PDA

View Full Version : EK A380 to India soon

The Turtle
24th Jul 2011, 20:36
Emirates Optimistic Over India A380 Approval

Jul 22, 2011

By Adrian Schofield

http://www.aviationweek.com/media/images/x.gif Emirates is still waiting to hear whether it will be allowed to fly Airbus A380s into major Indian airports, but it does not think there will be a long-term holdup.
Both Emirates and Lufthansa have said they want to operate A380 routes to India, but so far the government has not approved the use of the aircraft at Indian airports. Local media are reporting that this is partly to protect Air India, which is due to receive its first A380 this year.
However, the Indian government has not formed a specific policy on A380s, says Andrew Parker, Emirates’ senior VP-international affairs. The government is “being cautious and taking its time” in studying the operational implications of A380 service, Parker tells Aviation Week at the Aviation Outlook Australia Pacific conference in Sydney. “We’ll be patient, [although] we want to fly the A380 [to India] as soon as possible,” Parker says.
India is an extremely important country in the Emirates network, and this is “a market designed for A380s,” says Parker. The carrier has already flown a demonstration flight to New Delhi last year, and both Delhi and Mumbai airports are among those that can handle the aircraft, Parker says.

falconeasydriver
24th Jul 2011, 20:54
Awwww bless, I can see all those 5 foot 6' A380 guys crying into their "super" special K at this news.
Roll on the night turns :E

IndAir967
25th Jul 2011, 04:09
As per Memorandum of Understanding between India and UAE (Classified as Dubai !!) :
UAE Registered Airline(s) (operating out of DXB ofcourse) are entitled to 29100 seats per week in one direction or 58200 seats on both directions per week !!
Seats per destination in one direction per week :
Mumbai : 7299.
Delhi : 4559.
Chennai : 3607.
Kolkatta : 2000.
Kochi : 2785.
Hyderabad : 2750.
Trivandrum : 2000.
Bangalore : 2100.
Ahemadabad : 2000.

Total of 29100 seats in one direction originating from dubai for the A6 Carriers alone.

Also Emirates has more flexibility on certain routes when it operates on
an code share basis with Air India.
Even if EK decides to operate their Big Bus to India it would predominantly
be only to BOM and DEL. Operating them into any other airports would
restrict their service frequency and EK being an transit airline wouldnt want
any reduction in their frequency.
An 300 seater operating 3 times a day would definitely be more profitable than an 500 seater operating 2 times a day.

CAVnotOK
25th Jul 2011, 04:51
But yet EK still insists that it wants to operate the "Super" to the region. Maybe they know something that we don't??

Cav.

three eighty
25th Jul 2011, 05:17
A380, can you tell me why EK, LH and KE pilots on the A380 use the term "Super" when checking in to ATC facilities in cruise?
Extract from LIDO.

Indication of Aircraft Type
Immediately after call sign, in the initial call after changing to a new radio frequency, aircraft shall report:
a) wake turbulence category, if "Super" (J) or "Heavy" (H); b) Aircraft type, if B757

Some countries require the above, some don't.
Some instructors encourage the above, some don't.
Some 380 pilots comply with the above, some don't.

At the end of the day, does it really matter wether "super" is used in the cruise or not?

falconeasydriver
falcon- you must be one of them 5ft 6 guys, as you seem to have a complex about it. Help is available mate.

Keep teeling that to yourself A380, if you say it 100 times it must be true!

No complex here BTW the way, merely an amused grin at the bemused looks that will begin to appear on the faces on lots of those "short A380 men"

It reminds me of the day that Ireland discovered that one of the benefits of EU membership was being the first country to have a smoking ban applied in its pubs....the whole country let out a collective "what?" :} hahaha

Schibulsky
An 300 seater operating 3 times a day would definitely be more profitable than an 500 seater operating 2 times a day.

You must be the guy using two sedans driving your kids to school because using one van is less efficient! :ok:

fatbus
25th Jul 2011, 05:24
Good one !

Jet II
25th Jul 2011, 05:41
How much freight can you get on those 3 other aircraft compared to the 2 whales? ;)

Sqwak7700
25th Jul 2011, 05:54
Spare a thought for your cabin crew when they begin A380 service to Incredible India. I hope they disable the call button on the seats, otherwise they will need all of the galley space and maybe even some cargo hold volume to lift all the catering required.

How much whiskey can the A380 haul? :hmm:

Jason2000
25th Jul 2011, 06:32
Hi,

Just wondering...(I assume not)...but does the agreement between the two countries specify simply seat count or seat class also?

i.e. if EK were to put 2 A380s on-route instead of 3 777s per day for instance, there would be more F/J class seats %-wise available given the 76 Business seats on an A380 vs say 42 on a 773ER.

Is there such a demand for the premium seats?

IndAir967
25th Jul 2011, 10:06
You must be the guy using two sedans driving your kids to school because using one van is less efficient!

Point taken .. but in the UAE , the son and the daughter never have school at the same time (atleast mine dont) .. so a two trips in an sedan much betta than two trips in an van.. :8

The reason why I was stressing on the frequency was because any reduction in frequency would increase the connection time and wait at dubai airport. The pax have better options than waiting at dubai airport for longer time.

:ok:

ATCO1962
25th Jul 2011, 12:05
From an ATC perspective, it's definitely worthwhile for the 380 crews to check in with "Super". When your buried under a pile of traffic and then you hear that, it's a good reminder to check what's around the aircraft for wake turbulence separation. I don't know how many times I've been taken up on the offer of an offset track to avoid the turbulence of a 380 that's either ahead or above or whatever. Noone seems to willingly go through the wake of a 380, even if standard wake separation is being applied.

The "super" has nothing to do with ego, even if some on these fora believe that to be the case.

Bypass ratio
25th Jul 2011, 16:35
A380-800 Driver is heading back to the 330 in October I believe?? There's a good chance you'll be doing turn-arounds for the forseeable future. I think you should change your handle now.....A330-200 Driver:O

White Knight
25th Jul 2011, 17:45
Awwww bless, I can see all those 5 foot 6' A380 guys crying into their "super" special K at this news.

I guess the 'average' 380 pilot size will change somewhat when I go over then:E:E:E:E

falconeasydriver
25th Jul 2011, 18:47
I guess the 'average' 380 pilot size will change somewhat when I go over thenhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Well WK, given the small relative size of the whale fleet, your general dimensions, which by the way I know within an inch or so having been stood near to you whilst collecting my trousers at HQ recently, I'd say you are right, 5'6' and 3/4:E:E:E:E

InnocentBystander
26th Jul 2011, 20:50
Whether it's required or not I appreciate the "super" call. It gives me the opportunity to watch them ahead and increase spacing when necessary. Got caught in the wake of the fatbus before (Once on flare with the standard 5 mile separation in DXB) and it was not funny. How they got approval for same spacing as a heavy is beyond me. Their wake is much more brutal than any 777 or 747 I have ever followed.