PDA

View Full Version : Mud Maps

John Galt
19th Jul 2011, 20:37
Anyone have some tips on making Mud Maps ie tracks/distances superimposed over say a sectional or google map? What about Jepp View? Any free resources on-line? Thanks in advance. JG

Agaricus bisporus
19th Jul 2011, 21:51
Mud maps??????

John Galt
19th Jul 2011, 23:19
Sorry, didn't explain myself very well. I wanted to plot Rigs/platforms that we service onto a map to be used as a guide. Thanks, JG

sasben
20th Jul 2011, 00:38
Mud maps are a very Australian thing it seems. People in a few countries I have flown in, have no idea when I draw one up myself for a NAV

Ascend Charlie
20th Jul 2011, 00:50
try this one:
Sentient Software AirNAV VFR best moving map and flight planner ...

It prints maps in any type, WAC, VTC, VNC, ERC, TAC etc and you can put any lines, boxes etc you want onto them. Print a fresh map each flight, make as much a mess of it as you want.:8

Err,, assuming you are in Oz, that is.....

Senior Pilot
21st Jul 2011, 23:53
Mud Maps (http://www.mud-maps.com/) have an iPhone and iPad application: looking at the data base, 3,221 maps for Australia against 3,002 for Europe may show a slight Southern Hemisphere bias :p

osmosis
22nd Jul 2011, 07:01
Seems like not too many posters on here actually know what a mud map is. Imagine you land at farmer Brown's spread (the size of which is
larger than some European countries) not all of it contiguous, with the intention of spraying his crops. He wants THAT paddock of a few thousand acres sprayed, the one with some trees in it but not the one next door to it and also the next three big paddocks the power lines cross but not the one he just has just sown but the one he finished sowing the day before. You're lookin' at him and he's lookin' at you and he thinks you've got it until you start dribblin' out the side of your mouth and he gets the picture and starts to draw random lines in the mud with his gumboot because, these flyboys, they need everything drawn out for them. Mud maps: once upon a time that was about as good as it got. Get it?

As for mudmap apps... what'll they think of next? Moving map displays?

misterbonkers
22nd Jul 2011, 08:36
MudmAPP? Could be a winner for someone.