PDA

View Full Version : Ideas fro the Next 25 Years, Please

J.A.F.O.
12th Jul 2011, 08:07
It's 25 years today since my first solo and I still remember the whole circuit.

The reason for my post is that I know I haven't done as much with the private flying side of my life as I would have liked. I am a big believer in the old adage that the same kind of thinking that caused the problem won't resolve it, so I'm asking for your ideas. At the 50 year point I want to feel that I've done as much as I could.

I won't say any more at this point as I don't want to limit the ideas people come up with and if I knew the answers then I wouldn't be asking the question. Assume that I'll give anything a go but don't have unlimited funds.

Thanks in advance.

J.A.F.O.

Mr Cessna
12th Jul 2011, 08:23
Give aerobatics a go if you have not already before. After flying aeros you come down feeling on top of the world and like you can conquer anything (well that's how it made me feel) and age isn't a factor as I know a 72 year old instructor that still spins and loops. Also you could get as many types in your logbook as possible before the time comes that you hang up your boots i.e. 172 TB10 HR200 M20 etc.

and one last thing - [URL="www.highlandaviation.com"] I imagine this will change your feelings about problem - give it a go, if only once :E

Mr Cessna

Genghis the Engineer
12th Jul 2011, 09:29
To offer a meaningful opinion, it would be useful to have an idea of what sort of hours/types/trips you've done already.

G

RTN11
12th Jul 2011, 09:29
Fly abroad. Have you been to the channel islands or France? Or take the time off and go to America and tour around in light aircraft there. It's a completely different world and attitude to light aviation, very refreshing for any Brit. Although you have the cost of getting there, the flying would be so cheap that you could get plenty of hours, even a twin rating for not a lot.

Justiciar
12th Jul 2011, 09:42
A very good question. I think many people have gone into flying with high expectations of doing a variety of different things but the reality has been rather more mundane.

For many people, learning to fly does not amount to a lifestyle change, so flying takes its place along side the other things that go on in your life. I think a key thing is not to have impossible goals, as you will be disappointed. I would love to be one of the select few who has taken their aircraft around the world, but it is not going to happen because of family, career, time and money. I have an other half who does not particularly like flying, so holidays touring are also out. I am fortunate in having done IMCR, night, some aerobatics and have access to a lovely 1940s Chipmunk, which is a joy to fly every time. Staying current and polishing the skills necessary to fly that aircraft well is a continuing challenge in itself as is contributing my time and professional skills to the group that runs it.

Someone commented recently that you should not commit to more than you can afford. Certainly struggling to pay for an hour a month is going to be fairly demotivating and you are better finding a cheap aircraft you can comfortably afford. That will give you the chance to fly more often and not break the bank.

Often it is about seizing opportunities. A couple of years ago I was asked to fly up to Perth to pick up a friend who was delivering an aircraft there. That was somewhere I had never been and probably wouldn't have gone to but for that, but it was a good day and nice to do a flight which had a purpose. On another occasion I flew up to Gamston to pick my daughter up from uni. All memorable days.

J.A.F.O.
12th Jul 2011, 09:52
Genghis - You're dead right.

The simple answer is that I've been really lucky with flying and it really has been a very large part of my life in the intervening years but I didn't want people to think that they shouldn't bother with an answer because I'd already got that t-shirt. If I'd told people my experience then Mr Cessna would not have suggested aeros or Inverness but the truth is it's 19 years since I flew around the Highlands and Islands and 14 years since I was last upside down; so they're actually still good ideas for me because I might not have thought of them myself, having ticked that box I may not have realised that I'd like to go back again.

Because I don't feel that I've put enough into my private flying to have advanced much, I have thought about putting the headsets on eBay and trying something else but it's not really an option, I know I'd keep looking upwards.

I really want any ideas and am open to most suggestions; I hope that makes sense.

Justiciar - You're spot on with the points that you make about expectations, affordability and demotivation. You're also dead right about developing a skillset and grabbing opportunities to make memories.

Justiciar
12th Jul 2011, 10:07
it's 19 years since I flew around the Highlands and Islands and 14 years since I was last upside down

I think the use of the phrase "ticked that box" is quite telling. The danger of that approach is that you will remain unfulfilled. Ticking off an endless series of boxes and passing immediately on to the next does not lead to satisfaction in life. I know some people who are retired on a good pension and are literally ticking off places in the world. But their travels teaches them little or nothing either about the places they visit or more importantly themselves.

Each activity should be an opportunity to learn something. As an example, flying to the highlands will stretch you in terms of planning the journey and in terms of your skills, due to the wx and nature of the territory over which you fly. You will have to really think about the trip. The planning may be an end in itself but what do you do when you arrive. What do you know or learn about the country you have arived in and the people who live there. In that sense the flyign can be a means to an end; it get you to places you would not go if you hade to drive.

If you liked aeros, then why not work on polishing the necessary skill. Not only wil that be a challenge for you to perfect say a loop and to understand what is happening to the aircraft but you will be pleasantly surprised how that feeds back into your basic flying skills.

J.A.F.O.
12th Jul 2011, 10:20
This is getting quite existential quite early on but you are quite correct, my use of language probably does attest to my underlying beliefs which, if followed unchecked, will ultimately leave me feeling unfulfilled and dissatisfied. It's not about arriving at a series of destinations but about relaxing and enjoying the journey.

Blimey.

overandout
12th Jul 2011, 10:22
You could consider improving your handling and navigational skills?

You could aspire to represent your country in flying competitions?

Enter spot landing events?
Regards
overanout

Zulu Alpha
12th Jul 2011, 10:46
Aerobatics. Less expensive than you might think as the typical flight is 30 mins or less.

Pitts S2A/B/C or Extra 200 would be my recommendation as the most enjoyable

what next
12th Jul 2011, 11:13
Hello!

...but about relaxing and enjoying the journey.

Three things come to my mind reading this statement:

(Touring) Motorgliders. (If you are interested in this topic, read all articles of Bob Grimstead in Pilot Magazine about what he can do with his RF-4! Google finds some of them on the internet.)

Instructing. For me personally the most rewarding flying activity. Especially, if you enjoy working with people rather than machines.

Homebuilding. That's gonna be a long journey, thogh... Certainly one of the open items on _my_ list of things to do. Once retired.

Happy landings,
max

Rod1
12th Jul 2011, 11:40
Get involved in the LAA/strip side of flying.

Learn to maintain your own machine (very easy)

Referb your own machine (bit harder)

Build your own (bet harder again)

Flying an aircraft you look after changes the experience for the better and can save you money is that is an issue.

Try different LAA / BMAA types. The variation is much greater than in the C of A world and the variation in performance and handling means you take you’re lying less for granted.

Lastly, strip flying can be quite social which can add to motivation and strip flyins can be great fun particularly if the strip is in the far north of Scotland etc.

Rod1
(27 years into my flying journey of discovery)

Monocock
12th Jul 2011, 14:16
Rod1's points are all very valid and shouldn't be ignored.

When I was 29 I was getting bored of flying and by that point had flown around 800 hours in Cessnas and Pipers to a variety of airfields and done a few of the cross channel adventures that I wanted to do. I suddenly realised one Saturday morning that I was bored.

I chopped in the 172 and bought a Luscombe. After a variety of LAA types I have now found the one that fits my requirements perfectly and in the last 10 years I have never had a dull weekend's flying. The social side of LAA flying is superb and you can discover a whole myriad of different strips and communities to drop in on. The fraternity is remarkably helpful and I know for sure that had I not made the change I probably wouldn't be flying now.

Looking after your own machine adds a further dimension and trust me when I say that you do not need to have prior knowledge of engineering to start down this route.

Go and buy something like a Jodel for £12k (or a share in such type), find a friendly strip to keep it at and make a list of strips and fly-ins that you plan to go to. After a Summer of trips you'll realise why it is so enjoyable.

I didn't go the LAA route for financial reasons (although it is shockingly more cost effective). I went this route as I was beginning to lose reasons to fly and I could see a whole new world of aviation that was being enjoyed by other day/VFR flyers where I was happy to be. Some of my best pals have been met through this type of flying and it is always enjoyable receiving emails leading up to the weekend from people who I might not have seen for a few months suggesting a rendez vous somewhere.

You may have already tried this route and perhaps it wasn't for you. All I would say is think really hard before you do actually stop for good as I am sure you'd regret it over time.

J.A.F.O.
12th Jul 2011, 14:21
Genghis - If it helps, my private flying has mainly been in spam cans with a few wonderful hours in Cubs and a couple of happy forays into LAA types. My flying activity has been, what you might term, sporadic, with spurts of activity and long bouts of enforced wishful thinking.

overandout - Your post has certainly got me thinking.

Mono, I know that I could never give up entirely and the LAA route is almost certainly the preferred option.

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions so far, they are all welcome and very gratefully received.

Mark1234
12th Jul 2011, 14:44
Best thing I've ever done flying - an outback trip (adjust as appropriate). Month with a C172 and a mate (non-pilot), tent, and a decent supply of food/water/beer. Amazing adventure, phenomenal way of putting a lot of stuff into perspective, and something really different. Was terrified of the challenge before I left, was a lot easier in reality, and I really relished the adventure, and doing something that the aeroplane was really suited to.

Second up, fly a pitts.. :ok:

Justiciar
12th Jul 2011, 16:10
This is getting quite existential

Well you have asked what is a profound question :\

Seriously, if you have been tied to spam cans then I can understand your feelings. Flying has far more to offer. It is very easy to say take up aerobatics or "go permit" without knowing your circumstances. Buying into anything aerobatic can be quite expensive both in capital and running costs, but there are things out there such as Tipsy Nippers which are cheap to buy and run and which are also fully aerobatic. Getting a share in something like a Jodel or older cub will be quite cheap (c £3,500 perhaps), cheap to run and reinvigorate your flying if you have the capital in the first place and can find a suitable group.

AdamFrisch
12th Jul 2011, 16:41
Buy an aircraft.

SpreadEagle
12th Jul 2011, 16:49
Is there anything you ever really wanted to fly? A box you never ticked. I don't know what your budget is but if you are looking to mark 25 years maybe splash out on an aircraft you always loved.

Maybe the vampire? (http://www.vampirepreservation.org.uk/ownership.htm)

The spitfire? (http://www.flights4all.com/about_spitfires.asp)

Something ridiculous? (http://www.long-ez.net/)

Something obscene? (http://www.flyfighterjet.com/)

Something perversely ordinary that only you understand (http://www.experiencemad.co.uk/Vintage-Plane-Flights/)

If you want to mark the day, do it properly. If you want to say goodbye and thanks to aviation, do it with a bang. Fly the bird you always coveted. There must be one you never got your hands on, or have to fly one last time.

You may find it was just the kick in the pants you needed to remind you why you took that first solo.

Mike Cross
12th Jul 2011, 17:25
Mmmmm..... 25 years eh?

Perhaps flying without the need for all the paperwork and Eurocrap. Without even an aeroplane perhaps. However that would be rather dependent on the gatekeeper deciding to let me in and not send me downstairs.;)

Genghis the Engineer
12th Jul 2011, 17:34
For me, the most fun I've ever really had with aviation has involved ownership of a really cheap and simple aeroplane (in my case usually a microlight, but LAA aeroplanes can offer the same benefits).

You can buy a nice single seater for £1500+ in the microlight category or 2-seater for £3k+, and run it for around £30/hr all in with care and effort. The rewards - being able to fly 6 hours in the day for the price of an hour with an instructor in a Cessna, no longer having any requirement to be back at any time, learning to really understand that aeroplane as you are the only person to fly and maintain it, for me have always been massive.

Going up to the £15-£20k bracket,there are far more options, but the basic points are the same.

And of-course, if you've already bought it and maintain it, what reason is there not to fly it at probably £15/hr in fuel? So your flying, recency, and enjoyment levels will all go up massively.

This is not to dispute any of the other options suggested - but if it's really about enjoying flying being integral to your life this does it for me.

G

Monocock
12th Jul 2011, 19:38
JAFO

if you are interested (and within a sensible distance away) I'd happily take you for a few hours stripping to see if you like it. I don't offer that very often as my flying is my private and solitary escape mechanism. However, if you're considering stopping, I'd be pleased to show you a different angle if it helps.

J.A.F.O.
12th Jul 2011, 21:26
Mono

I really, really appreciate your very kind offer. We're probably about 3 hours apart (by car) but I will get in touch some time soon.

Really, thank you.

BabyBear
12th Jul 2011, 21:48
As someone who has just very recently bought a share in my first ever (power) aircraft, which I have yet to fly, I would suggest you try gliding.

It's flying, but after that the comparisons stop, as I discovered recently.

BB

Rod1
13th Jul 2011, 08:13
JAFO

If you are closer to me then I would be happy to help along similar lines.

Rod1

J.A.F.O.
13th Jul 2011, 12:51
Rod

Further away but no less grateful, thanks you.