PDA

View Full Version : Flying to the snow

TriMedGroup
21st Jul 2011, 04:32
G'day,

Just after some up to date info on what the best options are for flying to the snow. Basically have narrowed it down to Mt Hotham, Mt Beauty and Jindabyne as the best strips to go into but if anyone has other suggestions I would love to know.

If anyone has prior experiences in travelling to the snow fields from any of these locations and could share any information on bus schedules, hire car availability and just general ease of getting around.

Not after a lecture on mountain flying and inclement weather operations, and yes ive read the CASA guide and the info on the Mt Hotham website.

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

Alistair.

S-N-A-F-U
21st Jul 2011, 05:43
Been into jindabyne before (nice friendly locals) good tie down area, $100.00 cab ride and your at the guthega village and chair lift, ski hire facilities also has a ski in ski out pub and lodges. I would imagine it would be about the same cost for a cab ride to perisher

Fandangled
21st Jul 2011, 06:03
Mount Beauty has a good strip that's easy to get to with a lower cloud base if coming coming from the western side of the ranges. Short 10min walk to town and just short of $60 return bus fare to Falls creek.

Ultralights
21st Jul 2011, 07:35
As SNAGU said, Jindabyne, taxi to skitube/guthega or thredbo. ski hire usually on mountain.

good quality runway now, nice parking area, but if your there for a week or so, tie it down well. fuel available at cooma.

Howard Hughes
21st Jul 2011, 07:42
I'd go Mt Beauty!:ok:

TriMedGroup
21st Jul 2011, 09:08
Awesome guys, exactly what i was after. Anyone got any ideas about Hotham? looking at the landing/parking/passenger fees it seems not worth the hassle, not to mention the crazy elevation and missed approach gradients..

Thanks, keep the ideas coming!