PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Hunters

jamesdevice
16th Jul 2011, 23:36
Something I've wondered about for years
back in 1982, around two weeks into the Falklands conflict I went for a blast up the A303 on my bike and came across a very close formation of nine Hunters at low level heading west across Salisbury plain, parallel to the road.
As far as I can remember the paint-work was three colour: dark brown / light brown / pale green.
Any idea who / what they would have been? I had visions of a "secret squadron" getting ready to be sent to Chile, but I assume thats pure fantasy? Or Chilean pilots in training? Am I right in thinking that by then the RAF had lost its Hunters? They certainly weren't the FRDAU flight from Yeovilton - I was more than familiar with those.

Archimedes
17th Jul 2011, 00:27
The RAF still had Hunters in 1982 - they were part of the TWUs (alongside Hawks by that point), and two-seat Hunters were part of the Buccaneer force until that type went out of service.

RAFEngO74to09
17th Jul 2011, 04:19
There are anecdotal stories out there that former RAF Hunters were supplied to Chile in 1982 for "services rendered" in support of UK operations in the South Atlantic.

Here is a link to one - make of it what you will.

Chile (http://www.spyflight.co.uk/chile.htm)

rolandpull
17th Jul 2011, 08:36
They 'flew' from Brize inside Flying Tiger's 747 freighters. They were loaded on the South side of the airfield. Years after having seen this going on I bumped into one of the loadies who by coincidence worked in the same office at LHR.

Chainkicker
17th Jul 2011, 09:11
What a pain it was getting them into the 747s as well ;)

newt
18th Jul 2011, 11:33
Remember him well JENKS. Such a shame they stopped the detachment after that!

foldingwings
18th Jul 2011, 11:47
They 'flew' from Brize inside Flying Tiger's 747 freighters

Bloody hell, I never knew that a 747 was long enough to get a Hunter airborne inside it!

Foldie:yuk:

Getting my coat but misplaced my hat!

Wander00
18th Jul 2011, 12:33
Was that when my old and sadly departed mate Ian A_R ejected from a Hunter that had departed controlled flight, and buggered his back? (RIP)