.

Wrathmonk
29th Jul 2011, 16:02
lots of French Fighters

Not off the CdeG I hope :E (or is that in port at the mo?)

jamesdevice
29th Jul 2011, 16:30
"the amount of Military hardware with problems"

is this a sign that maintenance can't keep up? Campaign going on too long to be supportable at this intensity?

500N
29th Jul 2011, 18:09
"Some Maltese chap with a camera and a lens the size of a Elephants donger post these to a website for modelers. Just like an airshow with the amount of Military hardware with problems. Also lots of nice Sqn markings for modelers to note."

Scafite
Why do modellers need to see a picture taken in Malta to see what the Sqn markings are. Are they different to what is on the 'net already or at home bases ?

SCAFITE
30th Jul 2011, 10:09
The reason why the modeling community is looking at these pictures is very simple, under normal security on operations pictures of RAF Combat aircraft armed to the teeth in the middle of a period of combat operation do not normally appear. With these pictures modelers can make a bang up to date model of say the Tornado as it was on that day on operations.

What we are also seeing is evidence being stuck right in front of our noses of possibly aircraft component failure due to intense operation. In his book 100 days Adm Woodward stated that modern systems have about 3 month’s life in intense usage, thats why he had to take the Falkland in that period or failure of machines would impact on operation.

We are using what is a short to medium range strike aircraft in a strategic way as far as distance of mission goes, which if used on the odd occasion would be no problem, in fact Tornado’s from RAF Bruggen where used on long distance missions in to Serbia in 1999. However these missions went on for only about 3 to 4 weeks or so, before a FAP Fly Away Pack and other support systems could be placed in Sardinia so the distance could be reduced, but operation with Tornado’s ended before it could be fully utilized.
This operation as been going on since April or so and we are now looking at a period of operation going over 5 months with long distance mission being completed day in and day out. Are we taking the piss out of our aircraft usage, are we seeing more and more aircraft having to divert with problems and where will this lead.

I am a ex Stacker so I can only write what I see or have experienced in my time in the service, but while in the service even as a young lad, I paid great attention and made sure I was on distribution list for Aircraft safety and general Military Magazines and operational releases (normally in Supply Sqn these were only seen by the Officers or SNCO’s). Awareness of Aircraft Safety and general military goings on should be done even if you stack blankets or cook chip in the Royal Air Force or other aviation services. So if they do kick into touch many of the support trades in the RAF and give them to the Army what you will get rid of is many proud personnel in support trades who are aware they are supporting aircraft and aircrews. The Tip of the Spear still need its staff of support.
Home - Aviation & Ships Spotting in Malta (http://www.maltaspotting.com/)

brakedwell
30th Jul 2011, 10:51
There must be enough Tornado crews in Malta to have a real party. If they head for Straight Street (aka The Gut), I can recommend the Eqyptian Queen as a starter!

Ooops, sorry, I forgot . . . . :ouch:

SCAFITE
1st Aug 2011, 09:10
Interesting prog on BBC I Player Radio call Report about the state of the MoD Logistics.

Bottom line is its not sexy and as a result been looked down apon by other trades and branches.

Well it looks as if the birds are coming home to roost 5 Billions worth of Stores not accounted for and a system broken and lack of trained personnel resulting is some very basic stores errors.

BBC iPlayer - The Report: The MOD's Missing Kit (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b012r7tw)

Has this got anothing to do with duff aircraft in Malta, well it does mention personnel having to make do and mend to get things done due to lack of spares.

Union Jack
1st Aug 2011, 11:38
If they head for Straight Street (aka The Gut), I can recommend the Eqyptian Queen as a starter!

Brakedwell - Now, now - get it "strait"!:=

Jack

brakedwell
1st Aug 2011, 12:20
Did I spell Egyptian Queen correctly :)

pubsman
5th Aug 2011, 06:15
Looks like another one:

Update 2: Royal Airforce Tornado lands at MIA - timesofmalta.com (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110804/local/tornado-lands-at-mia.378792)

Seems to have had more of a "drama" this time:

"Sources said there were no weapons or fuel on board".

pr00ne
5th Aug 2011, 16:09
"There were no weapons or fuel on board"

Well, there's your emergency, they forgot to put any fuel in...

brakedwell
5th Aug 2011, 18:22
Time to reopen Luqa Transt mess!