PDA

View Full Version : Question to the gliding guys - Booker or Lasham

BroomstickPilot
14th Jul 2011, 07:48
Hi Guys,

After a break of 44 years (!), I feel tempted to have another taste of gliding, if only for a holiday course of a few days.

My closest gliding sites would be Booker or Lasham.

Can any of you please advise me regarding the upsides and downsides of these sites? Which would you recommend?

Regards,

BP.

FleetFlyer
14th Jul 2011, 09:24
I've flown from both and I reckon at Booker you get a more customer-centric experience. This is better for power pilots as they aren't used to the manual labour side of gliding. Having said that, Lasham is THE gliding field and is more club oriented so you'll be expected to pitch in and help more while you're there.

Tail-take-off
14th Jul 2011, 10:32
Lasham has winch & aerotow available (Booker only aerotow). Lasham also has the airfield more or lees to themselves where as Booker is really quite busy with other traffic.

I'm sure there are plenty of arguments in favour of Booker but I would suggest Lasham offers more initially.

cats_five
14th Jul 2011, 10:56
Haven't been to Booker, but believe airpsace is a bit more problematic at Booker if you get a good soaring day, and food and bar at Lasham are great. The bar has lots of CAMRA awards. You can also enjoy the stuff going in and out to ATC, the former Dan Air maintenance facility. Have always been impressed with how the flying is run at Lasham, and with the CFI and DCFI there though of course I might find Booker equally impressive.

ProfChrisReed
14th Jul 2011, 16:55
It mght be relevant that Lasham is offering a special conversion course for PPLs, and so has given some thought to the different training needed, and the different approach to the (now) pupil.

My tiny club (Essex/Suffolk borders) has done the same - see previous thread:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/456376-gliding-package-ppls-ridgewell-essex-suffolk-border.html

If Booker takes your fancy for some other reason, give them a call to ask how they approach converting PPLs toglider pilots. Some clubs are switched on about this, others treat you (at first at least) as if you'd never flown before, which is demeaning and rather counter-productive. You already know what the controls do.

BroomstickPilot
14th Jul 2011, 17:21
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the guidance so far.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I did get a BGA 'B' Certificate in 1959 and then did some more gliding over two years in the mid sixties. After that I packed in and went power only.

So I used to be a pundit.

Regards,

BP.

Tail-take-off
15th Jul 2011, 10:30
To echo my thoughts above winch launching will give you the circuit practice you will need to get back to solo more cost effectively!

ProfChrisReed
15th Jul 2011, 20:47
Surrey has just clicked. You do know that Surrey Hills at Kenley (just inside the M25) operates Mon-Fri for gliding (at weekends it's ATC only)? Surrey Hills Gliding Club (http://www.southlondongliding.co.uk/)

Give them a ring and chat to Steve Codd, the professional instructor. He's a good guy and flies power as well, and might be able to sort you out.

tggzzz
17th Jul 2011, 17:42
If you are interested in holiday courses (one or more days), consider Cotswold Gliding Club (http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk/)

Many people come from far and wide and have a good time, but I suspect they would also have a good time at other clubs as well.

glider12000
18th Jul 2011, 09:46
I`ll be flying at Aston Down for the Inter-Unis next month..looking forward to it..