PDA

View Full Version : What aspects of maths and physics are worth reading up on prior to ATPL ground school

FattyBarr
24th Jul 2011, 16:03
Start soon and want to be properly prepared!

Thanks

flighttimer
24th Jul 2011, 16:14
Honestly VERY VERY basic.
You're mostly using the CRP-5 flight Computer.
Weight and balance is done with a calculator.

It's still good to be sharp at mental mathematics, i'd say that's honestly about it.
I know guys working for airlines today that don't know the last thing about mathematics(not saying it's a good thing).

Good Luck i'm sure you'll be fine.

pipersam
25th Jul 2011, 22:01
Some areas of maths that I have encountered so far:

Formulae - how to re-arrange etc
Basic Triganometry / 1 in 60 rule
There's a fair bit to do with angles (measuring etc) so it's a good idea to have a good principle knowledge of how to use a compass and protractor. (Make sure you buy a good pencil and an even better rubber!!)
Conversions (We are given all the formula we need and how to use the flight computer to solve most conversions, it's just remembering how to do them on exam day... :})

Do some revision on distance/speed/time which comes up a fair bit, and it may be worth doing some revision about the maths involved with wave propagation and what the EXP button on your calculator does. (Don't worry too much though as you will be taught all you need to know)

Physics wise, a good GCSE level knowledge will set you flying on track. The level of physics taught within the course can be mind boggling in some ways but give it time and attention and you should crack it. Don't be too dis-heartened after your first Principles of Flight lesson :p

This is all that has cropped up so far. Some good basic mental arithmetic skill has proven helpful to estimate and check answers. Pretty simple stuff really...

Regards

FattyBarr
26th Jul 2011, 17:01
Thanks chaps,

Have got the Oxford maths and physics CD roms but want to try and spend time on the things that are relevant.

Good Luck!

cefey
26th Jul 2011, 18:02
Trigonometry will help you a lot, esp. in GNAV. Basics though, sin, cos, tan..

kaptn
27th Jul 2011, 13:36
check out this link, it gives a summary of what you'll see in the ATPL sudies...see what you know, or can apply from a formula :

http://www.freelancepilot.nl/ATPL%20summary.pdf