PDA

View Full Version : Sale, VIC

RadioSaigon
23rd Jul 2011, 05:26
A mate rang asking about Sale airport... all I could tell him was there is one there! He has to go there next weekend to look at machinery (tractors) and needs to get there somehow from NSW... obviously, legging thru MLB I would think, but are there any regional airlines that run a service to Sale or anywhere in the near vicinity? Any info would be appreciated!

Aussie Bob
23rd Jul 2011, 05:58
I have been there few times to pick up or drop off aircraft. The only transport I have found is the train from Melbourne. Get on at Flinders Street with a book and an hour later Sale arrives. Home of Rudys Aero Engines, good people. There are two airports, East being military and West being civilian.

Arm out the window
23rd Jul 2011, 06:26
If he needs transport around the Sale area, a reasonable plan would just be to get a hire car at Tulla and drive out - about 2.5 hrs to Sale township if the traffic's OK.

Don't know about regionals, didn't hear that much traffic going in and out of West Sale when I was flying around the area. If he needs to fly in, and depending on where the tractors are, Bairnsdale might be an option, but again I don't know who might charter to there, sorry.

VH-XXX
23rd Jul 2011, 07:33
No RPT into West Sale since Hazelton shut down that route a fair number of years back now. Probably over 10 if I recall correctly.

Tulla to Sale is 235kms, a little longer than normal trip time is to be expected as the Morwell bypass is closed (the road has near collapsed).

Not the Easiest place to get to I'm afraid!

Train's aren't quite as easy as Bob says however. The trip on VLine from Southern Cross (Spencer St) Station is just under 3 hours, plus you have to get the Skybus from Tulla to Southern Cross.

As mentioned, hiring a car from Tullamarine would be the somewhat quicker option.

RadioSaigon
23rd Jul 2011, 21:18
Probably Newcastle Clinton, after a bit of a drive.

Many thanks all for the information & advice. I'll pass that on when speaking to the lad later today.

Lasiorhinus
24th Jul 2011, 08:52
Merimbula to Sale is about six hours drive.
Tullamarine to Sale is about three hours drive.

There are two airports in Sale, and if your mate is very friendly with the RAAF they may be able to squeeze him down the back of something going from Williamtown to East Sale. But otherwise West Sale airport is the option, and in any case 10km out of town.

Public transport is, as mentioned, V-Line, with a grand total of three services a day from Spencer St in Melbourne. I second the option of hiring a car from Tulla, to avoid all the hassle, and also giving you options for transport within Sale, which has an almost useless bus network.

RadioSaigon
25th Jul 2011, 11:52
Cheers Lasiorhinus, very helpful. Looking like Tulla and hire-car will be the preferred option. Many thanks to all for the helpful responses.