PDA

View Full Version : Calling Transport Command veterans

Steve Bond
22nd Jul 2011, 07:00
For a forthcoming book on the history of transport flying in the RAF, I am seeking contact with anyone who would like to contribute their experiences please. I am interested in all aspects; air crew, ground crew, etc. I have very little coverage so far of the following types; Valetta, Hastings, Beverley, Comet, Britannia but as I said, anything and everything, so please get in touch.

Many thanks

classjazz
22nd Jul 2011, 20:25
Please PM me Mr Bond

Old-Duffer
23rd Jul 2011, 15:42
Steve Bond,

No mention of the Hunters of 38 Group - surely some mistake ;)

And more seriously, what about the helios?

Old Duffer

fantom
23rd Jul 2011, 15:45
Transport Command

Don't you mean 'Eating Command'?

ian16th
23rd Jul 2011, 21:36
Go on, I'll bite, I had a 12 month holiday in Transport Command and worked on Valetta's, Hasting's and Beverley's amongst other types that passed through Istres and Orange in 1957/8.

Chugalug2
23rd Jul 2011, 22:05
A great Command before it was consumed along with all the other great Commands into the various, here today gone tomorrow, ones that followed. Its motto was emblazoned proudly over its mighty portals:
No Tlicket, No fly-up!

Cornish Jack
24th Jul 2011, 11:51
Ian16th
In that case you probably took care of us in transit - Valettas '55 -'58 and Bevs 'til '61.
Aaaaah!!! Orange and the little bar with the collection of snipped-off tie ends and too large a stock of Pernod:eek::mad::mad::{

ian16th
24th Jul 2011, 14:13
Cornish Jack,

Took care of lots of A/C no trouble, people were a problem to us!

We had minimal facilities for people at Istres and even less at Orange. Our worst nightmare was a Beverley full of Pongo's going U/S and having to overnight.

As for the bar with ties, no ties in my time. I preferred the bar arrangements at Istres, the bar was just along the passage, in the barrack block!

I was the 1st RAF guy at Orange. I was the Radar Fitter and I installed the Eureka VII in a little brick hut close to the Tower. This was a couple of weeks before we transferred all of the traffic. May 58, I left Sept 58.

As a Radar Fitter, from a previously cosseted existence in Bomber Command, I very quickly learn't all about A/C handling, re-fueling and re-oiling. The re-oiling especially on Beverley's! The engine guys were very keen to initiate all of the other trades in that 'skill'.:rolleyes:

There was one very welcome Valletta, the once a month 'NAAFI Kite'. This came from Benson, with all of our 'duty free', it also brought our 'stores'. When it was parked and the door opened, the 1st thing we looked for was Oxygen Bottles. I dunno why we couldn't get supplies from the French, but we didn't, and this was always loaded as priority and they were bl**dy heavy. If there was too much weight taken up by 'stores' our Naafi load of duty free waited until 'next month'.

Odd memories from half a century ago.

Steve Bond
25th Jul 2011, 15:12
Thanks chaps, private messages sent.

Steve Bond
26th Jul 2011, 15:04
Old-Duffer.

You are quite right about 38 Group Hunters of course - and yes, I need helicopter stuff too.

Are you volunteering?

Brian 48nav
26th Jul 2011, 15:28
Do we assume your story will end with the demise of Transport Command on 31st July '67?

Cheers BW

Steve Bond
27th Jul 2011, 09:55
No, the story starts with the Paris Peace Conference in 1919 and ends in 2011.

ICM
27th Jul 2011, 11:22
Steve: Understood - it's to be a comprehensive approach. And assuming that it would then also include the work of overseas AT units in NEAF, MEAF, FEAF, you have quite a challenge ahead.

bingofuel
27th Jul 2011, 15:35
Considering Dave Berry's book on the Britannia fleet alone ran to some 600 pages of A4, you have the potential for a series of books....................