PDA

View Full Version : Heavy call sign

Spooky 2
14th Jul 2011, 15:58
Okay guy/gals I know this has been covered before but let me ask again.

In the UK are you supposed to use Heavy only on your initial contact with a controller? Does this include Ground and Clearance as well?

When outside of the UK in other EU airpace do you use the Heavy at any time?

Thanks!

Checkboard
14th Jul 2011, 16:14
Not outside of the USA anywhere I have flown (Oz & Europe)

747dieseldude
14th Jul 2011, 18:17
4.9.2 Indication of heavy wake turbulence category

For aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category the word "Heavy" shall be included immediately after the aircraft call sign in the initial rediotelephony contact between such aircraft and ATS units.

Intruder
14th Jul 2011, 18:22
Canada uses it routinely, too.

parabellum
14th Jul 2011, 22:10
Yes, worldwide, as per ICAO Doc. 4444.

Escape Path
15th Jul 2011, 04:36
Some (most) of them even show it off all the time, i.e.: They use "heavy" all the time after their callsign, not only on initial contact.

sodapop
15th Jul 2011, 06:03
Wouldn't say "most" my friend. We (CX) fly the 747 and I've never used it nor heard any of my colleagues use it except in the US/Canada. By the way, it should be used in the US/Canada as North America is really the only place in aviation where you regularly have a cessna following a "heavy".

Now then, what about the A380 using "super"?

Occy
15th Jul 2011, 06:27
in Aus you have to use it on 1st contact with tower and approach

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jul 2011, 07:13
At some airfields in the UK pilots are required to confirm aircraft type on first contact and to ATC that's far more important than saying "heavy".

Sygyzy
15th Jul 2011, 07:40
Before automation when we use to fly with a flight engineer, one of his many roles was to copy the ATIS (Automated Terminal Information Service-arrival weather, landing runway etc) as we arrived into the UK. It often arrived on the aisle stand on a scruffy piece of paper accompanied by the the comment. "There you are-Pr#t!"

When rounded on for his rudeness the 'Enj' would characteristically give a winning smile and inform us that we needed to 'Please Report Aircraft Type on first contact with the approach.'

Those were the days.......:ok:

RandomPerson8008
15th Jul 2011, 10:30
I suppose you're technically supposed to use it on the inital call to any new ATS facility per ICAO....it's generally dropped when communicating with enroute center control as a matter of practicality however.

divinehover
20th Jul 2011, 10:49
We received a briefing recently the South African ATC would also liked it used on first contact as per ICAO docs.

galaxy flyer
20th Jul 2011, 19:20
In the USAF C-5 community, I was taught, use the suffix "Heavy" with Tower or Approach/ Departure control, as a reminder to apply appropriate wake separation, otherwise, not required.

GF