PDA

View Full Version : Another height question

icecreamcake
24th Jul 2011, 11:11
I know a lot of questions about height restrictions for pilots have been asked on here already, but not too many people are as short as I am. I'm 5'1" and I'm wondering how big of an issue this is as I think about beginning flying lessons.

I have heard from several sources that there is no height restriction at the licensing level, and recently learned that individual commercial companies may impose their own restrictions. British Airways, for example, apparently has a height minimum of 5'2".

I've heard a lot of different stories about short people having/not having problems. Sounds like there are a lot of factors involved - which aircraft, your body proportions, etc. One user posted that someone around my height couldn't fly 747s but could fly Airbus.

Any advice for people of my height? At this height, are the odds for getting hired significantly reduced? Is it possible to get a fitting for various aircraft early on so I will know what is/is not possible from the outset and not have to be surprised later?

Frankly I am a little surprised that this is an issue at all. I know 5'1" is short, but I wouldn't consider it abnormal. For example, I have never had a problem driving cars. But in the intro flight I did in a Cessna, I had problems reaching the pedals with the seat fully forward. I consider this not a great sign.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ranj
24th Jul 2011, 23:27
The experience in the cessna was probably a good indicator to be honest.

Personally I m 5ft8 and without a cushion I struggle to look over the instruments and at a horizon in the Piper Warrior.

So at 5ft1 I think you are gona be struggling in general....however I would suggest talking to some of the airlines and getting thier view on the matter....

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Jul 2011, 20:47
I would not worry too much mate, there are cushions for light aircraft, and the rudder pedals in the airbus are adjustable :ok:.