PDA

View Full Version : For Police Helicopter Pilots with BALPA membership

malreeves
19th Jul 2011, 13:26
Dear All,

Head-above -the-parapit time regarding NPAS and future employment.

Under the NPAS plan the South Yorkshire Police (SYP) Helicopter is to be withdrawn from service with subsequent consequences with respect to Pilot employment. I have asked for BALPA assistance in ensuring that we have the best possible representation in any future negotiations for the SYP pilots.

It would assist me (and probably YOU reading this), in the near future to have some idea of exactly how many of us are BALPA members and who may therefore benefit from BALPA assistance.

If you are happy to divulge this information I will; a) keep it confidential, and b) ensure that you are kept in the loop via email as the plot-thickens!!

As the implications of the NPAS proposals become more apparent I think those who believe that because "their helicopter" is remaining in-place and that "their jobs" are therefore safe - may be proved wrong! I hope you will assist, if so please reply with a suitable email address through P.Ms.

Many thanks

Mal

What Limits
19th Jul 2011, 14:29
Good luck with that Mal.

I asked for assistance from BALPA around the time of the challenge to the "Age 60" rule.

Their assistance was not forthcoming, therefore I resigned.

malreeves
19th Jul 2011, 14:48
Dear What Limits,

Sorry to hear of the bad experience.

BALPA supported me in defence of a prosecution brought by the CAA for alleged reckless endangerment. Two days in Court with a BALPA appointented Barrister meant I kept my Licence, stayed out of Jail and had costs against the CAA for a "frivolous prosecution". My annual subs will never repay what they paid-out for in my defence so I will rely on the offer of support from the BALPA Principle Negotiator on our behalf in this matter.

Regards

Mal

SilsoeSid
19th Jul 2011, 16:22
I have asked for BALPA assistance in ensuring that we have the best possible representation in any future negotiations..

I would be interested in their reply Mal.
They weren't interested in the slightest when we asked for advice and assistance when switching from PAS to direct employment a few years ago...

..and of course the age thing!
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/293283-balpa-refuse-help-its-membership.html

As the implications of the NPAS proposals become more apparent I think those who believe that because "their helicopter" is remaining in-place and that "their jobs" are therefore safe - may be proved wrong!

Hands up those who think BALPA would get involved with that little chestnut !

Bertie Thruster
20th Jul 2011, 14:12
Recent rumour of change about the 'age 60 single pilot public transport limit' in Germany. Anybody heard anything? (BT, age 59, asked nonchalantly!)

malreeves
20th Jul 2011, 14:30
All,

BALPA have sent a letter to CC Marshal expressing concerns of Members and requesting clarification and/or meeting..............listening out!

Mal

ps Positive responses preffered to prevent mission-creep please!

SilsoeSid
20th Jul 2011, 14:53
I think that I am positive in saying there might be a long wait ahead!

Fortyodd2
20th Jul 2011, 21:29
Are BALPA aware they are writing to someone with no aviation experience or knowledge whatsoever?

malreeves
21st Jul 2011, 16:01
All,

I think that looking at NPAS proposals will make you realise that the whole lot has been dreamed-up by persons without any aviation knowledge. However, bigger brains than mine are trying to point out the pitfalls and eronious statements that have either been ignored or whitewashed by NPAS.

At present my biggest concern is to protect the employment of my Pilots, this issue has nothing to do with the NPAS operational proposals but plenty to do with HR departments, TUPE etc. The new National employer (NPAS) have legal obligations as they take over our and your jobs, in this case I feel a direct approach to the person who is meant to be figure-heading the organisation might actually get someone, somewhere in the NPIA/NPAS to realise that these issues have to be addressed sooner than later.

Work-groups and work-streams can proceed with as many ideas as they like but NPAS must address the HR situation before anything can move. I think this is in all our interests?

Mal