PDA

View Full Version : Navy/RAF 80 years ago

26er
22nd Jul 2011, 14:44
I have been given a copy of "The Times" of 21st July 1931 and noticed under "Naval Appointments made by the Admiralty yesterday": Lieut. Commr. (Flight Lieut. RAF) - H.L.St.J.Fancourt, to President for duty in N.A.D. Can anyone explain what was happening to this chap? Was he being transferred from one service to the other and being promoted? Also listed were Lieuts. (Flying Officers RAF) to Glorious for FFD in 495 Flight and 460 Flight.

I seem to remember years ago being told that Royal Marine officers held appointments equivalent to the next higher army or RAF rank when attached to the other service, the reason being given that in such a small organisation as the RM promotion was very slow and forty five years ago I was on a Group HQ with a captain RM filling what would have been a major's job. He didn't get the pay though. And presumably a Captain RM equalled a Lt Cdr. Was this correct?

PhilipG
22nd Jul 2011, 15:09
26er As I understood it the RAF supplied the planes and pilots for the RN Aircraft Carriers between the wars, does this explain it?

pr00ne
22nd Jul 2011, 15:13
26er,

That was when it was the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force.

26er
22nd Jul 2011, 15:14
But how could a guy be a Lt Cdr and a Flt Lt at the same time?

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Jul 2011, 15:43
Because a Lt Cdr in the Navy was and still is only as good as a Flt Lt in the RAF :E

Fire 'n' Forget
22nd Jul 2011, 16:40
Ask Sharkey, his knowledge on current airpower doctrine is based around this era.

VX275
22nd Jul 2011, 17:52
NAD would that be the Naval Aircraft Department at RAE Farnborough?

Schiller
23rd Jul 2011, 19:34
It was usual between the wars for all aircrew in the Fleet Air Arm to hold dual ranks irrespective of their parent service.