PDA

View Full Version : New developments for Olympic airspace restrictions

fulham fan
19th Jul 2011, 11:04
Developments of the restrictions announced today here:

Development of London 2012 Airspace Restrictions Announced | CAA Newsroom | CAA (http://tinyurl.com/3b7znsv)

rans6andrew
19th Jul 2011, 12:43
the security numpties are still showing zero understanding of aviation at the training school/recreational level. Gliders with transponders? Microlights with transponders? Flight plans for training sorties? Flight plans with timings and turning points for gliders?

They are also showing a complete lack of understanding of the possible threat posed by light aviation. If you want to deliver death and destruction into a built up area, a glider or a microlight is going to be a long way down your list of options. A white van is less likely to attract attention, will carry a bigger load and is easier to pilot. Why would a light aircraft even be considered?

Rans6....

jxc
19th Jul 2011, 21:01
Wasn't it in America where that guy flew a PA28 ? into the tax office or something along those lines

Duchess_Driver
19th Jul 2011, 21:07
Why would a light aircraft even be considered?

The thing is that they can't tell you without shooting you afterwards!:ok:

At least there is apparently some movement in the direction of sense!

IanPZ
19th Jul 2011, 21:56
Isn't it peculiar. I am somewhat relieved to see the changes, because it at laest means the airstrip I fly from will only be shut down for 4 weeks instead of 2 and a bit months.

Just goes to show how quickly I ended up accepting the original plans as "nothing we can do" and thus see this as a good thing, rather than still bad.

Does that make me a cynic?

More to the point, do you think this was what they always intended. Announce incredibly harsh rules....relax them a couple of months later, everyone will be grateful.

What do you think?

jxc
19th Jul 2011, 22:52
Ian PZ

It does smack of politics make it sound really bad then give a better option a few weeks later and making them feel like heroes

UV
19th Jul 2011, 23:02
More to the point, do you think this was what they always intended. Announce incredibly harsh rules....relax them a couple of months later, everyone will be grateful

Yes isn't that standard operating procedure?

You see it all the time for example with property developers (i.e...ask for 1000 houses when you really only want to build 100)...and our beloved CAA (i.e...a few years ago following a collision...make Radio mandatory in ALL classes of aircraft...later dropped).

The list goes on and on.

mikehallam
19th Jul 2011, 23:18
Small a/c per se may not be much of a threat, but they do produce RADAR traces which may make it harder with lots of unknowns on screen to detect a real threat sized airborne device.
Could be clearer skies simplify the look out for rogue planes ?
mike.

rans6andrew
20th Jul 2011, 14:49
erm.... remind me, did the aircraft involved in the 911 incidents have transponders? flight plans? necessary permissions to be in the air?

Did that ensure security?

so what is the point of the restrictions we are having inflicted upon us?

Rans6Andrew - who doesn't have a transponder in his aircraft.

stickandrudderman
20th Jul 2011, 17:23
I think if I was 80 years old and about to hang up my flying helmet, I might be tempted to fly directly over the opening ceremony, just to prove how utterly, utterly pointless this whole excercise is.:ugh::ugh:

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Jul 2011, 18:22
You see it all the time for example with property developers (i.e...ask for 1000 houses when you really only want to build 100)...
As a councillor, sometime member of planning committees, and currently planning portfolio holder, I do wonder why they do that.

All it does is piss people off and make them much more cautious about the sensible application when they finally submit it. Plus of course they've wasted a fortune on planning consultants and lawyers to get to that stage.

petitb
20th Jul 2011, 19:57
The coordinating authority for the olympic airspace decision is A|D|S which is the old (new) SBAC, who just happen to be the organisers of the 2012 Farnborough Air show, and which airfield is also covered by the restrictions.:rolleyes:

eharding
21st Jul 2011, 00:00
I think if I was 80 years old and about to hang up my flying helmet, I might be tempted to fly directly over the opening ceremony, just to prove how utterly, utterly pointless this whole excercise is.:ugh::ugh:

No need to burn any avgas.

As recent events have shown, all you have to do to express your displeasure is walk up to the President of the IOC during the opening ceremony, and mash him straight in the chops with a paper plate full of shaving foam.

Unless the President of the IOC has the foresight to appoint a fully paid up Ninja chick as his wife, no-one will lay a finger on you.

gpn01
21st Jul 2011, 21:54
Small a/c per se may not be much of a threat, but they do produce RADAR traces which may make it harder with lots of unknowns on screen to detect a real threat sized airborne device.
Could be clearer skies simplify the look out for rogue planes ?
mike.

There was a suggestion a while ago that air defence would be provided using UAV's. These don't have a see-and-be-seen capability and therefore rely either on segregation (as per how trials are currently undertaken in Wales), radar contro (which requires all aircraft to be under radar control) or using interoperability aids - e.g. transponders.

Problem is that some light aircraft, microlights and gliders don't carry transponders or even radios. Therefore the easiest solution, for those with a command and control perspective, is to ground them and thereby provide instant segregation. Problem solved.