PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Reserves...

Lima Juliet
18th Jul 2011, 20:12
Here is the awaited Future Reserves 2020 Paper: http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/263D5F71-30CE-45BC-9442-398B1DC12C93/0/futurereserves_2020.pdf

Headlines for aviators:

Increased role of reserves for all Services.

Study into use of reservist Flights iso op flying in UK.

200 extra FTRS posts in RAF.

Consideration of reservist use for SAR and Coastal Protection.

Expansion of RN Air Branch iso FAA.

Increase in size of RAF Regt RAuxAF.

Trim Stab
18th Jul 2011, 20:38
And in another three years, they will downsize the reserves again...

This has been going on for as long as I can remember - I suppose it coincides with the three year tours for top-neddy in charge of reserves strategy.

Corporal Clott
18th Jul 2011, 20:45
Trim Stab

Whilst I share your suspicion, isn't the clue in the title "Future Reserves 2020" indicative that it might last more than 3 years??!

CPL Clott

dallas
18th Jul 2011, 20:48
Problem with reserves is nobody can ever quite decide what to do with them. They're a handy political tool for cuts because it looks like cover isn't being reduced, but for all bar WW3 they're waaay more expensive to use than regulars. And while they're often very keen few can be used for prolonged periods due to both expense and because they have real lives, jobs etc. Reserves with the sort of utility that's actually needed to make a real difference are often otherwise known as 'unemployed'. A good bunch, but desperately in need of a purpose.

iRaven
18th Jul 2011, 22:02
Quite a few FTRS already out there doing a good job. All ex-regular with no external badge differences - so you'd hardly notice the difference anyway. I suspect the 200 will be the tip of a large iceberg once these studies have been done, notwithstanding what reserve Dallas has about reserves (sorry I couldn't resist).

Bottom line question is: Why can't we make some of the shiney-arsed REMFs into FTRS to save money for the full commitment regulars? Seems a non-brainer to me...

iRaven