PDA

View Full Version : Madrid through check in

WetFeet
23rd Jul 2011, 09:45
Soon going to be flying with Emirates, Auckland - Dubai - Madrid - Malaga.

Auckland to Madrid is with Emirates, connecting onto Iberia for the flight down to Malaga. All on one booking with Emirates.

Question is, when checking in at Auckland, will we and our baggage be checked all the way to Malaga or will we have to collect our luggage at Madrid and check in again? (no terminal change at Madrid).

Aksai Oiler
23rd Jul 2011, 15:11
Depends, if you have a split ticket, despite being one booking - then NO.

For example I travelled from Jerez to KL a couple of weeks ago - Iberia/KLM. The agent had split the tickets consequently Iberia would only check my bags as far as Amsterdam. I did ask at checkin if I could at least check my bags through to KL, but as usual, despite being a One World gold card holder, the answer from Iberia was NO (miserable gits). However on the return to Jerez, Malaysian Airlines (agents for KLM) checked my bags straight through to Jerez.

I would imagine if you have bought your tickets as all one booking, but they are not split tickets, then you should be able to.

regards

Oiler

sitgetan
23rd Jul 2011, 17:56
My assumption would be that you'll have to collect your bags at Madrid in order to clear customs.

Capetonian
23rd Jul 2011, 17:57
I would not trust Iberia.

Aksai Oiler
23rd Jul 2011, 21:57
Clearing customs is not an issue. I regularly collect my baggage from the non-eu baggage claim in Malaga; and yes I don't trust Iberia either, which is why I regularly give them &hit

brian_dromey
23rd Jul 2011, 21:58
Nothing to do with codeshares. If it is all on one ticket - i.e there is one ticket number, then they will do it. If not, it is unlikely, but still possible that they will check the bags through.

frontcheck
23rd Jul 2011, 22:17
Why do you call the Iberia agent a "miserable git" Aksai Oiler ? just because they are following company procedures/training. If you are on seperate tickets the onward flight has nothing to do with the first carrier...despite any form of status.

Aksai Oiler
24th Jul 2011, 08:42
Some checking staff are very pleasant to deal with, others are not - equally just as pax can be... The same particular member of staff I had met the night before when shipping off my wife and daughter to Kazakhstan, and she was not pleasant then either.

WetFeet
24th Jul 2011, 09:28
Over a period of about 10 years I have done a dozen trips Glasgow, UK - Auckland. The first two or three times I was able to check in myself and baggage all the way through from start to finish, regardless of whether it was separate tickets or not. Then they stopped doing it if it was separate tickets, even if all airlines were Star Alliance or whatever. The reason the airlines gave was that checking all the way through cost them money so why should they do it if they weren't getting money for it?