View Full Version : Lottery Winners go Public - Crazy

Exascot
15th Jul 2011, 12:11
Couple From Falkirk Area Revealed as £161m Euromillions Jackpot Winners | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Couple-From-Falkirk-Area-Revealed-as-161m-Euromillions-Jackpot-Winners/Article/201107316030895?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16030895_Couple_From_Falkirk_Area_Revealed_as_%3F161m_Euromillions_Jackpot_Winners)

How F:mad:ing stupid. Have they any idea of what will happen :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Probably all just to get their stupid faces on TV. They could buy their own TV station to do this now.

What the Fug
15th Jul 2011, 12:16
Better they do this, as the press were never going to give up till they went public.

This way they can try and control the press and keep them digging up their past

sitigeltfel
15th Jul 2011, 12:21
You could probably buy all of Falkirk for that money.

But who would want to? :E

vulcanised
15th Jul 2011, 12:50
I think that's an obscene amount.

You could have had half a dozen still very happy winners for that money.

angels
15th Jul 2011, 12:58
There was a chap on the Beeb the other day who won about six million quid a few years back. He said he got loads of begging letters. He ignored them all, but kept them.

Two years later he was contacted by The Guardian who were doing a piece on lottery winners. He gave them the begging letters and they researched them.

Most were from chancers, some from genuine people with various problems but two were from people the Guardian estimated to be worth 10 million quid or more!

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jul 2011, 12:59
It does seem pretty foolhardy, but perhaps they realised that the chances of keeping it quiet due to kids/brothers/sisters/neighbours was slim and decided, as already mentioned, to do a controlled reveal and ride the crazy wave from there. At 7.20pm the night of the draw, I realised that i hadn't bought a ticket and then thought 'ollocks "can't be bothered". Next morning, on the radio..."And the winner of the Euromillions jackpot is from the UK....." :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Oh well, all the best to them, "It's life Jim, but not as we know it"

SHJ

Ancient Observer
15th Jul 2011, 13:29
If I won that sort of money, I think the neighbours might notice when I started driving around in an Aston Martin, with another one for SWMBO.

Blacksheep
15th Jul 2011, 13:42
If I won that kind of money the neighbours would be more likely to notice my sudden disappearance.

Hydromet
15th Jul 2011, 14:00
If I won that kind of money the neighbours would be more likely to notice my sudden disappearance.... as would my wife.;)

Tankertrashnav
15th Jul 2011, 14:39
What a heart warming story. In fact I would like to write to the happy couple and congratulate them.

Anyone know their address?

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jul 2011, 14:42
Anyone know their address?

Falkirkingham Palace by now :}

SHJ

purplehelmet
15th Jul 2011, 15:13
i agree that its an obscene amount of money for one ticket to win,
there must be a fairer and better way to divi out massive jackpots like this.
however, the pair who have one it seem to be a nice genuine couple,i wish them well and hope they enjoy spending it.

Evanelpus
15th Jul 2011, 15:30
Quote:
If I won that kind of money the neighbours would be more likely to notice my sudden disappearance.

... as would my wife.

Your wife would miss Blacksheep? Something you want to tell us about??

con-pilot
15th Jul 2011, 16:40
When, yes when*, I win a rather large lottery, my first call will be to our family attorney to set up a Trust that the funds will go into. So when anyone inquires as to just who won the millions an millions of dollars, it will be the ABC Trust. With me as the sole trustee of course, well myself and Mrs. C-P as the only trustees.

With all the nonsense about taxes going on in Washington, our joint salary will be $249,999.99 a year, but the trust is going to own a lot of stuff that we want and like. Oh, a pay for upkeep of all the stuff as well. The $249,999.99 a year will be pocket money.

See, I got this all figured out. :E

* I've always been a rather pro-active optimist. :p

galaxy flyer
15th Jul 2011, 16:53
ABC Trust standing for....

Anyone But Con-pilot!

GF

ShyTorque
15th Jul 2011, 17:08
You could have had half a dozen still very happy winners for that money.

Yes, me included.

Mind you, musn't grumble. Bought a ticket once and it didn't win. I was very disappointed so I've not bothered to buy one since. :)

Krystal n chips
15th Jul 2011, 17:12
Dear Winners,

I am writing to congratulate you on the wheel of fortune that has turned in your favour in Falkirk.

My name is Alex, you may possibly have seen me on the television at times, and I have grand plans to become President for life of Scotland.

Clearly, this will require some capital investment ( on behalf of others you understand, not myself ) to enable me to ascend to my designated role in life and indeed the world.

As it happens, I will be in your area in the very near future and would like to drop in for a wee chat and to discuss in more detail, what I am sure you will consider to be a very worthy, and indeed generous donation to a very special case..myself.

Yours,

A.S.

cavortingcheetah
15th Jul 2011, 17:19
A small word of caution to the unwary. The winners looked a trifle rickety. If they shell out a load of moolah to their children, as they seem to wish to do, and don't live for seven years from the end of the tax year in which the gift was made, there might be a 40% IHT whack on the gift. Even with £163m or whatever, 40% is a kicker. It's a brilliant idea, to set the offspring up in Ferraris for life but who wants to pay tax in order to help Mrs Nick Clegg and her Spanish company get another contract to build windfarms in the UK?
ACCIONA - official page (http://www.acciona.com/)

G-CPTN
15th Jul 2011, 17:58
Which is precisely why I plan to give any substantial winning ticket direct to my daughter. :cool:
I'm sure she would 'see me right'. :ok:

tony draper
15th Jul 2011, 18:02
I would have demanded it in cash.:E

G-CPTN
15th Jul 2011, 18:18
Apparently, the size of the pile of £50 notes required would be higher than the Empire State Building (I think that was what they said) - and who deals in £50 notes?

Just checked, and the claim is a slight exaggeration - almost as high as the ESB - although including the paper bands around the bundles of fifties and it might reach the roof of the tower.

Wouldn't it blow away or fall over?

con-pilot
15th Jul 2011, 18:22
and who deals in £50 notes?

Give me a million of them and I'll let you know how it turns out. :p

tony draper
15th Jul 2011, 18:24
This website will give you a idea of what sized money box you need to buy :)

What Does One TRILLION Dollars Look Like [pics] (http://www.methodshop.com/picts/trillion/)

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jul 2011, 18:35
I would have demanded it in cash.

Thems dangerous words Mr D, that amount of cash would probably collapse the retail banking system in the UK :=. So much funny money (computer generated) around, the amount of hard cash is very small.

SHJ

tony draper
15th Jul 2011, 18:47
Been saying that for years Mr Jack,money int real now it's just a lot of zeros and ones on puter hard disks.
I likes cash,notes in me wallet and coins junglin in me pocket they can stick those plastic cards where the sun dont shine for me.
I know for a fact that 17,000 quid fits neatly into a tupperware sarnie box,:E
Before anybody gets any ideas,its all gone now and anyway they would have had to negotiate with Mr 1911 .45 Colt Auto over it.
:rolleyes:

Fareastdriver
15th Jul 2011, 18:56
The winners looked a trifle rickety

Wothout wishing to be rude but with the amount of weight they are carrying the Exchequer may well get a windfall.

ShyTorque
15th Jul 2011, 18:57
A small word of caution to the unwary. The winners looked a trifle rickety. If they shell out a load of moolah to their children, as they seem to wish to do, and don't live for seven years from the end of the tax year in which the gift was made, there might be a 40% IHT whack on the gift. Even with £163m or whatever, 40% is a kicker. It's a brilliant idea, to set the offspring up in Ferraris for life but who wants to pay tax in order to help Mrs Nick Clegg and her Spanish company get another contract to build windfarms in the UK?

I'll bear that in mind before buying another ticket (my second ever).

Seems hardly worth it, now you've said that... :bored:

mustpost
15th Jul 2011, 19:21
Buggah! (I, and a number of colleauges) have worked with Colin....
But good luck to the pair of them...

Richard Taylor
15th Jul 2011, 19:40
They come from Largs, but the outing was in Falkirk. I'm sure there's a reason for choosing Falkirk...I'm just struggling to think of one right now...:confused:

That reminds me, I must contact my long-lost relatives in Largs..................

galaxy flyer
15th Jul 2011, 23:21
They could buy the Falkirk Wheel as a back garden toy.

GF

Basil
15th Jul 2011, 23:38
Yes, Largs, where we used to live. I believe SiL knows them slightly.
Clearly never lacked the wherewithal to buy pies :)

My advice would be to move to Australia where, I understand, there is no IHT.
Oh yes, and hire a personal trainer.
Also pay for the best possible financial and investment advice. Avoid managed funds. Ignore ALL begging letters.
Don't forget that trainer.

Regrettably, a year from now, they may be rather less happy. Their lives will certainly change a bit.

YorkshireTyke
16th Jul 2011, 00:32
I would have demanded it in cash.

Preferably One Pound coins.

Their lives will certainly change a bit.

I can cope, problems like that I excel on. Could be fun.

Avitor
16th Jul 2011, 01:14
Their mail tomorrow will be delivered in a 40 ton Juggernaut.

G-CPTN
16th Jul 2011, 01:24
Interview on the Beeb with a guy who won £13 million ten years ago.

Asked what impulse buys he had made he confessed to buying a Ferrari 'because he could' though he lost £90,000 when he sold it . . .

corsair
16th Jul 2011, 02:37
I daydreamed about winning that particular Lotto. It would indeed be difficult to keep it secret. But I would certainly not get myself involved with a stupid Champagne popping publicity moment. F the press, let them work for their story. They would soon find out all my intimate secrets, if I had any. Well there is one even if it's rather dull.

No my main problem would be keeping the relatives onside. I think a million each upfront would do the job. That would be amount to fourteen million. Big Irish families:ugh:

After that I would keep the head down, pretty much as the previous big Irish Eurolotto did. She stays well under the radar in her mansion somewhere. It's the only way to do it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the winners. If they make a mess of this they have plenty of money to sort it out.

Interestingly I note the second place winners, only won €24 million each. I could live on that. :ok:

VFD
16th Jul 2011, 03:48
I daydreamed about winning that particular Lotto. It would indeed be difficult to keep it secret. But I would certainly not get myself involved with a stupid Champagne popping publicity moment. F the press, let them work for their story. They would soon find out all my intimate secrets, if I had any. Well there is one even if it's rather dull.

Not exactly the lottery but a long time ago I dated a woman whose father died and left many millions and the company that made the money to her, the only child.
Within hours of the anouncement of the death in the paper, lawsuits started coming in claiming to be offspring of the father wanting their cut of the pie. Practically a hundred I recall. Of course nuisance lawsuits and none would pass a DNA test but most were wanting to just settle out of court for $100,000.00 or so and took years to get the court proceeding behind her.
Quiet seems to be the best idea.

VFD

sitigeltfel
16th Jul 2011, 08:28
Their mail tomorrow will be delivered in a 40 ton Juggernaut.

Come on, are you seriously suggesting Royal Mail would be that efficient.

mustpost
16th Jul 2011, 09:05
Digesting the news this morning, I would venture to suggest that Colin (and Chris) will be quite level-headed about the whole thing (unless he's changed in the last 12 years). However they both had their health when I knew him, so I wonder how that affects their planning....

sitigeltfel
16th Jul 2011, 09:27
Yes, Largs, where we used to live. I believe SiL knows them slightly.
Clearly never lacked the wherewithal to buy pies :)

Neighbours described their only hobby as ‘takeaways’ with their favourite being the town’s Fish and Chicken Bar.

One worker there said: ‘They come in here three times a week. They always have fish and chips and either a bottle of Coke or Irn Bru’
Who would have guessed it? ;)

ShyTorque
16th Jul 2011, 09:40
He said he wouldn't be changing his car because he already had a reliable one...Bless!

They could both do with the services of a good dietician, though. But who am I to talk? :(

Today they will probably be surprised just how many long lost friends they have - who "just happened to see them on the telly last night" .... and many will want the fiver that they were owed.

Good luck to them though (as if they need it now) :ok:

Exascot
16th Jul 2011, 09:52
One worker there said: ‘They come in here three times a week. They always have fish and chips and either a bottle of Coke or Irn Bru’

They can afford it 14 times a week now :ok:

No disrespect, and wish them all the best, but I think a top Health Farm should be their first holiday destination. As previously mentioned if they are not careful the great British government will reap the rewards if they don't keep ticking along.

corsair
16th Jul 2011, 09:53
He said he wouldn't be changing his car because he already had a reliable one...Bless!Reality hasn't sunk in yet. I remember a lottery winner stating she wouldn't be giving up her cleaning job. That would only be true if she bought the cleaning company.

Now I would change my car, it's ten years old. But I won't be sniffing around the Ferrari dealer. On the other hand the local Jaguar or Aston Martin dealer might eventually receive a little visit.

It's nice to dream, but as VFD pointed out there are some not so nice realities to face when you get rich quick. Most people cope quite well I imagine, money is quite a cushion to protect you from all downsides.

Avitor
16th Jul 2011, 10:23
I have two ex-wives who would be bitterly disappointed had they the neck to go to my will reading. :}

con-pilot
16th Jul 2011, 18:32
ABC Trust standing for....

Anyone But Con-pilot!

Au contraire my still flying friend.

I have a clever and cunning plan; I'm going to use my real name. :p

G-CPTN
17th Jul 2011, 01:31
Local chipshop owner reckons the couple patronise the shop three or four times every week.
A female member of staff at local chip shop Ginos Fryer said: "They come in here quite regularly.
It's fair to say they like their grub and chips in particular. We're all happy for them."

They're hoping that they won't change their habit . . .

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 05:41
They're hoping that they won't change their habit . . .

Don't you mean 'halibut' sir :)

Worrals in the wilds
17th Jul 2011, 05:50
Reality hasn't sunk in yet. I remember a lottery winner stating she wouldn't be giving up her cleaning job. That would only be true if she bought the cleaning company.I always wonder what happens when workplace syndicates win big. In my workplace about three quarters of the staff go in for the big draws, if they happened to win it and no-one showed up for work afterwards the place would immediately grind to a halt :eek:.

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 06:06
I always wonder what happens when workplace syndicates win big. In my workplace about three quarters of the staff go in for the big draws, if they happened to win it and no-one showed up for work afterwards the place would immediately grind to a halt

Slightly off thread Worrals but if you own the company and they are skilled personnel it is a concern. It may not even be a lottery win that causes this phenomena. A very good friend owns an IT company. He employs 6 highly skilled programmers. One weekend four of them decided to go for a race on two quad bikes. All four ended up very seriously injured in hospital. One person was on leave which left him with one member of staff on the Monday. He lost a huge government contract and had to pay the four sick leave for six weeks. He has now changed to having no permanent staff they are all highly paid agency people. The other gripe he had which he now doesn't have to worry about it maternity/paternity leave. Worth considering folks if you own a similar business. We don't employ anyone full time but that is mainly due to fluctuations in the travel industry oh, and the Greek economy :eek:

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 06:31
Lottery winners flee to Spain as the begging letters pour in | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015539/Lottery-winners-flee-Spain-begging-letters-pour-in.html)

I rest my original case :ok:

Mr Optimistic
17th Jul 2011, 06:38
EuroMillions jackpot winner Colin Weir has already identified football as his top priority for spending his £161m fortune - but instead of splashing out to buy local club Partick Thistle, he's going to invest in a luxury box at Barcelona.

I was so much more deserving - wish I had bought a ticket now. Still, maybe it's saved some disability benefits.

Hydromet
17th Jul 2011, 06:39
"Goodness me, Colin, what are we going to do about the begging letters?"
"Keep sending 'em, Chris."

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 06:48
Still, maybe it's saved some disability benefits.

Wrong, they are not means tested. They will still be eligible. I am still amazed that the government don't do this.

Mr Optimistic
17th Jul 2011, 07:00
'Wrong, they are not means tested. They will still be eligible.'

Good G*d.

Wingswinger
17th Jul 2011, 08:40
Like Con-Pilot I too have it all worked out. WINGSWINGER TRUST is already set up and the business acquisitions planned - in my mind. I see they bought a set of five "lucky dips". So did I. Such is life.

I sincerely hope they have the good sense to take their time making decisions and shun all the "advisors" who must already be pestering them daily hoping to cut themselves a slice of the Weirs' good fortune.

22 Degree Halo
17th Jul 2011, 08:48
From the Mail link. Didn't realise Edinburgh had moved :rolleyes:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/15/article-2013655-0D07103800000578-822_634x493.jpg

sled dog
17th Jul 2011, 09:09
What do you expect from the Wail......:ugh:
Perhaps EDN has twinned with Perth ?

B Fraser
17th Jul 2011, 09:12
They come from Largs, but the outing was in Falkirk. I'm sure there's a reason for choosing Falkirk...I'm just struggling to think of one right now...

Me too and I'm an original "Bairn O' Falkirk". I guess it struck two fingers up to Dunfermline.

Why as a motorist, would you never hit a cyclist in Falkirk ? It could be your bike.

......... good luck to the pair of them.

hellsbrink
17th Jul 2011, 09:29
What do you expect from the Wail......
Perhaps EDN has twinned with Perth ?

Your geography skill is as bad as the HateMail's, Stirling would be closer

Looks like Glasgow has been moved to a peat bog north east of Kilmarnock. A vast improvement on the scenery and smell then...........

B Fraser
17th Jul 2011, 09:33
Stirling ? Where's Alloa Akhbar when he's needed most ?

(probably still in his pit with last night's conquest)

sitigeltfel
17th Jul 2011, 09:35
Had it been me, I would use some of my new found fortune to set up a website publicising the details of all those who sent me begging letters.
After all, it would be my civic responsibility to highlight the desperate state some of those poor people must be in. It is only fair to bring them wider publicity in the hope that there are fortunate others out there who could also help them in their hour of need. It would be categorised so that you could click on your area to find out which of your neighbours are deserving of charity, and forward your donations.

:E

Krystal n chips
17th Jul 2011, 10:35
" he's going to invest in a luxury box at Barcelona."

Sadly, unless there is a rather rapid review of the "four times a week fish n chips" diet habit, there is a very good chance to judge from the ahem, body mass, this will prove to the case.

By the same token, anybody daft enough to pay money to a football club should invest in seeking medical help anyway...and they can afford the best there is now can't they.....

However, their salvation is at hand in my new career as "Personal Trainer" and thus, leading by example here of course, when they acquire a Discus CS / LS7 / Ka6E..:ok: and Swallow for my use in the UK in Summer, thence to Aus / NZ and the USA for the rest of the year (plus support expenses of course) they will have something to aim for as there may well be "c.of.g" issues for them at present.....this plan is purely speculative at this stage you understand......:E

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 10:41
One presumes that they have retreated to Spain as I believe you can obtain British style fish and chips there. ;)

IB4138
17th Jul 2011, 10:44
Well, exascot, they ain't that good down here and I see your cooking yours in Grease. :p

Exascot
17th Jul 2011, 11:17
IB4, actually I do miss the occasional British fish and chips. However, the fish over here is excellent, but expensive. And, we do not cook in grease :p it is in the finest virgin olive oil in the world from olives picked right by our house :ok: My wife helps I can't due to a bad back just once a year every olive picking season :hmm:

Just had a thought, if one was escaping from the press and beggars would you announce where you were going. Surely they can't be that silly. I know Spain is a big place but their photographs will be all over the Sunday newspapers. And, let's face it they will not be difficult to spot, stealth is not an option. They may even find their pictures on the fish and chip wrappers. No, I think they are probably in the Seychelles. Please tell me that I am right :rolleyes:

Avitor
17th Jul 2011, 11:33
I do not envy them. Like it or not, they are never going to be able to relax.

lasernigel
17th Jul 2011, 12:25
Your geography skill is as bad as the HateMail's, Stirling would be closer
Looks like Glasgow has been moved to a peat bog north east of Kilmarnock.

Unfortunately yours is no better either. Kilmarnock is SE of Largs and definitely not North of the River Clyde.
The Mail has put Glasgow North of Dumbarton.
Did the whole area as a service engineer for over 16yrs.

Mr Optimistic
17th Jul 2011, 12:30
Wonder if they flew economy.

hellsbrink
17th Jul 2011, 12:32
A typo, Nige, meant Kilmaronock

mustpost
17th Jul 2011, 12:36
I did notice on a another thread that Reddo was off on a mission to AGP. To collect a/c, and then to EGPK..?;)

Noah Zark.
17th Jul 2011, 16:13
Just as a topic-related slight drift, we all have thoughts and dreams of what we would do if we won The Big One. Unfortunately, a lot of us also have some old scores to settle.
Short of putting a contract out on someone (:eek:), would anyone care to state their case, and what measures of retribution would befall the unfortunate recipient?
I have two. A person who caused my family immense physical and traumatic stress, honestly unwarranted (a stalker), and the ex of one of my kids who turned out to be bullying thug.
Both now a long way away in time, and in one case, distance. But the harm they caused my family unit left me with a resolve that if ever I was able to mysteriously wreck their lives, as they did ours, then I would gladly do it, if only to get some closure on the issues
Anyone else?

G-CPTN
17th Jul 2011, 16:50
To collect a/c, and then to EGPK..?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifThe way to go, but don't you have to have a share (or stake) in an aircraft before they will take you? (though I imagine Camelot would have . . .)

Mind you, funds would be no problem, and if you turned up (or phoned) I imagine the answer would be "Where to?"

Standard Noise
17th Jul 2011, 16:56
I prefer to deal with things head on at the time, so no one would warrant a visit on my behalf. However, the w4nkbag scumhooer who attacked Mrs Noise from behind early one morning would be tracked down and given some advice. She suffered no lasting physical effects but some mental effects linger, minor ones mind, but they still affect her 17 years on.

As for the lucky couple, I hope it makes them happy or if they were already happy, that it doesn't make them miserable. The papers are forever coming up with stories about lotto winners who become miserable as a result.

I like to think I'd know what to do if it were me, but until it happens (yes, I'm an optimist too), I won't know. What I do know is this, the first car showroom I'd be off to would be in a little town called Caterham (oops, did that give it away?). I wouldn't mind an upgrade from the current 7.

Exascot
18th Jul 2011, 09:31
.....thoughts and dreams of what we would do if we won

I am sure that this question has arisen in most of the pubs in Europe this weekend. We were discussing this with a friend yesterday. I said that I would buy a private game concession in Botswana and a Turbine Islander to get me around. Our friend who has no great ambitions in life said that first he would buy a beer. When pushed further he said that he would buy the island bus service and run a far more efficient timetable, free for the local people. An absolute typical response from a really nice guy. :ok:

Mechta
18th Jul 2011, 09:52
Exascot's friend has a good point. If you had more money than you would need to meet all your own desires, then what would you want to do with the rest? There's got to be something better than just giving it to a charity for the greedy to siphon off.

If you could have full control of, say £100M for altruistic purposes, what would you do?

Parapunter
18th Jul 2011, 10:03
There is another problem in balancing the desire to protect and nurture your children against the proposition that if you cake them in cash, they'll have no incentive to go off & make their own way in the world.

It's a bit of a generalisation, but there's no shortage of rich people with wasters for children. It's a difficult one to resolve is that.

Fareastdriver
18th Jul 2011, 10:04
Leave yourself enough money to live in reasonable luxury for the rest of your life, then start an airline with similar staff T&Cs as fifty years ago. It wouldn't last long but it would make a lot of people happy while it did.

Evanelpus
18th Jul 2011, 11:49
Euromillions winners flee to Spain as the begging letters pour in | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015539/Lottery-winners-flee-Spain-begging-letters-pour-in.html)

Why run off to hide in Spain?

There's more Brits in Spain this time of year than in the whole of the Largs area.

I would have suggested a few weeks all inclusive in Ulan Bator!

Fareastdriver
18th Jul 2011, 12:13
It takes too long to get a visa.

hellsbrink
18th Jul 2011, 16:15
Why run off to hide in Spain?

There's more Brits in Spain this time of year than in the whole of the Largs area.

Who says they're "hiding"?

radeng
18th Jul 2011, 17:44
It did strike me that with that much cash, I could pay for a lot of steam locomotive preservation and restoration. And help the Warwickshire Railway pay for the embankment slippage.