PDA

View Full Version : 51 Squadron

denachtenmai
21st Jul 2011, 10:13
Have 51 now disbanded? if so (or even if not) what is happening to all the Spec.Ops. and Lingos until Rivet Joint comes online?
Regards, Den.

pr00ne
21st Jul 2011, 10:21
denachtenmai,

They're flying on USAF RJ's out of Mildenhall amongst other places. Already been over Afghanistan and Libya according to the MOD.

olddog
21st Jul 2011, 10:28
If it doesn't concern you you don't need to know!

denachtenmai
21st Jul 2011, 10:54
Thanks pr00ne.
olddog, why so rude?
Regards, Den.

bobward
21st Jul 2011, 11:25
I suspect this was an attempt at subtle humour that has slipped past under your radar screen.....
;);):O

Now we've told you, will we have to 'terminate with extreme predujice?? :hmm:

olddog
21st Jul 2011, 13:40
Sorry to offend! This was meant as a gentle and good humoured reminder that the detail of what and where defence assets do is best not discussed on open forums.

pr00ne
21st Jul 2011, 14:05
olddog,

What! Have you seen the various service and MOB websites?

We live in an information age and can no longer hide everything behind that old maxim of 'you don't need to know.'

ghostnav
21st Jul 2011, 14:30
They are still flying Nimrods - this website says so!

RAF Waddington - 51 Sqn (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwaddington/aboutus/51squadron.cfm)

denachtenmai
21st Jul 2011, 15:22
Sorry to have bitten olddog, but as pr00ne points out nothing is secret nowadays.
It was just out of genuine curiosity that I asked, after spending 8 of the best years of my life on 51's Comets and Canberras (and Haystacks) I could not imagine the experience and art of the back end guys going to waste.
As for what they do, I am still constrained by my signing of the "Official Secrets Act" I would imagine:eek:.........Oh no, Black Omegas at my hou...
Regards, Den.

olddog
21st Jul 2011, 16:03
Den,

Like you I am retired Ex 51, although of a more recent generation, and fully appreciate the skills of "the boys (and girls) down the back". However, an initial innocent question can lead to deeper conversations which have no place here. No offence meant, and I hope none taken.

PrOOne,

I am aware that there is much more in the public domain these days. The fact remains that we need to post here with caution.

If you really want to know where anyone is try giving the News International Military Desk a call!

Pissing Contest Over, I Hope!

MFC_Fly
21st Jul 2011, 16:18
I agree with olddog. Just because some information may have been made freely available does not mean that those 'in the know' should be fuelling any discussions about 'sensitive' subjects. :mad:

ghostnav
21st Jul 2011, 16:22
It's all been done before - I recognise some "handles" in this thread of 2003

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/113699-51-sqn.html

All I did was google it!

XV277
21st Jul 2011, 18:04
From the USAF

Royal Air Force aircrew members to train at Offutt (http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123236800)

51 is still very much in existence, it just has a temporary lack of airframes.

jamesdevice
21st Jul 2011, 18:14
and another similar view 21st Century Rivet Joint (http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2011/January%202011/0111rivet.aspx)

"The (US) Air Force planned to start training the first British RC-135 aircrews at Offutt this past fall, with the 338th CTS overseeing the task. The initial cadre will consist of about 100 RAF officers from the electronic warfare and linguist career fields, and training will take about a year. Maintainers will start learning how to take care of the aircraft once the first aircrew classes conclude.

Once trained, the Brits will join their American counterparts on USAF Rivet Joint missions until RAF RC-135s finish undergoing extensive modifications. Three Eisenhower-era KC-135 aerial tanker airframes will be transformed into high-tech, intelligence-gathering aircraft. A co-manning arrangement between Air Force officials and their British counterparts allows for joint crew operations."

Basil
21st Jul 2011, 23:35
Anyone remember the Comet which had to go around due Chipmunk turning finals ahead? :O:*

bobward
22nd Jul 2011, 10:53
Basil,
Would that be the aeronautical equivalent of steam giving way to sail?

SOSL
22nd Jul 2011, 21:44
Yes.

Now padding out response to more than 10 characters.

SOSL
22nd Jul 2011, 21:54
Posted from Wyton to Salalah. On arrival sent unclas signal to 51 Sqn adj asking if he could load my Hi-Fi on board for their forthcoming det to Masirah! Nearly ended my career, but they did send my Hi-Fi out.

On_The_Top_Bunk
22nd Jul 2011, 23:16
As long as you don't go into detail about the cloaking device then I'm sure it will be fine.