PDA

View Full Version : Is it worthy? Captain downgrading to Fo EK

patlani1104
21st Jul 2011, 05:44
Hello I just want to hear some comments about what the people think about of being captain on A320 and joining as Fo in Emirates.
Does it really worthy?
Thx.
:confused:

fatbus
21st Jul 2011, 06:14
If you are at a secure airline, good Tand C 's why would you leave? To fly a widebody? Dont do it.

desertcamel
21st Jul 2011, 10:06
I agree with fatbus. I was a 320 capt, came and join from a not so secure airline...from a not so good T & C's. No regrets flying for ek, now back on the Leftseat.

Payscale
21st Jul 2011, 10:56
Dont chase the airplane.. chase the life style you want for you and your family.

TSRABECOMING
21st Jul 2011, 16:03
pay,
you gave me the important keywords.

patlani1104
21st Jul 2011, 18:49
Thank you for answering back my post. But I am a bit confused, the airline I work for so far is secure but there are no more progression on this place, unless if I chase another job around Asia for the A320, but also am thinking to join EK for a long term career.
Does anybody has any idea if its true the upgrades will be relatively fast, if they have 145 A/C and order 190 more I bet they will promote people also right.
Thanks

patlani1104
21st Jul 2011, 18:51
is not the plane is the company!!! I want to be stabilized in a company and do not get worry for my next 15 or 20 years as professional.
Thanks anyway

patlani1104
21st Jul 2011, 18:57
Thanks desertcamel for answer, I would like to know whats T & C's sorry but im new in these forums.
And after you join how long for your promotion? How is the life in Dubai and how is to abide the arabs.
I would like to know more about this, I knew guys they leave the company I work for and so far after 4 years or 5 they are still FO's.
I am really considering EK for a long term career, but I really want to be completely sure before thinking to move.

Safe flights everyone.

FlyingCroc
21st Jul 2011, 20:51
Being a Captain I would NEVER join a company in the Middle East as an FO, Never ever, it is not worth the headache.:eek:

Murrenfan
21st Jul 2011, 21:15
Hey guys, am i the only one who thinks this guy is fake? He uses the same words as recruiting dept.

White Knight
21st Jul 2011, 21:57
He uses the same words as recruiting dept.

And how would you know what words the recruiting department uses:hmm::hmm:

cerbus
22nd Jul 2011, 01:42
The desperation words. You can almost hear the recruiting department screaming through the internet to come to EK. Please please come, we are not as bad as pilots think we are. We have brand new big shinny airplanes for you to fly.
It does not matter that Emirates does not honour your contract or changes the T&C (what little there are of) monthly to the company's favour.
Long term move to EK? No friging way. You might survive 15 years flying but you will be dead soon after.

ironbutt57
22nd Jul 2011, 04:05
Yank perspective..okok 20 years in the region....mmmm downgrading from American Eagle (regional) CAPT to American Airlines ( Major Airline) FO

There is no "right" or "wrong" in this industry, just whatever suits you and your life goals, ans more importantly offers some semblence of financial security to you and family....

Family being the keyword here, if the missus is unhappy, then you will be too...fair enough to her...

desertcamel
22nd Jul 2011, 11:32
Terms and conditions. It took 4 years to upgrade.

Living in Dubai - both good and bad, all depends on your perspective.

Some guys made Ek like their home, mostly others on transient.

i dont think ek is a long term career plan...unless, there's no home to go back to.

i knew some ex A330/340 capts who joined ek as FO's. i met 2 guys, one quits after 7 years.

Goodluck !

patlani1104
23rd Jul 2011, 03:05
Does anybody knows average time for upgrade?

desertcamel
23rd Jul 2011, 08:58
Pat,

Coming from a 320, with the current UG policy, my guess 7 to 8...

You need to build 4,000 hours on EK a/c type. or is it 3,000???

if you have previous time on 330s/340s or the 777, then might be shorter.

DC

yardman
23rd Jul 2011, 12:14
I believe it's 3000 on an EK type and 4000 hard time (over 55T). So 320 drivers would only have to meet the former. I think 7 to 8 years is wildly pessimistic for someone at that position. 5 years maximum is what I figure. 100 plus upgrades on the Airbus this year and the 380s coming fast and furious from September onwards will probably keep things moving along for the forseeable future.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, but that's my take on it.

Yardman

fatbus
23rd Jul 2011, 13:15
2700 + drivers now for 150+ AC, 250 AC by 2020 do the math, @ 4000 total for 250 AC.Its running @ 4.5 -5 for pilots that are at 1300 to 1500.7-8 might be optimistic. When it is running 4-5 years al FO's will get the 3000 and should get the 4000 if reqd

ThreeStones
28th Jul 2011, 23:47
If your a regional CA looking at major FO in the near future in your home country, I would strongly advise stay home, bide your time and build your castle. It is work ALOT to be in your home country, with the green, the culture, facilities, lifestyle, etc,... and all that. ME is not awful, it just becomes old fast and too far from home. Now if your from a 2nd world country... say Indonesia etc... you might gain alot paywise, but your family won't be happy and you will end up commuting.. which they don't make easy... and quite possibly divorced. I have never seen so many of my colleagues on 2nd or 3rd marriages! Think of the cost of that! Good luck.

Landflap
30th Jul 2011, 08:13
Payscale & Ironbutts hit the nail on the head, assuming you have a missus, of course. Look mate, it is not about the Company either. You are a COMMERCIAL pilot and do what you do for "Hire or Reward". Start feeling loyal about what is painted on the side of your aeroplane will lead you to griefsville. Suggestion on this forum is that you might even be Management ! Good grief, really ??Do people do that ? I know I am naive but.gosh ! Oh, and, there was always an unwritten rule; once you make it to LHS of heavy stuff, stay there. You are in the market as a Captain. Downstep to RHS exposes you to market conditions that might lead you to being considered a F/O if you have to bring yourself to the market again. And, sorry, but, LHS metroliner is not the same as LHS 747. I was once Captain of my Piper Cherokee but was glad to step down to RHS Commercial Airliner. Good luck. "Management"........nah, do people do that ?

patlani1104
22nd Nov 2011, 05:39
Guys thx for your different opinions it really help me to make my own mind and take a decision. I'd really consider the opportunity that EK offers. Have nice flights aviators.