PDA

View Full Version : Autair Percival Prince G-AMLZ

PrincePembroke
17th Jul 2011, 11:35
Anyone know what Autair used Percival Prince G-AMLZ for during its time with them 1968 to 1970? It was registered to Timothy Meadows Clutterbuck who was the "Charterer" rather than owner. He was an Autair pilot. I believe it was based at Leavesden.
Thanks
Tom Singfield
tom(at)singfield.freeserve.co.uk

OUAQUKGF Ops
17th Jul 2011, 13:28
Re previous post I seem to recall that this aircraft would appear at Luton from time to time and if my memory serves me right it was flown by Maurice Rose. As far as I know it was not operated by Autair International but might possibly have being doing work for Autair Helicopters. I cannot remember any pilot called Clutterbuck working for Autair International period 1966-70. According to 'Colours in the Sky' Tim Clutterbuck an ex wartime Squadron Leader and P.R.U. ace was Autair Helicopters 'Roving Director' in Africa. Hope this helps!

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Jul 2011, 10:18
Tom, if you go to search mode on Pprune and key in 'Clutterbuck' you will find a bit about Tim Clutterbuck under the threads about Mike Strangways and also John Crewdson. Tim was evidently a pilot with Autair Helicopters having earlier worked on film projects with John Crewdson.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jul 2011, 11:08
Logged it at London Airport when it was operated by Stewart, Smith & Co in August 1960. (Surely a mistake; I can't be that old!).

Charlie Bangers
18th Jul 2011, 17:38
I worked in Autair International Ops from 67 to late 69 and don't remember seeing it at Luton at all. Feel sure it must have been used by the Helicopter division.

Proplinerman
19th Jul 2011, 19:25
T M Clutterbuck is a name I remember from my CAMs of the early 1970s, probably because it was rather unusual. I saw G-AMLZ at Coventry on 16th March 1974-here is a link to the photo I took of it then. As my caption says, the aircraft survives today in preservation, with the Jetstream Club at Speke. Before that, I think it was at Caernarvon and then for a short time recently at Millom? in the Lake District.

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-AMLZ City Airways Percival P60e Prince by Michael Blank (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6127150&nseq=0)

treadigraph
19th Jul 2011, 21:47
Tim Clutterbuck's name appears in the credits for the film "The Blue Max", and also, literally speaking, in "Everything but the Flak" by Martin Caidin about ferrying three B-17s across the pond for John Crewdson and the film "The War Lover" in 1962.