PDA

View Full Version : Chinny Tail Art

Nomorefreetime
20th Jul 2011, 18:33
Nice to see one of Hampshire's finest buzz the village I live in today about 16:00. Question, what's the art on the rear gearbox housing? went by a bit quick to work it out. Ta

LookingNorth
20th Jul 2011, 19:04
I understand it says "Jonathan Tapper and Richard Cook, Rest in Peace".

Or it bloody well should.

Wokkafans
20th Jul 2011, 19:42
Saw this too last week. Likewise, I couldn't make it out as they were too low and fast as they passed over the house (despite three passes :ok: :ok:)

I think it might be something to do with 30-years of the Chinook at Odiham. Long may it continue:D

NutLoose
20th Jul 2011, 19:42
Will be the RAF making me feel old, as I was on em when they arrived, see

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5939809710_38f011837e_o.jpg

from

Shaun's RIAT Extravaganza- Part 1 Thursday Arrivals - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=110524)

Bubblewindow
21st Jul 2011, 19:07
It flew through the Mach Loop at low level today. There were plenty of photographers in situ so I'm sure there will be some great photos on the forums tonight!

BW

Wiretensioner
21st Jul 2011, 19:45
After 30 years of sterling service from the Falklands to Afghanistan surely they could have come up with something better than that. It's terrible!

Wiretensioner

XR219
21st Jul 2011, 23:48
I think it might be something to do with 30-years of the Chinook at Odiham. Long may it continue

30 years with the RAF.... but 50 years since the first Chinook prototype flew :eek:

walter kennedy
22nd Jul 2011, 05:41
<<After 30 years of sterling service from the Falklands to Afghanistan ...>>
yet we are asked to accept that it may have gone wrong just when it was carrying the security team back in June 1994. :*

MG
22nd Jul 2011, 08:36
How irrelevant!

Walter Kennedy or Walter Mitty?

Teamchief
23rd Jul 2011, 14:15
God I feel old! Remember being at Odiham before 18 went out to Gut. and as 7 was forming. Not enough Chinny's to go around so 18's aircraft had their colours painted on one side of the aft pylon and 7's on the other!

Was posted to 7 Sqn before the number had been decided upon. I think it was called X Sqn (UK Chinook Sqn). At the time there was talk of it possibly being 66 Sqn as it had been a Belvedere Sqn.

Still, had a good p*** up after the formation parade!!:O

NutLoose
23rd Jul 2011, 18:56
God I feel old! Remember being at Odiham before 18 went out to Gut. and as 7 was forming. Not enough Chinny's to go around so 18's aircraft had their colours painted on one side of the aft pylon and 7's on the other!

Was posted to 7 Sqn before the number had been decided upon. I think it was called X Sqn (UK Chinook Sqn). At the time there was talk of it possibly being 66 Sqn as it had been a Belvedere Sqn.

Still, had a good p*** up after the formation parade!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Was all packed to go to Germany, went to the 7 Sqn formation p*** up the night before I left, had a Colour TV left over that I simply didn't know what to do with, was a good un and not that old, managed to sell it to one of guys I knew from 7 at the party and he collected it AM before I and my Hangover left for Germany. :ok:

Teamchief
25th Jul 2011, 18:46
That confirms it then Nutloose......................we're both old! But whilst on the subject, I'll always be baffled by the size of 18's hanger doors at Gut! Any idea why they were so big?

ShyTorque
25th Jul 2011, 19:03
So the Russians could get their smaller helicopters inside, post invasion.

chinook240
25th Jul 2011, 19:33
We were told the hanger was built to fit a gantry in the roof that could remove the aft vertical shaft of a Chinook. Good thread drift?:ok:

Rigga
25th Jul 2011, 20:50
18's shed was indeed tall enough to do that job - If you placed your cab between the lights - and breezy enough to mess it up when both ends were open.

My favourite theory was that, with all the doors open as wide as possible, even 18's lineys couldn't hit 'em.

...oops!

To get back on the thread...

Remember the 18 red back-end Horsey thing?

And all the visiting yank's saying "Why did you guys call it 'Blow Job'?"

Classic design, eh?

NutLoose
25th Jul 2011, 20:50
Bit like the ground equip store at Odious for ground power sets, rumour had it meters and feet got mixed up in the planning somewhere.. hence about 10 foot deep and 30 plus foot high lol..

Base hangar at Brize has/ had a Conway build stand that was supposed to be sunken in a pit, but was erected above ground with the gantry crane just able to clear it, so could never lift an engine into it hence was never used.

sorry for the drift....

chinook240
25th Jul 2011, 21:20
My favourite aircraft:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1080961M.jpg (javascript:popUp('/popup.php?q=1080961'))

NutLoose
25th Jul 2011, 22:32
What's with the lone chair for Johnny Nomates?

Hilife
26th Jul 2011, 10:55
That’ll be for 18 squadron’s fan club. ;)

I too remember Fast Freddie arriving at Odiham on a wet weekend around October time in 1980. I would imagine Boeing’s R.M. was onboard, although could never remember the name of the Stetson topped loadmaster?

Into ASF for about 6 weeks of tyre kicking before turning up at the OCU in December if my memory serves me correctly. Many fond memories getting to know her in those early days.

Heavens, I’m getting old.

rej
26th Jul 2011, 11:22
How irrelevant!

Walter Kennedy or Walter Mitty?

MG - Surely Walter is entitled to his thoughts ? IMHO he might have a valid point.....if you know better then you have the right to elaborate.