PDA

View Full Version : Beating a dead horse

OEI-Dave
15th Jul 2011, 20:31
I'm sure many of you have been asked this planty of times, but I feel like I need to post this question. Also, before you tell me use the search function. I've gone through almost every thread related to getting my CPL, as far as prospects and pay are concerned. None of which is current :=. Which leads me to my question. What are the prospects/pay for FAA CPL holder?

I'm going to be finished with my A&P schooling this May and I'm at a junction. If I don't pursue this now I feel as if I'm going to pass on something I've wanted to do since I was very young. I have found a few schools on the airport where I currently work and it would be too easy to get my training within rock throwing distance of where I work.

I have access to the funds it would take to get my CPL and CFI which, from talking with the schools around the state comes to about 90,000USD.

The only doubt I'm having is that after I'm done blowing a decent sized house worth of money, will I make it back? Or will it go to waste? I have been looking for some pilots around the airport to speak with about my prospects but I haven't had enough time to sit down and actually talk about it. So I appeal to the PPRUNE'rs : suggestions, experiences, ect? Also, will having my A&P with helicopter powerplant experience help with getting a job? Anything contrusctive is appreciated. :hmm:

paco
15th Jul 2011, 20:41
"will having my A&P with helicopter powerplant experience help with getting a job?"

It depends on the company, but yes, it will.

You have to think years ahead in this business, so you may as well follow your dream. It is my opinion that in about 3-4 years' time there will be plenty more opportunities.

phil

MyTarget
15th Jul 2011, 22:01
Good point by Paco, look at the emerging markets and the offshore industry growing and growing in SA, East/West Africa. Boom time is coming, but be careful, some companies in these area's operate under a euro AOC so FAA won't count but on the other hand some will except you with a ICAO. You'll just end up doing a Airlaw exam or not and bob's your uncle a local ticket.

But as ever its getting your foot in the door and its the classic case of who you know! Or in some cases who doesn't know you. :E

OEI-Dave
17th Jul 2011, 02:01
Thanks for the help. I might be starting in about two weeks time at a company that pays for a chuck of my flight school so we'll see. It's definitely something I want to pursue though. Just hard forking over the condo's worth of cash. :ouch:

OEI-Dave
18th Jul 2011, 16:23
My next question is:

Do I start school and get my PPL, then build some hours a PPL before going to commercial. Or, do it all at once?

Can that even be done, or can I not build hours for my CPL as a PPL holder?

OEI-Dave
19th Jul 2011, 13:35
So many views and yet so little replies? :confused:

paco
19th Jul 2011, 15:11
Always get the PPL first, then if some free flying comes up you can take adavntage of it. If you go straight for the commercial, you have nothing to show for it until the end. Also, get your class 1 medical, just in case.

Phil

OEI-Dave
19th Jul 2011, 16:42
Thanks for the advise paco!

I've had a few meetings with schools around my area. I've flown the R22 a bit and liked it but there is a school within line of sight from me that operates the 300C. So I booked myself a flight to see if I like it more. (it's also about 40 an hr more expensive than the 22)

Canadian Rotorhead
19th Jul 2011, 16:54
Subject: Dead Horse Theory

If you don't understand this theory, you haven't lived long enough......

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

However, in government, education, and in corporate America, more advanced strategies are often employed, such as:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

4. Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride dead horses.

5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.

6. Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.

7. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.

8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.

9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse's performance.

10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.

11. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.

12. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.

And of course....

13. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position

OEI-Dave
19th Jul 2011, 17:04
Comments retracted for over reaction :(

Canadian Rotorhead
19th Jul 2011, 17:13
With a sense of humour like yours might I suggest a much different career path? I am sure a few of us old hands found it funny. Relax a bit and you might survive in the job search, one of the hardest ones to break into.

Good luck

Gordy
19th Jul 2011, 17:17
With a sense of humour like yours might I suggest a much different career path? I am sure a few of us old hands found it funny. Relax a bit and you might survive in the job search, one of the hardest ones to break into.

Agree 100%......

OEI-Dave.....seriously, you need to relax a little.

OEI-Dave
19th Jul 2011, 17:28
My apologies. Bad day. That, and it's rather hard to get inflection through a computer screen.

Comments retracted.

Canadian Rotorhead
19th Jul 2011, 17:37
As I said before, best of luck in the pursuit. I spent a long time doing ground jobs before I attained my first hour of revenue time. 24 years after my first flight, I sometimes wish I was back at the start again, lots of fun along the way.

Many of my early jobs involved operational support of spraying and heli-logging. Helping out during the winter maintenance not only gives you more respect for the folks supporting you but also gives you some practical knowledge that many pilots lack.

Financially it is a big burden, especially with the future of the North American economy. Finding a way to receive outside funding would be a huge step, no doubt.

OEI-Dave
19th Jul 2011, 17:56
Thank you.

I plan on working and doing a few hours a few hours a week until I'm there. I'm not quite ready to throw all my eggs in one basket. But it's something I'm moving forward on. Again, sorry for the post. Just stressed etc.

Thomas coupling
19th Jul 2011, 18:23
Canadian: nice initial post:ok:

OEI - This post of yours has been done to death on pprune, can't remember where and can't be bothered to look for it as I'm off to Turkey for a break in 3 hours:D
Yours is a long arduous route, it's been trod by thousands before you and will be by those following - no doubt. It'll cost you everything you've got, both in time and money, especially if you do it piece meal as you propose to do it. At the end - you will join the queue like everyone else and eek out an adequate income ranging from survivable to comfortable dependent on who you end up with and what you actually do commercially.

make no bones about this venture OEI - you will struggle to survive.

Now the good bit - it means that you will be doing something very few people get to do (frequently) and you might even get paid for it too! Every day will be different because every day airbourne requires totally different awareness of the environment. You will be breaking those surly bonds that tie you to earth:eek: It's unique.

There is only ONE thing that will keep you afloat - financially and emotionally: PASSION. The rest is clutter................

If it's not in your blood, if there is any element of doubt...walk away and get a proper job sunshine :ok:

Paul Cantrell
8th Aug 2011, 23:05
I've had a few meetings with schools around my area. I've flown the R22 a bit and liked it but there is a school within line of sight from me that operates the 300C. So I booked myself a flight to see if I like it more. (it's also about 40 an hr more expensive than the 22)

40 an hour difference probably isn't significant - a good instructor can save you that by getting your license sooner. Check with the existing students to see what they think of the school. Get a feeling for how professional the training is, and how experienced the instructors are. Go with the school with the better staff, rather than blindly getting the cheapest rate. Ask around a bit about the schools reputation before you make a final choice.

And never, ever, give any school more money than you are willing to lose if they suddenly go out of business. At least here in the States, it happens all the time :*

HowlingMad Murdock
9th Aug 2011, 23:25
Canadian Rotorhead....dead horse theory.....too funny!:D

OEI-Dave
10th Aug 2011, 00:26
Thanks for the replies. It's been a while since I was last on. I've almost got my funding figured out so I'll start shortly. I flew the 300C and loved it. Funding is proving to be a little trickier than expected but like I said. Almost sorted that. :)

rotorwing
10th Aug 2011, 09:34
Can"t say it any better than TC. Head down , buckle up , get ready for the hard ride.....and enjoy it all the way man.
Every mans experience is a different one in this game so grab it and go with it and all the best!!

Cheers
Rotor

rotorwing
10th Aug 2011, 09:39
Oh I forgot......don't take the Canadians too seriously.
:)

CYHeli
10th Aug 2011, 09:56
You asked a simple question early on, "Will I earn my money back?" OR similar.
In short, probably not!
There are few guarantees in this life and one is if you don't have a go you will not succeed. You will spend a lot of time and money on this adventure, but don't do it for the money, do it for the adventure.

Sad, but true. There are plenty of ways to make heaps of money in this world and none of them include being a pilot. Job satisfaction is not always linked to pay.

Good luck.
Another thought on aircraft type to learn on; it doesn't matter. What does matter is how well you fly the aircraft and the ability to apply what you know and therefore learn a new type when the time comes.