PDA

View Full Version : Long Eaton Lane, East Mids

Lagentium
23rd Jul 2011, 14:27
Advice again please!
I did the dual run with my instructor for my QXC yesterday and all went well, the only thing I had trouble with was spotting the Zone entry/exit point at Long Eaton Lane at East Midlands, I found it but it seemed a bit vague, I will hopefully be doing it solo next Sunday. Any advice on how to correctly identify it would be great, infact any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance
Jim

mad_jock
23rd Jul 2011, 14:47
Don't worry to this day I havn't ever found the southern VRP entry point for LBA.

Have a look at this

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-F6FC4F2618F10629BD7F83026A77C035/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGNX_4-1_en_2011-04-07.pdf

Then use this to spot stuff round it

The Airfields Of Leicestershire East Midlands (http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/EastMidlands.html)

Shoestring Flyer
23rd Jul 2011, 15:32
The Long Eaton Lane VRP is the large MI J25 roundabout( junction of M1 and A52).
East Mids ATC will usually instruct you to be either East or West of this VRP dependant on if you are entering or leaving their zone.

Yorkphil
23rd Jul 2011, 15:37
What were you looking for?

Trowell Services is easy to spot and you'll probably be asked to report there. Once you get to Trowell, just follow the M1 south keeping whichever side of the motorway ATC tell you to (and watch your height as well, of course).

Enjoy the QXC. I did mine into East Midlands and Humberside and it was a much more memorable experience than my first solo.

Shoestring Flyer
23rd Jul 2011, 15:43
Think of the M1 as the centreline that you need to be just either East or West of at the J25 M1 roundabout dependant on if using 27 or 09.

verticalhold
23rd Jul 2011, 17:23
I once heard a lady on a QXC get VERY unsure of her position on that lane. The controllers were utterly brilliant in their handling of the situation, then again I always find EMA controllers bloody good whenever I fly in there.

VH

mad_jock
23rd Jul 2011, 17:38
When I visited they had a load of dual qualified ATCO's at East mids, that is to say they have PPL level pilots all the way up to ATPL holders. I think they also have a couple of FI's and CRI's as well.

SFCC
23rd Jul 2011, 18:01
They are ace...all of them.

I have to admit to being based there for a job, but I've never heard one of them ever bark at anybody.

Top marks to them and I know that at least one of there number holds an ATPL....pretty good going in my opinion.:D

muffin
23rd Jul 2011, 18:16
I will second that. I live under their zone with my R22 and they are excellent

almost professional
23rd Jul 2011, 18:46
If you have not already seen it, the EMA VFR Pilot Website is a good tool-http://www.koolflyer.co.uk/EMA%20VFR%20Pilot/-put together by one of the PPLs on the Unit.
As for which side of the Motorway, that will depend on whether entering or leaving and the Runway in use-feel free to ask if you need any more advice.
Wonder who the guy in the cool shades is though!