PDA

View Full Version : AVM Ron Dick - Grand Canyon flight.

Al_Paché
17th Jul 2011, 16:51
Not too sure if it's been posted in this forum before - a random find on a lazy Sunday. Enjoy.

Jetting Through the Grand Canyon | AirSpaceMag.com (http://www.airspacemag.com/multimedia/videos/Jetting-Through-the-Grand-Canyon.html)

Dengue_Dude
17th Jul 2011, 17:11
Nice bit of film that.

In Jan 80, had the opportunity to do the same when flying with an STS crew inbound to Nellis in a C130.

Obviously, we were in the wider parts of the canyon, but it was very impressive.

ATC seemed OK once they ascertained our aircraft type (when we pulled out - not that they didn't know where the canyon was!!). I bet you can't do that now.

Thanks for posting.

Could be the last?
17th Jul 2011, 17:54
Makes the Tornado low level during GW1 look average!!!!! And I appreciate the locals weren't shooting at them in the Canyon, but even so........:ok:

kiwibrit
17th Jul 2011, 22:50
Thanks for that. :D

Big Alan
18th Jul 2011, 00:34
Nice to see Jock Watson in the comments to the original video saying he also flew down the Grand Canyon. In his case in the early 70s in a Belfast. I remember that trip well, I was the navigator. Memorable stuff.

foldingwings
18th Jul 2011, 12:01
Did similar in the Grand Canyon with a 9-ship of Buccs on a quiet Sunday transit from Bergstrom to Nellis (leg flown at low-level all the way, via Albuquerque) whilst deploying 16 Sqn from Laarbruch (via St Mawgan, Lajes, Gander, Seymour Johnston and Bergstrom) for Red Flag back in the early 80s! The subsequent 9-ship flyby on arrival at Nellis was almost disrupted by ATC Local (who had somehow missed the point of the Lead's call for a Flyby) telling us to 'Break Now' as the Diamond 9 got to the midpoint of the runway!

Happy Days

Foldie:D

PS. Such was the fuel load v consumption of the Bucc, there was no need for AAR on that deployment!

LowObservable
18th Jul 2011, 15:27
Somehow I envision the backseater in the bar several hours later, still quivering despite multiple measures of Kentucky Valium and mumbling faintly "****ing Limey lunatic, tried to ****ing kill me... can I transfer to payroll?"

Fareastdriver
18th Jul 2011, 18:56
He did a lot better than the RAuxAF Vampire pilot in the Avon Gorge on the last day of the Royal Auxilary Air Force in 1957.

jindabyne
18th Jul 2011, 19:09
Did similar in the Grand Canyon with a 9-ship of Buccs on a quiet Sunday

But not quite as good - after all, the front seaters had to appease your hands-off qualms. You well know that most rear seaters went quiet in commentary when those in front were enjoying themseves. (and don't be smutty in reply).

L J R
18th Jul 2011, 19:39
In the '90s there was a USAF VR and IR route about 150 miles east of the GC (Bryce Canyon & Lake Powell ISTR) that followed a similar (but not as well known) canyon. It could take a 6 ship F-111 from Cannon enroute to Nellis. It was not as long, nor deep, but was a lot narrower, and the momentum of 'The Pig' made for some interesting moments of inertia management. I seem to remember that you could stay in the valley for (maybe) 5-6 minutes. Very 'Star Wars' - and better than the 'Star Wars Valley' of Scotland.

There are also examples of this type of valley in far N/W Australia, and even other smaller ones close to Katoomba in Sydney's west.

Performing low level aeros upon exit (with students) were frowned upon though.

....nice video of days gone by. :D

Two's in
18th Jul 2011, 20:38
It's a bit harder now...

SFAR No. 50-2 -- Special Flight Rules in the Vicinity of the Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Section 1. Applicability. This rule prescribes special operating rules for all persons operating aircraft in the following airspace, designated as the Grand Canyon National Park Special Flight Rules Area:

That airspace extending upward from the surface up to but not including 14,500 feet MSL within an area bounded by a line beginning at ...(defines area)

foldingwings
19th Jul 2011, 09:53
Jinda,

had to appease your hands-off qualms

You know me, I always flew 'hands off'!! Only used the rt hand when flying my MARTEL!

most rear seaters went quiet in commentary when those in front were enjoying themseLves (Sp - See me!)

I never flew with them and was always up for a bit of fun, as you well know, whether it was in the air or in the bar!

Enjoy your quiet break!

Foldie:cool:

PS. Me, smutty! Whatever gave you that idea?