PDA

View Full Version : Hethel Airfield

777fly
23rd Jul 2011, 07:30
Can anyone advise whether it is possible to use Hethel airfield for a one-off visit? I know that Lotus use most of the remaining hard surfaces for a test track, but on Google Earth there still seems to be a decent stretch of the runway in useable condition. If it can still be used, would it be possible to negotiate PPR with Lotus? If this idea is a no-go, any advice on the use of Tibenham as an alternative would be most welcome.

Zulu Alpha
23rd Jul 2011, 08:28
You will have to ask Lotus, but my understanding is that they haven't had fixed wing in there for years.

Old Buckenham and Tibbenham are just down the road.

WorkingHard
23rd Jul 2011, 09:02
Unless on Lotus business then NO

John Horovitz
23rd Jul 2011, 14:14
I last visited Hethel some 25 years ago with the invitation of the chief pilot of Lotus but now it is closed to all fixed wing aircraft. Tibenham (or Priory Farm) is the nearest.

Tibenham is unlicenced and I feel that a chat with them on 01379 677207 may be appropriate - it is a friendly place and the main runway (03 - 21) is long enough for most fixed wing aircraft. Hope that this is of use.

John

Vick Van Guard
23rd Jul 2011, 16:44
The airfield closed some time ago. It is now just a test track.

I had just bought one of their cars and wanted to fly in for a track day, but was refused. They offered to pick me up from Norwich instead.

Legalapproach
23rd Jul 2011, 20:49
Tibbenham, Priory Farm or Old Buck are your best bet. I went into Hethel there a few years ago to tug out a glider that had landed there but my understanding is that ordinarily the airfield is unavailable

sycamore
23rd Jul 2011, 20:55
Have operated a helo out of there,but that was a a `hospitality` day..

astir 8
23rd Jul 2011, 21:11
When I was gliding out of Tibenham last year we were advised that landing out at Hethel would be very unwelcome

twelveoclockhigh
24th Jul 2011, 04:29
They are even funny about helicopters parking there when they have dropped off visitors to the factory.

The test track has recently been upgraded to FIA standards.

Zulu Alpha
24th Jul 2011, 09:45
See here for info re Tibbenham.
Norfolk Gliding Club - Flying-In Brief (http://www.norfolkglidingclub.com/FlyingToTib.aspx)

Normally not a problem unless they have a gliding comp on in which case it can be busy.

Normal gliding days are Thurs Sat and Sun, otherwise there is often no one around so you just land and park.

777fly
24th Jul 2011, 11:23
Thank you for the replies everyone. Hethel is obviously not possible, I had suspected that might be the case. I have not been able to raise anyone at Tibenham for PPR, although Zulu Alpha advises it's OK to just go and land there. I have PPR for Old Buckenham, which may be at better option.

Zulu Alpha
24th Jul 2011, 11:51
I would suggest that you need PPR and more importantly a briefing on how to land when they are gliding and have winch cables around.

Persevere with Tibbenham if you want to go there. It is a club run by volunteers so pot luck whether they are near the phone or gliding.
There is no problem with powered aircraft and quite a few are based there.

Fuel is available and reasonable priced £1.89/l I think, but you have to find someone with a key which is OK on Thurs/Fri/Sat but pot luck at other times.

The cafe is open at weekends and maybe Thursday, again run by members so good value.

I have a mobile number if you need one, so pm me if you decide you want to go to Tibbenham.