PDA

View Full Version : Lossie Typhoons

abzheli
18th Jul 2011, 18:39
With the northern QRA transferring to Lossie i am wondering if the base is large enough to support not only 3 GR4 squadrons but also the Typhoons. How many squadrons of Typhoons where to be based at Leuchars and will they all be transferred in due course.

5 Forward 6 Back
18th Jul 2011, 18:48
Yes, is the simple answer. They've just disbanded a GR4 squadron there, so that leaves you room for one. I'm pretty sure at one point Lossie was home to 5 squadrons (someone who has a better memory than me can correct me if I'm wrong; weren't there 4 sqns there plus the Jag OCU when it was 16 Sqn?), so you could maybe squeeze in an extra one.

Failing that, as the Typhoon force is expanding while the TGRF is contracting, I'm sure they'll figure something out. One GR4 sqn out, one Typhoon sqn in, etc etc.

MFC_Fly
18th Jul 2011, 19:16
Lossie is a BIG base, plenty of room.

Marham has also just lost a Tonka Sqn, so one could be moved south from Lossie to make even more space there for the Typhoons.

just another jocky
18th Jul 2011, 19:52
Marham could take 2 more sqns.

Softie
18th Jul 2011, 20:27
That is why today's announcement was the only sensible one. Lossie has plenty of space. In the late 70s it had 36 Jaguars and the TWCU and that was before the HAS sites were built. More recently 3 operational and one double sqn OCU of Tornados. Leuchars was always limited by its lack of real estate squeezed between the Eden Estuary and Earlshall Castle. After the loss of Kinloss, Moray would have been devastated if Lossie was also to go.

E-Spy
18th Jul 2011, 21:03
just another jocky: Marham could take 2 more sqns.

I know we just closed one sqn there, but where would you put the other? We moved out of the hangars a few years ago to make way for industry....

Hummingfrog
18th Jul 2011, 22:08
Lossiemouth is a far bigger station than Leuchars, for instance Lossie has 14 hangars while Leuchars has 7. Lossie has two large hard standings along with a disused runway for parking while Leuchars has only one hard standing. Lossie has 2 runways capable of taking FJ while Leuchars has one.

HF

ranger703
18th Jul 2011, 22:38
Lossie has plenty of room!

In the good old days Lossie had:

12Sqn Buccaneers in the Northern HAS
208Sqn Buccaneers in the Southern HAS
237 OCU on Alpha and Bravo
16Sqn Jaguars on Delta
8Sqn Shackletons on Charlie

That still left Lima available for visitors and exercise traffic of which I've seen upwards of 20 aircraft parked on,including Canberra's. They also used to use infront of hangar 1 for visitors when VASS was situated their. Plenty of hangarage still available and as already mentioned 2 decent sized operational runways.

2Planks
19th Jul 2011, 06:42
And definitely room for a one star staish and AOS and a gp capt for each force element!!:E

ORAC
19th Jul 2011, 07:03
IIRC, CO Leuchars got the AOS/1* rank because it was close to Edinburgh/Holyrood (and St Andrews for all the VIPs flying in for a round of golf :hmm:)

Not sure the remaining assets/stations, and location, make retaining the AOS post sensible or viable; maintaining LM CO as a Gp Cpt post would seem logical.

Whilst LU as a base may be handed over to the army, the question remains about what happens to the airfield. Do the retain it for a bolthole for LM or maintain KS instead? Do they keep it as an airhead for the army, or perhaps even sell it off as a commercial airport?

Hummingfrog
19th Jul 2011, 08:38
ranger703

haven't you missed something off your list? (south of main runway, west of cross runway)

HF

Beagle-eye
19th Jul 2011, 09:18
How long before we see MOL advertising flight to/from "Edinburgh Leuchars" :*

B-E

Pontius Navigator
19th Jul 2011, 09:36
ORAC, if they go true to form they will probably stick a great fence around the hangars and weld the doors shut. They they will use the huge swathes of grass as a running track for little tanks and add an assault course or two.

Finding something to do with the little dinky hangars will be more of a challenge. Probably use them as hobby clubs etc :}

Skeleton
19th Jul 2011, 12:42
Probably the right choice. Having said that and served at both it is a shame that one had to go.

Lets just remember the people who left the Leuchars rwy and never came back.

RIP Gents you will never be forgotten.

just another jocky
19th Jul 2011, 12:55
I know we just closed one sqn there, but where would you put the other? We moved out of the hangars a few years ago to make way for industry....

The work has already been done by Ops Wg several months ago. They stated that there was even enough room to squeeze XV(R) Sqn in. Not exactly sure where the sqn accomodation would be, but there is certainly room.

ranger703
19th Jul 2011, 13:18
Hummingfrog,

I humbly apologise,how could I have forgotten the mighty 202Sqn!

PFMG
19th Jul 2011, 13:59
As someone who spent 15 years in Morayshire, during times of variable support from the locals, I just wonder how long the "Save our Scottish Bases" sympathy reverts back to the normal letters of complaint in the Northern Jock about the noise caused by the Typhoons?

2Planks
19th Jul 2011, 15:24
ORAC - AOSNI (as it was then) moved from Pitreavie when it closed to Leuchars. IIRC the first 'solution' was a One Star AOSNI and a Gp Capt OC Ops - that was a functional shambles so they finally settled on One Star AOS and Stn Cdr plus an SOP OC Ops. I suppose they could add another one star to the redundancy list but I woudn't bet on it.

Regarding the runway - I hope they keep it as there's a lot of airspace between the cables at Leeming (limited hours) and Lossie.

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2011, 15:28
I was thinking divs myself.

If the runways at Kinloss and Leuchars are 'left to nature' then the only alternative is the civvy airports. Although useable I can't imagine the airport authorities will be too chuffed to have a fully armed Q-jet parked up outside.

MFC_Fly
19th Jul 2011, 15:55
Who says the runway at Kinloss will be 'left to nature'? ;)

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2011, 16:40
Hence my use of the word 'if'.

Although, it wouldn't be much use as a weather div.

glad rag
19th Jul 2011, 19:46
Probably the right choice. Having said that and served at both it is a shame that one had to go.

Lets just remember the people who left the Leuchars rwy and never came back.

RIP Gents you will never be forgotten. Indeed, apart from those from the RAF, I wonder if the Norwegian memorial will be respected?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/jsb_1888/LEU-08-0424-out-unc002.jpg

THIS STONE COMMEMORATES
THE BROTHERHOOD IN ARMS
BETWEEN BRITISH AND
NORWEGIAN AIRMEN
WHO FOUGHT FROM THESE
NORTHERN SHORES
IN WORLD WAR II
1940-1945.
WE HONOUR THOSE
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES

At bottom of stone
Erected June 7th 1957
By Royal Norwegian Air Force

Duncan D'Sorderlee
19th Jul 2011, 21:11
I would be most surprised if it is desecrated by the Army.

Duncs:ok:

abzheli
29th Jul 2011, 19:57
In the latest issue of Air International under the heading "Latest British Defence Cuts Announced" it states that when 6 SQN and another unit yet to form relocate to Lossie, the 3 GR4 SQN's (12, 15 and 617) will transfer to Marham. Is this true or have Air International made an error in their reporting.:confused:

RumPunch
29th Jul 2011, 21:54
Well nothing has been said at Lossie on the Squadrons fate but as we start to see increases in Typhoons then my guess we will start to see the GR4s either depart or transfer to Marham. Still got another 18 months at least before the phoon gets to Lossie (thats not confirmed btw).
Realistically the wind down of Afghan and in 2 years the decision makers will have a better idea of the the big picture. (libya right now is the big question)

bobward
1st Aug 2011, 12:07
Very strange as the local BBC news in Norfolk had a big splurge some weeks ago about Marham remaining the home of Tornado. According to them, the Lossie GR4's would come south, mainly because BAe had a large maintenance facility at Marham.

The same report said that they were now starting a 'put the JSF at Marham' campaign up as well.

Maybe Alexus (a local BBC reporter) could confirm that. he should be able to as he reported from out side the Marham gate when the announcement came out.

NutherA2
4th Aug 2011, 12:08
I hope they don’t run the Leuchars facilities down too quickly, or there won’t be a handy bolthole to house the Typhoons while the Lossie runway is being resurfaced to the same standard as the one they are using right now. I suppose the Tornadoes can always detach to Marham.

airpolice
4th Aug 2011, 13:53
nuthera2:

Leeming.

Green Flash
4th Aug 2011, 20:27
.... or Kinloss?!!!