PDA

View Full Version : Ukrainian Air Force IL76 departing RIAT.

Chidken Sangwich
19th Jul 2011, 08:47
"... V1... gear up... rotate...":ooh:

View topic - RIAT IL-76 takeoff incident (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35437)

Bubblewindow
19th Jul 2011, 09:14
****! The WoW switch must be on the forward set of mains!
Or maybe they don't have one :uhoh:

BW

MrBernoulli
19th Jul 2011, 15:07
I wonder if there is an auto-brake feature that operates after gear-up is selected? Perhaps that is what caused the smoke ('dragging' wheels) and subsequent wheel fire?

Bubblewindow
19th Jul 2011, 16:19
Perhaps that is what caused the smoke ('dragging' wheels) and subsequent wheel fire?

Was there a fire?? If your referring to the last photo look closely.... The bright colour near the starboard main is actually the show centre datum.
My theory on the smoke is that the mains started to retract and (possibly turn to fit in the bay) and so the wheels were not running true with the aircraft centreline so the tyres where being scrubbed along the runway rather than rolling freely. Just a thought.
Anybody know how the landing went ??

BW

Buster Hyman
19th Jul 2011, 23:21
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ66S75Xzpw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ66S75Xzpw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
From the same website, but different thread. Has a good view of the tyres & gear doors.

jayteeto
20th Jul 2011, 08:40
At the show in the 80's, we watched one of those huge russkie things blow an engine on the take off run. The engine 'innards' were left on the runway, one hell of a bang!!

Dengue_Dude
20th Jul 2011, 09:10
Some aircraft have the WOW on the nose gear.

I suppose it is just possible that the wheels are braked upon retraction and this occurred whilst still in contact with the runway.

Either way he was a bit of a ********, people watching this sort of stuff are used to watching FJ doing all the high energy stuff. A bloody lorry trying to do 'smart' stuff is usually for the crew (in my experience) - pointless.

Often results in stuff like the famous B52 over cooking it, or the C17. Glad I've stopped - yes 'we' too did it when we were young and immortal.

Safe landings , . . . I suspect there were a bunch a people on board who hadn't 'bought into' this frippery.

vs69
20th Jul 2011, 11:04
Without knowing the ins and outs of an IL76 most big jets have de-spin braking so pressure is ported to the brakes on gear up selection which appears to be the case here, oops.....

unclenelli
23rd Jul 2011, 18:33
Looks to me like the gear legs were compressed as they were still bearing weight. This didn't allow the clearance required for the doors to open, so the wheels were braked, not by brake pads/shoes, but by the doors rubbing on the upper surface of the tyres.

D-State
23rd Jul 2011, 20:28
Unlikely how could the doors be opened and closed on the ground for maintenance if that was the case