PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Ferrying Info

birddog254
16th Jul 2011, 11:40
Gday
As title would suggest im after info on Aircraft Ferrying, or more to the point how to get into this line of work.
Ive recently compleated my IR, have approx 760TT, with time on the usual c172, c200 and Airvan along with small other assortments. Im not scared of weather or bush strips or anything like that, but im not stupid or a "cowboy" either.
Any information either via this or PM is much appreciated
Cheers in advance
Birddog

16th Jul 2011, 12:08
Jim Hazleton, if you can persuade him to take you under his wing than that would be right down your ally.
Three Cessna 210 from the USA in the last thirty days plus bonanza from the states few months back. Hes always on the move.

Capt Fathom
16th Jul 2011, 12:15
Im not scared of weather or bush strips or anything like that

And therein lies the problem! YOU SHOULD BE!

Capn Bloggs
16th Jul 2011, 12:38
He did say he's not stupid or a cowboy...

Tankengine
16th Jul 2011, 12:42
How would he know?:eek:

Air Ace
16th Jul 2011, 12:56
Jim Hazleton still ferrying aircraft? Would have throught he retired long ago. Wonder how many hops over the pond he's done? :eek:

"...have approx 760TT, with time on the usual c172, c200 and Airvan..." Think you will find it very difficult to get ferry insurance at that experience level.

birddog254
16th Jul 2011, 23:05
Capt Fathem - Why should i be? Im obviously conscious and respectful of the weather, Im not going to go punching into a Thunderstorm or a cyclone anytime soon.
As for bush strips, I dont see what to be scared off?

Air Ace
16th Jul 2011, 23:30
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are not many old bold pilots.

Aussie Bob
16th Jul 2011, 23:39
As for bush strips, I dont see what to be scared off?

Oh dear, I don't think you have been to many bush strips. Try 20 knots of xwind with 400 metres and a few kangaroos. I am not scared for myself but I am scared by the thought of damaging someone else s aeroplane.

The best ferry jobs are the crop dusters but somehow I think they will want 760 hours of tail wheel time and a healthy respect for bush work.

Try putting an ad in Aviation Trader and running it for a few months.

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2011, 00:00
You need a wider portfolio of skills and experience so when a potential customer rings you and asks for his Mooney to be delivered from Port Moresby to Hobart, you have the correct answers ready to go. Not much future in ferrying around 172's and GA8's when others will do it for nothing for the hours. You need unique skills for these kinds of gigs.

birddog254
17th Jul 2011, 02:03
Thanks Aussie Bob and xxx, Guess ill look elsewhere untill im further up the food chain.
Cheers

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2011, 03:10
You will also need to have completed some ferries before you can get insurance!:ok:

osmosis
17th Jul 2011, 03:15
I used to work with a guy who did this and he used to say repeatedly, "Flying the aircraft, no matter what aircraft, is the easiest bit by far." The real challenge is to learn to know what administrative, diplomatic, consular and other steps were needed for the specific countries you were in or flew over. But times change and there are now agents in place to assist in these procedures, I believe.

Having said that, on one occasion the guy above ferried a single seater from the US and was away a little longer than expected; when he returned I soon found out why. After shutdown there was smoke literally pouring out of the exhaust and inside the cabin on the floor were two OTHER turbochargers which had failed during the crossing. If I remember correctly, the second one failed over the Bismarck Sea and he had an interesting time on the shores of PNG. This fellow was very experienced and from what I understand had to use all his skills at that time to save his bacon. It's during these times that new aircraft owners appreciate an experieced pilot.

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2011, 03:22
The real challenge is to learn to know what administrative, diplomatic, consular and other steps were needed for the specific countries you were in or flew over.
Is that code for knowing who needs to be bribed at each port...;)

osmosis
17th Jul 2011, 03:27
Sadly, but realisitically, yes. I hope things are easier nowdays.