PDA

View Full Version : 25 years working for Emirates in Dubai

Toss Parker
13th Jul 2011, 17:41
Hi there

At the moment I work for a major European Low Cost Carrier and I`m considering joining EK.

Ideally, I want to make this my final move and retire in this company. I have about 30 flying years left and very much would like to know if the EK pilots see it as a career airline. Can you do 25 years in Dubai working for EK?

What is the company culture like for example?

Please only serious replies.

Thanks a million.

MrMachfivepointfive
13th Jul 2011, 18:10
Oh my goodness. You just lit the fuse of a multi-megaton firecracker!
Brace! Brace! Brace!

LHR Rain
13th Jul 2011, 18:29
It is practically impossible to spend 10 years at EK with the terms and conditions they are giving us much less 25 years.
8 days off a month and still flying 80-85 hours on the Airbus and over 90 hours on the Boeing. A lot of that flying in the middle of the night. You will be tired and not be able to function to the best of your ability.
For the sake of your health and family stability you would be best served staying in a civilized country. Plus the $ is only going to go donw and Duabi will only get more expensive to live.

EKBemused
13th Jul 2011, 22:30
TP,
If you are seeking advice, I am sorry to inform you that here on Pprune you will only get sarcastic remarks from pilots who do not have a clue about the real world.
I am afraid you have to make an informed decision about moving to Dubai on your own.
I sugest you visit Dubai for a vacation and talk to people who live here to arrive at your own informed opinion of the place.
There are a lot of pilots who have been working for Emirates for over twenty years and most are quite happy here. As far as I know all the people you find bitching about Emirates here, continue to work for Emirates for some inexplainable reason.
If you have some company that these unhappy people would find better to work for, you should let them know so they may be relieved of their suffering.
I personally think there is no perfect place or company, and at the moment Emirates is probably the best company to work for in the long term.

nsfw
14th Jul 2011, 01:59
Of course you can work and retire here. But the questions you need to ask really are about your children, If they are at Uni or beyond not a prob but when they hit the teenage years watch out. It is very hard for them to learn about money and work ethics because of how the labour market is here, they never have to work!

If you end up working here, don't invest your money here, place it elsewhere!

R6DXB
14th Jul 2011, 18:28
As far as I know all the people you find bitching about Emirates here, continue to work for Emirates for some inexplainable reason.
Because these are the mighty know all better marons that invested here and now can not leave anymore ! :ugh::ugh:

cerbus
14th Jul 2011, 18:49
EKBemused

Can you be serious? EK is the best company to work for in the long term! You have got to be kidding or probably on your wife's Happy Pills again.
Tell me one pilot who has been here long term that is not completely fatigued.
Just because you come from a crap airline does not make EK a good airline. Look at the big picture. There are no AF, BA LH, AA, or CP pilots at Emirates.
We have not even mentioned Dubai yet. In many circles Dubai is worse than EK but I think they both are bad.

DownIn3Green
14th Jul 2011, 21:42
OK, Tosser Park...(Sorry, couldn't resist that one)...I have never worked for EK, but I have lived and worked in the Kingdom for 7 or so years...

Having visited Dubai and overnighted there over this time period, albiet 14 or so yrs ago, I feel if you have to be somewhere, Dubai would be somewhere around the top of my list...

Then add the newer A/C, payscale, and etc...You could do a lot worse...

Coming from an EU Low Cost situation, this would be 100% different...But you wouldn't be a pilot if you weren't looking for a little adventure...

I say if you have the opportunity, GO FOR IT!!!!!

Where's Mutt when one needs him???

falconeasydriver
14th Jul 2011, 22:36
Just because you come from a crap airline does not make EK a good airline. Look at the big picture. There are no AF, BA LH, AA, or CP pilots at Emirates

Not true, there are quite a few EX Ba guys here...and LH plus CX as well

Craggenmore
14th Jul 2011, 22:42
with AF's new 25 min turnaround policy (which will mean more legacy strikes, (apart from Virgin/BA/Quantas etc....)) I'm sure more will eventually join as the march of aviation progress moves ever eastwards from the post WW2 western dominance.

cerbus
15th Jul 2011, 03:00
There is exactly ONE LH pilot here and the only reason is that he has Yellow Fever. He took a big pay cut to come and told me he could get more Asian flights (and Asian FAs) working for EK.
Most of the BA pilots are DECs and are double dipping with a few who came as FOs giving up the work rules of BA. Same with CX. EK has even lost some pilots to Cathay.
You want to be tired? Come to Emirates.

145qrh
15th Jul 2011, 04:10
If you stay with EK for even 5 years it will feel like a lifetime...

White Knight
15th Jul 2011, 11:29
There are no AF, BA LH, AA, or CP pilots at Emirates.

WRONG................

Oh yeah - stand by for a flood of Ozmates too! Possibly from the QF carrier:p

Machspeed
28th Jul 2011, 20:23
Work Ethics in the U.S. is totally screwed up.. Might belief is kids get their ethics from their parents. So I think it's my job to make sure my children get an influence of our families work ethics. It worked so far for my 19 year old. I just need to continue that to my other younger children.
MS