PDA

View Full Version : Links Air (UK)

s_insania
14th Jul 2011, 17:09
Looks like their operating a scheduled service in Italy under the name of LevrieroFly, interesting choice. Flights are between Salerno and Palermo with a few rotations to Split in Croatia. Links Air started operating for them today according to their flight schedule
Levriero FLY (http://www.volatrapani.it/index.html)

I know they've currently got an aircraft operating for Blue Islands in the Channel Islands and they've been working for Manx2 for a while, so they must have expanded the fleet to start this operation. Wish them well with it

harriewillem
15th Jul 2011, 11:40
On the airports of destinations, no mention of the flights. And no arrival or departure is known... So they didn't start today..

davidjohnson6
24th Feb 2014, 21:27
As mentioned in the Doncaster thread, Links Air are starting routes from Doncaster to Belfast and the Isle of Man in their own name in April. Unlike operations so far they will be scheduled as Links Air rather than charters operating for another company.

In the last 12 months:
Minoan at Oxford - all routes closed
Brighton City at Shoreham - all flying suspended
Airline-that-must-not-be-named at Cambridge - 2 routes closed and remaining 2 routes heavily reduced

Anyone have knowledge of Links Air and whether they can make their attempt work ?

BHD2BFS
24th Feb 2014, 21:37
Think they do a lot of charter work for citywing

sealink
25th Feb 2014, 09:36
I was through BHD on Sunday and a boarding announcement for Citywing said the flight was operated by Links air.

davidjohnson6
25th Feb 2014, 09:42
I know Links Air operate flights as charter carrier for Citywing.
The point is they are now setting up a scheduled operation in their own name at Doncaster.

In the last 12 months 3 small companies have set up regional bases at airports in the UK - at Oxford, Cambridge and Brighton. All 3 have been absolute disasters commercially. In late 2012, OLT Express opened a couple of regional routes at Southend - also a big commercial flop.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Links Air can make scheduled flights within the British Isles using a base at Doncaster work ? I'm particularly interested to hear from those with good first hand commercial knowledge of Doncaster, Links Air or flying 19 seaters. I'm not looking for comments based purely on Links Air's wikipedia page !

TRY2FLY
25th Feb 2014, 10:39
They flew the Oxford Edinburgh route for the scam that was Varsity Express a few years ago. Think they were out of pocket on that deal

davidjohnson6
6th Mar 2014, 15:21
I note that the Links Air website still doesn't accept credit/debit cards for payment - this was meant to go live on Monday 24 February. When I phoned their office last week, the person who answered explained they were working on fixing the payment card issue. At the moment, all bookings are filed under the "save for payment later" option, with 2 weeks to pay.

If flights are due to start in 31 days and the airline is unable to take revenue from website bookings, I'm beginning to lose confidence here .... anyone else know anything about this ?

G-FORZ
6th Mar 2014, 16:24
Previous route operation by BE suggests there is a market for Belfast, but I'm not convinced there is such demand for IOM (all the Doncaster tax exciles have their own planes to get there :O ) if it's routes in that direction then I'm sure Glasgow would get better loads from DSA a destination that many Doncaster business travellers currently journey to EMA or LBA to make.

pug
6th Mar 2014, 16:33
Isn't the problem for UK mainland from Doncaster the connectivity on offer from Doncaster train station? I'd also be inclined to question how many Doncaster business travellers exist, surely this operation are attempting to gear themselves towards the Sheffield passenger.

G-FORZ
6th Mar 2014, 16:36
Yes but only for the East, still 4.5hrs to GLA at best by rail.

G-FORZ
6th Mar 2014, 16:46
You may be very surprised at the number of business commuters living around Doncaster (because of the rail link) using the train daily to the City, but also taking weekly journeys north of the Border. For Edinburgh that's fine but For Glasgow it's either a night out or a flight from EMA or LBA to get a job done in a day. It's more than frustrating for it to take over an hour to get to and from either with current traffic volumes on the M1 & M62

pug
6th Mar 2014, 17:07
In real terms the number of air passengers in the Doncaster area is very small. Sheffield is another matter, but things are complicated due to increased accessibility to other forms of transport and better connected airports.

cumbrianboy
6th Mar 2014, 17:32
sheffield is where it's at for sure, and of course when the new link road (which is now really actually being built with real diggers and everything opens) then Sheffield city centre will be less than 25/30 mins away …

TimmyW
6th Mar 2014, 22:08
A quick scout of other forums and the general internet seems that people have tried to book with Linksair and are not able to do so because of this issue with them not being able to take payments. It's very easy for a company to set up an card payment facility, unless they are not credit worthy.

Afraid to say I can see this being a complete non starter. What kind of company launches a website with a schedule of flights no one can book? I'd be very surprised if the flights operate at all.

johnnychips
6th Mar 2014, 22:41
Must agree with you Timmy (that makes a change)!

The Flybe route was very hit-and-miss with some people reporting full flights and others saying there were only six people on board. Perhaps it was too optimistic as attempting as a business route, and with due respect, Belfast is not a premier leisure destination. Still it's all on the yields etc.

pug
6th Mar 2014, 22:49
I should imagine yields will be poor if they can't figure out how to charge their customers.. ;)

circseam
6th Mar 2014, 23:53
"Afraid to say I can see this being a complete non starter. What kind of company launches a website with a schedule of flights no one can book? I'd be very surprised if the flights operate at all".

For a company that has been operating since 2009 it seems to of done ok up to now.

Good luck to all involved, onward and upward.

TimmyW
9th Mar 2014, 19:03
A bit more scouring Twitter, forums etc, seems they are advising to customers to call back in a few weeks to book. Chances of these services ever starting are pretty much zero.

Reminds me of the other airline who tried to begin similiar services to Amsterdam. Same thing happened with them.

Owlery
11th Mar 2014, 13:44
I'm booked (and confirmed) on a flight from Doncaster to IOM next month, so I hope it's all going ahead!
Rather a convenient airport for me, much more handy than Manchester (which I currently use every week), and I would have thought quite a few from the South Yorkshire /Humberside area will find it a useful route.

davidjohnson6
26th Mar 2014, 17:04
Website is now *finally* able to take payment over the web for bookings from credit cards.
16 days to go from 26 March til the first scheduled flight under Links Air's own commercial responsibility...

davidjohnson6
8th Apr 2014, 10:40
3 days to go to first scheduled flight (DSA-BHD) on 11 April with a 19-seat aircraft
First scheduled flight has 9 seats available at entry level fare, while return leg on same day has 8 seats available at entry level fare. Airline website cannot handle bookings for more than 9 passengers.
Granted there may be a last minute business-oriented rush for seats and there is always the possibility of overbooking, but I am somewhat concerned as to the long term commercial viability here...

Phileas Fogg
8th Apr 2014, 10:52
I am somewhat concerned as to the long term commercial viability here

Why be concerned for gawds sake?

Of all the no hopers I've known of in aviation over the years not a single one of them has concerned me. They might have been the subject of some light hearted banter over a pint or few but, surely, mature folk have more important matters to concern themselves with!

TimmyW
8th Apr 2014, 15:52
I think it would be a massive concern for DSA if these flights were to fail because they cannot fill a 19 seat plane. It would prove that business routes are not viable from the airport.

I'd say the poor bookings are partly down to the website problems and complete lack of marketing.

SWBKCB
8th Apr 2014, 16:32
It would prove that business routes are not viable from the airport.

As it seems pantomime season has come early, the response is "Oh no it wouldn't!"

It would prove that that operator on that route isn't viable - end of.

stab3.5up
9th Apr 2014, 09:28
Give them a chance they have not even started yet!!

ACW342
9th Apr 2014, 12:09
My disabled Brother-in-law who walks poorly with a walking stick is considering using Linksair in mid july to visit me, via DSA-BHD, in mid July. Having read the last two pages in this thread and cross referring it in my head to other airlines/non airlines (merely ticket sellers) and various other things worthy of consideration, I have to ask myself, and the (mostly) honourable and knowledgeable members of PPrune, is this actually an airline, with an AOC? is it likely, given past history, that it will still be operating this route in mid July and is this a suitable aircraft for people with my Brother-in-law's mobility problems?

fa2fi
9th Apr 2014, 12:32
Links Air have been operating for years and they even fly for that 'none airline' based on a certain island in the Irish Sea. I would trust Links Air, they are experienced and recently advertised for crews on here a few months back so they must see some future in this venture.

2Planks
9th Apr 2014, 18:20
ACW342 - their website displays their AOC on the front page and there is detailed advice on the level of mobility a passenger requires (and why) and what to do with a wheelchair in the FAQs

Owlery
14th Apr 2014, 13:38
I travelled with Links Air today, Doncaster-IOM. Nothing to complain about, all went well.
The third passenger on this route (ever!) was wheelchair-bound and seemed to have no trouble.

fa2fi
14th Apr 2014, 15:06
Glad it went well. How was the load factor?

cumbrianboy
14th Apr 2014, 15:28
FFS Timmy the route is 2 days old, I seem to remember when easyJet started they only had a handful on the first flights, someone really should have told them to give it up as well, I mean look what a disaster that turned out to be.

Jeez ...

Cazza_fly
14th Apr 2014, 17:28
This afternoons flight to and from Belfast has been cancelled due to no bookings on either leg.
Oh dear oh dear... Poorly informed yet again i presume ?

That is not the reason whatsoever. Please bare in mind when posting such things on this website that there are people on here that actually know the facts / figures and the truth. If the "source" of the negativity that you often post on this thread is really from an airport employee, perhaps it's time they go and find a new career elsewhere as they either really dont have a clue on how to correctly interpret information they may have access to or they really do have a grudge against their employer.

stab3.5up
14th Apr 2014, 17:57
I agree that is not the reason of the cancellations. I work at BHd nd confirm that passengers were booked on both sectors

egcntristar
14th Apr 2014, 17:59
Timmy, stop being such a ballbuster - the reason is stated on the Airports Facebook page. Once again it proves you wrong.

Rather than lie why not just keep your nose out?

PPRuNe Pop
14th Apr 2014, 18:44
Guys. Facts and nothing else please. When ANYONE makes a comment that provokes worries in the minds of the workers - YOU - can cause serious problems.

Facts only.

PPP

El Bunto
14th Apr 2014, 20:35
Well the pilot was quite chipper and cheerful on the radio during this morning's flights. So that's a good thing!

What was the reason for the evening cancellation? Disregard - found it on another thread.

Facebook blocked here - I wish airports would use their own websites for such info.

2Planks
14th Apr 2014, 21:58
El Bunto - hear hear!! I refuse to give personal details to the devils website - if there is anyone in a management position at DSA (and lots of other websites) please realise there are an awful lot of early middle aged people that refuse to use Facebook - and guess what - a lot of us have a lot of disposable income. By letting the 'youth' run your IT dept and concentrating on FB means you are missing out.

SWBKCB
15th Apr 2014, 05:51
And not just people choosing not to use FB - my corporate IT department blocks access to all Social Media sites, and we're not the only ones.

El Bunto
15th Apr 2014, 08:38
LNQ200 / 201 on schedule in and out of Belfast this morning. Glad things are back on track.

Owlery
15th Apr 2014, 12:36
I think there were 10 passengers yesterday. Quite a few press photos being taken.
Interesting experience at the airport. I've never been in a deserted airport before!

El Bunto
15th Apr 2014, 15:14
I've never been in a deserted airport before!

Not even Belfast International on a Wednesday afternoon?

badoom-tish

etc

learjet50
15th Apr 2014, 16:33
With due respects I will give the route 3 months MAx

How many time have we seen domestic flights on a j31

Just does not work

If. Doncaster Belfast was worth it the likes of FlyBe would be doing it or even Eastern

Sorry to be negative but might we re call flights ex Oxford

Best of luck to all but it's not going to a Work

adfly
15th Apr 2014, 17:19
Blue Islands seem to manage fine with a J31/2, as do Citywing for the most part(who actually use Links Air J31's). Links Air are not a start up in the same way that Varisity Express were however they need to market the route well, as that has been what has been a big factor in killing a number of recent attempts at domestic routes from regional airports (Darwin and Minoan spring to mind).

2Planks
15th Apr 2014, 20:44
learjet50 - Well perhaps the well reported issues that Fly Be are having means they are not interested in expanding, meanwhile they are happy to mop up the extra profit from LBA to Belfast following the cancellation of the Jet2 service to International. With Flybe currently running 4 sectors a day to City from LBA, Linksair don't have to poach many to fill a wetdream.

As for IOM I don't move in the circles of high finance but as its not served by LBA it may well be a winner. Could quite fancy a weekend break there myself; at £129 return its not much more than a rail return from Yarkshire to London.

Owlery
16th Apr 2014, 12:28
Links Air will soon be carrying numerous passengers to the IOM TT, after which there should be a smattering of holidaymakers along with regular business passengers.
I'm not sure whether or not it will prove a success long term, but it should be fine for the next few months. I hope so, as I'll be a regular during July and August.
Eastern used to fly Jetstreams to the IOM from Birmingham, Newcastle (and I think Edinburgh). As you don't need many passengers to fill a J31 I imagine that the Doncaster routes could be made to work. The key is good marketing.

stab3.5up
16th Apr 2014, 13:14
Very nice piece in todays Belfast Telegraph about the route. They do seem focused on marketing which is good.

Phileas Fogg
16th Apr 2014, 13:17
It seems that the youngsters that frequent such threads as this have little knowledge of how things were back in the late 20th century, when the UK skies were dominated by turbo prop operations of 50 seaters and smaller.

These days it seems the youngsters only recognise so called LoCo operations of brightly coloured jets and FlyBe.

Of course none of these LoCo's could make anything happen out of DSA because their business model is totally inappropriate, Manx (then BA) regional made a living out of Jetstream operations, Eastern seem to be doing OK out of it, and perhaps it's the perfect sized aircraft for such a commuter route out of DSA and it's an ideal route tester/builder to hopefully upgrade to larger equipment if the market justifies it.

Jetstream operations might also work out of NQY, they need something down there to accommodate their limited catchment area.

rob39
16th Apr 2014, 13:22
New Sheffield route adds string to Belfast City Airport's bow - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/new-sheffield-route-adds-string-to-belfast-city-airports-bow-30188698.html)

TCAS_Alert
17th Apr 2014, 08:59
Well I've bitten the bullet and booked myself DSA-BHD with them in June for the kicks. Just hope they are still operating the route by then.

El Bunto
6th May 2014, 06:49
This morning's service to / from Belfast has been canceled but they have been operating reliably for the past three weeks so hopefully it's just a quirk.

TimmyW
6th May 2014, 08:18
Aircraft problem i've been told.
I wonder what the loads have been like sold far.

davidjohnson6
6th May 2014, 08:27
Timmy - all will be revealed in about 10 days time

El Bunto
6th May 2014, 17:06
Nifty move - G-LNKS positioned in to Belfast around 11:00 to operate delayed LNQ201 out to Doncaster, without having an inbound leg.

LNKS and JIBO were up and about today but no GAVA. Perhaps that's the sick one.

TimmyW
8th May 2014, 13:48
The morning flight for today to and from Belfast was removed from sale yesterday afternoon and the flight didn't operate.
Wonder what is going on, but it doesn't fill you with confidence.

EI-BUD
8th May 2014, 13:57
Given the comment by davidj6 suggesting all will be revealed in 10 days, one could speculate. Changes a foot. Perhaps a take over by a certain IOM based operator to secure aircraft and expand the brand beyond the IOM as had been indicated with the change in brand name? Otherwise I can't see what could be revealed.

Expressflight
8th May 2014, 14:07
CAA provisional stats for April perhaps.

EI-BUD
8th May 2014, 14:08
Ah I see ExpressFlight, why didn't I think of that!

SWBKCB
8th May 2014, 16:03
Airline cancels flight shock, could have been for a whole host of reasons - can always rely on TimmyW to spread a little sunshine! :rolleyes:

johnnychips
14th May 2014, 22:54
Booked flight at end of May to Belfast from Donny. Having paid, it wouldn't print tickets or receipts. The link said something like, 'oh, this is embarrassing!' However, when I checked my email, I was able to print both at once. There are bound to be glitches, and I'm looking forward to my flight. Glass half full!

(As a minor annoyance, the website seems to deal in American dates and times like 5/27/14 at 5:05 PM, but on the actual eticket it reverts to what we are used to).

davidjohnson6
15th May 2014, 16:40
The published schedule on Links Air's website indicates April saw 28 round trips to Belfast and 7 to the Isle of Man.
http://www.linksair.co.uk/timetables
In calculating summary stats, I assume all flights operated.
Belfast - 28 round trips, 420 pax, so 7.5 passengers per flight
Isle of Man - 7 round trips, 94 pax, so 6.7 passengers per flight

I'm assuming that all flights operated with a 19 seat Jetstream 31

Thus for load factors:
Belfast - 39.5 %
Isle of Man - 35.3 %

These numbers are better than I had expected. Granted they will need to improve on both load factor and also (based solely on my experience of regularly checking fares quoted on the website in April) the yield, but for the first two weeks of operating, it's rather stronger than some other small airlines new to regional flying in the UK we've seen in the last few years.

stab3.5up
15th May 2014, 17:23
Tbh. Rather impressive so well done and good luck to them

EI-BUD
17th May 2014, 10:20
Question; the load factor calculated for BHD/DSA, does this take account of the flights that were cancelled? I recall many examples during the first weeks.

Best of luck to the airline, I do sense they will need to grow the operation in order to keep the unit costs relative.

rob39
17th May 2014, 14:13
(The published schedule on Links Air's website indicates April saw 28 round trips to Belfast and 7 to the Isle of Man. In calculating summary stats, I assume all flights operated.
Belfast - 28 round trips, 420 pax, so 7.5 passengers per flight
Isle of Man - 7 round trips, 94 pax, so 6.7 passengers per flight

I'm assuming that all flights operated with a 19 seat Jetstream 31

Thus for load factors:
Belfast - 39.5 %
Isle of Man - 35.3 %

These numbers are better than I had expected. Granted they will need to improve on both load factor and also (based solely on my experience of regularly checking fares quoted on the website in April) the yield, but for the first two weeks of operating, it's rather stronger than some other small airlines new to regional flying in the UK we've seen in the last few years. )

could you post link to the website????

El Bunto
17th May 2014, 14:37
I logged 53 Doncaster to / from Belfast revenue sectors for April, the exceptions being:

11th April Inaugural day, LNQ206 / 207 not rostered
14th April LNQ206 / 207 were canceled
24th April LNQ206 didn't operate in but was positioned as LNQ100T

Gives a mean of 7.93 pax per flight

rob39
17th May 2014, 17:19
Anyone know what the break even figure is for the j32

stab3.5up
17th May 2014, 17:46
Surely cant be many

El Bunto
17th May 2014, 19:57
Back in the mid-1980s Air Commuter said thus:

Average passenger load per sector with the Jetstream 31 was about 9.3, with break-even on the Jetstream operation 8.6. He says that an average load of 10.5 passengers will bring the airline into overall profitability...

1983 | 1530 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1983/1983%20-%201530.html)

Assuming that costs have scaled linearly then it's not going to be fewer than that.

EI-BUD
17th May 2014, 20:04
Anyone know what the break even figure is for the j32

Rob39, interesting question, though while it might meet the text book definition of breaking even, the operation is small and therefore unit costs are high to support the management, admin and costs associated with running the airline.

They seems to have gotten off to a good start, lets hope it grows, new start ups are as rare as hens teeth these days. I would be interested to know what is the main source of bookings, i.e. travel agents or the website, it certainly is a challenge for new companies/ firms to get their name out there and shift the behaviours of the customer.

I travelled on the first arrival into the newly opened DSA for passenger flights, I'd like to see it grow and prosper like to many others!

LGS6753
18th May 2014, 19:22
There are no "breakeven figures for a J32".

There will undoubtedly be a breakeven figure for a specific LinksAir J32 operating between airport A and airport B on a specific day/time, given standard weather, but breakeven depends on so many factors, it's only of interest if you've got the full facts.

Which we haven't.

TimmyW
17th Jun 2014, 11:39
LINKSAIR: Statistics for 2nd month of operation :
Belfast City – May, 87 flights, 718 pax. Ave per flight 8, Load factor 43.4%
Isle of Man – May, 30 flights, 244 pax. Ave per flight 8, Load factor 42.8% (http://www.fodsa.co.uk/resources/FODSA+020web.jpg)

Hearing on the grape vine, Links are set to announce a 2nd aircraft at DSA

TCAS_Alert
17th Jun 2014, 12:39
Was on the LNQ200 DSA-BHD this morning. Approx 9-10 on board. Was a very good service through the airport - it was clear they are going all out to impress. Only downside was the lack of any refreshment on board (website mentions a bottle of water but there was nothing). Really hope they can make a go of it, it's a lovely airport to transit through.

stab3.5up
17th Jun 2014, 18:04
Any clue what second aircraft is for

PlymouthPixie
17th Jun 2014, 22:41
Links Air already own 4 Jetstream 31's but one of them (G-CONY) seems very elusive.

GINFO says they've owned a Swearigen Metro since April 2014 too...

onyxcrowle
18th Jun 2014, 01:38
Could it be a new route ?

TimmyW
18th Jun 2014, 09:11
A few of the morning flights to Belfast haven't operated this week.

TCAS_Alert
18th Jun 2014, 11:07
A few of the morning flights to Belfast haven't operated this week.

Mondays went, as did yesterdays (I was on it), believe this morning's didn't operate if that's what you mean by 'a few'....

TimmyW
18th Jun 2014, 17:12
According to posts elsewhere, this mornings plus tomorrows and friday mornings flights aren't oeprating, and after mlooking at the Links website, this seems to be the case.

2Planks
18th Jun 2014, 22:20
At 2316 18 Jun the morning flight on Fri 20 is showing as sold out and the return flight has seats available at the higher prices. So unless the thing is sitting idle at BHD overnight it seems to be operating.

TimmyW
19th Jun 2014, 09:47
This mornings Belfast flight did not operate.
There's also confusion as to whether the Monday flights operate as advertised on their booking engine, given there is a 5 min turn aroundf between the IOM arrival and the Belfast departure.

TCAS_Alert
20th Jun 2014, 15:12
The early morning BHD flight only goes Mon-Wed. Operates later in the morning (1050) on Thursday and Friday, and went today (doesn't look like it went yesterday though). So this week it's done MT--F

In terms of turnaround - it was loaded and ready to go within 10 minutes the other morning, very short turnarounds but then with no catering and only a handful of pax, not really much to turn around.

TimmyW
20th Jun 2014, 15:39
More confusion now as the booking engine seems to have been changed again according toe another forym and after looking yes it is correct:-
Both the 2nd Belfast flight and IOM flight on a monday depart at 10:30am

Now they either have a 2nd aircraft coming in on one of the flights is no longer operating.

TCAS_Alert
20th Jun 2014, 15:47
Well G-LNKS was on the ground at DSA the other morning, and was also in IOM at lunchtime when I arrived in from BHD - so looks like they have both aircraft operating at the moment.

irishlad06
20th Jun 2014, 17:34
Both flights are combined. The routing will be DSA-IOM-BHD-DSA on monday

TimmyW
20th Jun 2014, 18:54
Looks like the IOM route isn't performing so trying to cut losses then.
However, the return timings indicate it will have to be two different aircraft, or it doesn't add up.

GAZMO
20th Jun 2014, 19:08
I can understand the theory behind through routes, but if I was an IOM pax flying to BHD to DSA would not be appealing. Probably easier to fly to MAN and catch the train to Sheffield?

TimmyW
20th Jun 2014, 19:30
Looking at the timings, the IOM-DSA is still a separate service but would need a 2nd aircraft.

El Bunto
21st Jun 2014, 06:44
Flights operated this past week Doncaster <-> Belfast all by G-GAVA

Morning
LNQ200 / 201: - Mo Tu - - -
LNQ202 / 203: - - - - - Fr

Afternoon
LNQ204 / 205: - Mo - - -
LNQ206 / 207: Su - Tu We Th Fr

The 204 rotation on Monday was a mid-afternoon service, no tea-time service that day.

TimmyW
21st Jun 2014, 08:23
It would seem they are adjusting their schedule based on demand. If there aren't enough passengers on a particular flight to make it worth while, it doesn't operate. Not great if you are booked on it and they suddenly cancel it.

Still can't get my head around the return IOM on a monday, it would definitely need a 2nd aircraft for the return leg if the timings on their booking engine are correct.

Seems very poorly organised and confusing for potential customers.

NickBarnes
21st Jun 2014, 09:18
If an airline keeps cancelling flights just because they feel their isn't enough passengers, those passengers booked will be angry at having their flight cancelled, word will get round to potential customers and before you know it passengers will drop and the airline will fold.

So as said they need to stop it, or they won't last very long!

TCAS_Alert
21st Jun 2014, 21:56
They are operating a second aircraft on the IOM route - as I mentioned above that's being operated by G-LNKS while G-GAVA does the BHD runs.

TimmyW
22nd Jun 2014, 08:41
Well according to DSA themselves the flight is now combined.

BHD2BFS
22nd Jun 2014, 08:59
Does this mean you are able to book flights to IoM from BHD with links?

TimmyW
22nd Jun 2014, 09:05
No, as looking at the booking system, the return flight is with another aircraft purely from IOM to DSA looking at the timings.

Someone has posted that the booking engine has again been changed again today removing the 2nd daily sunday and monday flights. The changes to the schedule are almost happening daily now. Surely this cannot be good?

El Bunto
23rd Jun 2014, 04:33
On the past few Mondays the Doncaster <-> IoM LNQ220 / 221 lunchtime service was by G-GAVA, which turned-around in Doncaster to do the afternoon Belfast service.

Here are the approximate IoM timings:

2nd arr. 11:25 depart 12:00
9th arr. 11:45 depart 12:15
16th arr. 11:10 depart 12:05

On those days G-LNKS appears to have been operating the CityWing contract between IoM and Glasgow ( LNQ82N / 83N ) and presumably other routes associated with that source.

LNKS also occasionally does a LNQ101T which I haven't deciphered yet...

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 05:14
LNQ101T

T = Training

irishlad06
23rd Jun 2014, 07:41
T for a normal airline means training flight but for this one is a positioning flight.

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 08:00
T for a normal airline means training flight but for this one is a positioning flight.

Do airlines still receive reduced Eurocontrol charges and landing/navigation charges for "T" designated training flights?

i.e. Are Links Air "cheating" by designating their positioning flights as training flights?

mad_jock
23rd Jun 2014, 08:26
it can be both. Ie it gets the OPC done while getting the aircraft somewhere else.

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 08:36
It could be a line check, let's give the same F/O a line check every time we have a positioning flight providing that we have a Training Captain in the LHS ... But it's still cheating :)

I've done it myself in the past, I know the tricks, and very rarely can one genuinely combine a positioning flight with an OPC or whatever.

TimmyW
23rd Jun 2014, 09:12
The 2nd Sunday and Monday Belfast flights have been removed from their system (the sunday one having only just being announced!)

You have to question the daily changes to the schedule at whether this service is going to be lasting much longer. Doesn't give you confidence to book, and those who do book won't have a clue to what time their flight actually departs!

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 09:58
Well reading over the last two pages of this thread I understand that Links Air operate DSA to/from both IOM and BHD but I cannot decipher how many times each day/week or on which days and/or at which times!

TimmyW
23rd Jun 2014, 10:24
They advertise the flights as x2 daily to Belfast (Not saturdays) and 2x weekly to IOM.
However times and flights change on a daily basis, so its impossible to make an informed choice when booking.

For example, I know someone who booked to depart in a few weeks on the Monday afternoon flight. This has now been removed from the booking engine and Links have told him that flight no longer operates.

They need a consistant shcedule in place are it won't work.

El Bunto
23rd Jun 2014, 11:13
LNQ208 operating now for the first time that I've noticed. Appears to be IoM to Belfast with G-GAVA!

So GAVA operated 200 morning to Belfast service, to back to Doncaster as 201, then 204 to IoM* and now on to Belfast as 208. Busy day!

Still showing on the Belfast City arrivals as LNQ204.

Trying to keep track of these guys is a headache. Wagers now being taken on the flight number for outbound service from Belfast...

* shouldn't that have been 220?

Edit: looks like a straight run back to Doncaster from Belfast as LNQ205. No return from the IoM.

stab3.5up
23rd Jun 2014, 12:38
Stop picking on the new kid in school! They a new outfit on a very steep learning curve. They do seem to be getting the bums on seats all said n done Disney seem to be running the scheduled planning dept!!

TimmyW
23rd Jun 2014, 19:33
Tomorrows afternoon flight isn't operating. :sad:

Getting a bit beyond a joke now. There are clearly issues, whatever they may be.

mad_jock
24th Jun 2014, 10:42
Phileas I think my record was

SUM-CWL-CAM-INV as an OPC with training rebates in every airport :D

The ILS single engine go around at SUM was a bit of a sod in 25G40.

Phileas Fogg
24th Jun 2014, 10:48
Phileas I think my record was

SUM-CWL-CAM-INV as an OPC with training rebates in every airport

That's one hell of a record for an OPC ... Scotland to Wales to Bolivia and then back to Scotland again!

mad_jock
24th Jun 2014, 12:41
ops it was meant to be Cambridge CBG.

And it was bit epic the only thing that could have added insult to injury would have been a compass swing in CBG.

Phileas Fogg
24th Jun 2014, 12:54
Well I jump-seated an OPC once (the F/O being OPC'd was a buddy of mine and we had an appointment in the bar to maintain), well we departed NWI, did the single engine and all that stuff, then as we are doing the circuits and bumps back at NWI, Operations (in which I worked), bless them, diverted us to HUY where we ended up arriving back in NWI, as if in disgrace, on the evening Shed360 schedule :)

But the decent in to HUY was fun, Binbrook kept us high until the last minute before we did a "dirty dive" literally from the overhead down in to HUY ... I was on the jumpseat and my feet were literally up on the "dashboard" whilst trying to hold on :)

mad_jock
24th Jun 2014, 12:58
they might not be able to climb very quickly but they sure as hell can descend when you want them to.

Phileas Fogg
24th Jun 2014, 14:16
they might not be able to climb very quickly but they sure as hell can descend when you want them to.

The best fun was skating down the aisle on positioning jets, B737's, A320's, B757's etc., on take off, with a couple of service trays under one's feet upon rotate set off skiing down the aisle whilst panicking to find a way of stopping oneself before "crunching" in to the bar boxes in the rear galley.

Right, enough of a thread drift before I get in to even more trouble with the mods :)

davidjohnson6
15th Jul 2014, 22:45
Belfast - 811 pax
Isle of Man - 235 pax

I've no idea how many flights actually operated on each route - if someone does, I'd be keen to hear from them

As an opinion, these 2 routes both began in mid April. I know they're a young carrier flying a 19-seater on very short journeys, but in the absence of PSO subsidy, I'm wondering whether this level of monthly passengers is enough to sustain the overheads that come with being a scheduled airline and all the commercial responsibility that goes with it compared to the existing Citywing operation. Anyone have thoughts on this aspect ?

Owlery
28th Jul 2014, 13:54
17 passengers on board today's flight from Doncaster to IOM. If I overheard correctly, only 3 on the return however.

TimmyW
28th Jul 2014, 17:17
I read that the loads for June were on average 11 per flight for IOM and 9 for BFS.

I also saw a post saying they were initially losing around £20k per month.

They've spent a lot on local advertising round here. Ads all over buses, full page ads in the local press etc.

Mike-Bracknell
15th Aug 2014, 22:27
BBC News - Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport closed after aircraft landing incident (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28814373)

Any news? Assume a gear collapse?

Savannah Jet
15th Aug 2014, 22:36
GGAVA JS31 port MLG collapsed on landing approx 1830z

all on board believed to be OK

7of9
15th Aug 2014, 23:04
Photos here.

http://finningleygallery.smugmug.com/Airplanes/2014/15th-August-2014/43664082_pqLC6c#!i=3461956173&k=NJBCXvF

Not my photos.

silverknapper
15th Aug 2014, 23:06
This would appear to be the same aircraft which had a mlg collapse in Ronaldsway in March 2012. Since then it has undergone a registration change but only to the wife of its owner.

peterhr
16th Aug 2014, 07:25
was starboard side last time

mad_jock
16th Aug 2014, 08:19
poor old girl :{

mad_jock
16th Aug 2014, 09:22
looks the same as last time, a lowish speed collapse.

I know they did loads of work on her after the last one and everything was new paid for by the insurance money.

And the pilots that flew her said she wasn't flying "bent" afterwards.

Be interesting to see if its the same thing although I would have thought every aircraft in their fleet would have been NDT'd to death after the previous accident.

davidjpowell
16th Aug 2014, 09:52
One passenger on a Friday night flight.... I was hoping to use this service at some point, but now wonder how long it will be around for....

As a passenger not sure how much this event outs me off. Would not be bothered on a big carrier...

mad_jock
16th Aug 2014, 10:13
As a pilot I would use it if I wanted to.

The flight ops and engineering inspectors will be looking up where the sun don't shine with search lights.

This airframe has been in a gear incident before, there will be a fall out from this but unfortunately we will have to wait and see what the root cause could be.

It maybe there was fault with the BAe repair procedure from the last one.

The company repairing it maybe at fault.

Faulty parts

And the list goes on. With a lot of the potential causes that the operating company has little control over.

I am not saying linksair will be the perfect airline without any faults I have never flown for them. But I do have a bit of sympathy as they had only got over the last incident and were moving forward and then this happened.

BARKINGMAD
16th Aug 2014, 11:00
One of the photos shows what appears to be a belated attempt to hide the aft fuselage registration by using tarpaulin or similar?

Whatever happened to the Quick Reaction Alert paintpot and brush kit?

If not immediately available, it should have been flagged up by one of the innumerable audits which manage to handicap those involved in flight ops and engineering..........!:rolleyes:

Speed of Sound
16th Aug 2014, 14:55
Finningley seems to be open again.

Journey Man
16th Aug 2014, 16:59
Any news on their recent incident?

Journey Man
16th Aug 2014, 17:01
Disregard.

Thread here in main section.

NickBarnes
16th Aug 2014, 22:11
July pax figures

Belfast - 975
Isle of Man - 162

Unsure on load factor due to no info on cancellations etc

Affretage
16th Aug 2014, 23:29
Good news is that nobody got hurt. Real question is why are we still flying those museum pieces ? Every aircraft will pack up eventually !!! We're just not used to seeing this happening in the UK. More likely to occur in Western or Central Africa. Perhaps its time to upgrade to Embraer regional jets like Links' competitors, Eastern.

Jetscream 32
17th Aug 2014, 06:26
We used to operate J'31s out of Inverness, they are certainly a solide aircraft but all of them need a lot of love and attention to keep them going now, it is only the likes of CI operators that have a high frequency and utilisation with decent load factors that can make a J31 work.

Running a schedule unless you are guaranteed a 65% LF with a decent yield then forget it as it will eat you out of house and home no matter how much marketing you spend.

Couple of aircraft sat on a ramp at a cheap airport undertaking ACMI and charter with 1 full time crew and a spare F/O working in ops along with a couple of on call drivers that are all current on the books and OPC/LPC and happy days.

The routes and LF seems to be perfect for C208 caravans - oh for the day we catch up with the modern world in allowing SEIFR for public transport schedules on these marginal routes - if only to route prove.!

mad_jock
17th Aug 2014, 06:36
Rumour has it that it was the same failure as last time.

Strange thing is they have been using a different maintence company since the last incident.