PDA

View Full Version : The future of Britain's military...

Airborne Aircrew
24th Jul 2011, 22:24
I knew the man fairly well many years ago. A quiet, gentle and very nice man. He moved on from II Squadron to other "fields"...

Link (http://bobshepherdauthor.com/)

MightyGem
24th Jul 2011, 22:28
Future? What bloody future? :mad: :mad:

jamesdevice
24th Jul 2011, 23:03
military + future = oxymoron

the second essay on that link (re aid for Pakistan) is very worth reading

Jabba_TG12
25th Jul 2011, 10:07
I think he raises some very apt points, which some of us have also been thinking out loud too... :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
25th Jul 2011, 11:49
I can scream from the rooftops against the wholesale gutting of our armed forces. But those best positioned to stop it are the officers tasked with carrying it out. The odds aren’t good. In 23 years of military service I knew perhaps a dozen officers who were truly worthy of their command.

I find this to be a surprising statement by Bob who, when I knew him, was something of a diplomat. It says a lot for how viscerally he feels about the subject when he makes such a statement.

Willard Whyte
25th Jul 2011, 12:09
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/voracious/****creekmap.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jul 2011, 12:32
Nice one WW. Bliar/Brownjob put the UK there, and now Dave's lost the paddle.

..when I PVR'ed mid-'90s, I did say this would happen, in writing. I know I wasn't the only one.

The simple fact is, there's no money.

Sadly, the Government hasn't got the bolleaux to cut its commitments to match its spending cuts.

As for defence policy, I've never met an historian or lawyer who could forward plan. Given the decades of historians, lawyers and PPE graduates running the country, the chances of them coming up with any decent assessments of future threats or plans to meet them is zero.

Really annoyed
25th Jul 2011, 19:14
Bob who

Bob Who? I always wandered what Dr Who's or should it be Dr Whose? Anyway, I always wandered what his first name was and now I know. Bob.:ok: