PDA

View Full Version : Renal artery stenosis

flyinhi777
22nd Jul 2011, 17:06
I have high bloodpressure, and a heart murmur that is benign. I went to get an ultra sound done on my kidneys and i think they foud renal artery stenosis. My question is can you get a first class medical with this. It is treatable but i think they blow the artery up with a balloon and put in a stent to make sure it dont close up.

homonculus
30th Jul 2011, 09:41
Sorry, this cant be answered without a lot more information. There are several treatments of which baloon dilatation is one. Not all cases need intervention and the results can vary. There are also issues such as renal function which may effect the answer. So I am afraid it needs a telephone call to Gatquick

Mimpe
30th Jul 2011, 10:19
you'd need to provide more info... if the effect is less than a systolic of 150 mmhg or so and the stenosis is not high grade ( ie can be left alone ,such as less than 65 per cent or so) with medically controllable blood pressure, they will probably let you fly on a class 1.
Some passing comments however....

Hypertension tratments that act centrally such as moxonidine or aldomet shouldnt be used for class 1 pilots ( or any).

Low g commercial flying is ok for beta blockers and calciumchannel blockers, but not military flight or ag or aerobatics.

Dilation ot a high grade stenosis of the renal arty is not to be regarded as a routine thing.You need to get good advice of the risk vs benefit.