PDA

View Full Version : Avgas allergic reaction...

FullTravelFree
11th Jul 2011, 08:51
Few days ago I spilled some Avgas over me.
In all my wisdom I leaned against the fueldrain of an R44,
soaking my pants. :* (While giving a pax-briefing... hpmf).

Sitting in the middle of a large apron away from base, I decided to fly.
Felt a light burning feeling and afterwards, my skin turned red.
Has been like this for some days, only slowly it goes away.

That made me think, how bad/toxic is this stuff actually?
I know about the lead, should I be worried? :eek:

FTF

catseye
11th Jul 2011, 09:06
Full travel,
you have been chemical burnt not allergic. The fuel works as a defatting agent that has been worked into your skin by clothing.

Get some burns dressing/spray, keep very clean and if it goes pussy or smelly see a doctor/medic asap.

A read of the MSDS for Avgas will provide further background.

Some crew have been burnt whilst removing contaminated clothing when it has lit off.

YOU ARE VERY LUCKY!. :=

sightlesseyes
11th Jul 2011, 14:50
As above, any irritation lasting longer than two days needs medical attention. Also if you experience drowsiness or breathing difficulties get to a doctor.

hands_on123
11th Jul 2011, 14:58
Its not really "toxic" per se, no more than car petrol i would think. If it's dodgy in a few days, see a GP, it's nothing to worry about.

Or maybe stop the passenger briefings, give them a laminated card instead.:)

FullTravelFree
11th Jul 2011, 15:30
Thanks for the replies and advice.
No dizziness or anything else, just an irritated skin,
so I guess it'll be okay.
Another lesson learned, never give a pax-brief! :}
FTF

Flyting
11th Jul 2011, 16:20
:} :} :} Chuck a match on the area before it dries up and it will burn off all the fuel........

no more worries about a nasty rash :E

ShyTorque
11th Jul 2011, 18:21
Best get yourself a turbine rating... ;)

Ready2Fly
11th Jul 2011, 18:40
...plus appropriate helicopter :}

ironchefflay
11th Jul 2011, 19:58
us engineers can spend hours messing about in fuel tanks with fuel going everywhere.

normally apart from the smell you cant get rid of for ages, you go a bit red and itchy but thats about it. its because it strips the moisture/fats from your skin. if you get it on your clothes its best to try to change out of them as soon as you can. but not till you know you are done doing what you are doing!! wash thourghly and use some of your wifes best moisturiser on it!

i usually find having a long soak in the bath is good for the itch and the smell!

toptobottom
11th Jul 2011, 20:20
i usually find having a long soak in the bath is good for the itch and the smell!

That's what I tell my missus, but what about the avgas burn :p

Hughes500
11th Jul 2011, 21:40
toptobottom
Tell the wife you have been out with Max Mosley, me thinks that would take the focus off your red patch:ok:

toptobottom
11th Jul 2011, 22:35
H500
:D If I had a red patch after being out with Max Mosley, I think it'd need more than a hot soak to take the itch away!! :eek:

TorqueOfTheDevil
11th Jul 2011, 22:46
Chuck a match on the area

Liar liar, pants on fire?

ReverseFlight
12th Jul 2011, 00:56
Don't laugh. Whenever I get Avgas on my fingers, my skin starts peeling off, real ugly. I understand that it is easily absorbed by the skin as opposed to it dripping off like water.

Nevertheless, one of my ex-instructors swore by the stuff. He even habitually washed his hands under the aircraft's fuel drains before every flight ! :eek:

EBCAU
12th Jul 2011, 05:29
If you got off with only a "red patch'" you got off lightly. I spilled some on myself many years ago. It ran through my overall, down my ribs and into the top of my trousers. It evaporated very quickly. No problem. I had spilt it on me before with no side effects.
About twenty minutes later, in flight, I felt a burning sensation begin under my belt. I wasn't on fire but it soon began to feel like it. The pain became excruciating.
Luckily I was in a situation where I could land and quickly investigate. The skin on my hip, where the belt had prevented evaporation, was red and then turned black - the same black that you get if you spilled silver nitrate (IIRC) on your skin in chemistry class. It tooks a month or two to recover. I was more careful after that little incident.

FullTravelFree
12th Jul 2011, 15:16
....similar to you, I got the strap of my undies
now tatooed in red on my hip.

Its slowly fading, so I guess I got lucky...

Not lucky with the R44 though, that fueldrain
(left side) is in a stupid spot (and leaks).

FTF

JTobias
12th Jul 2011, 21:22
Guys

I think I'm allergic to Avgas too.
Every time I fill the R44 I've been flying I get tears in my eyes, my blood pressure rises and I feel quite sick. Almost like I've been stung !!! Which of course I have been !!!! :p

Bring back my JetBox..................

Joel:ok:

toptobottom
12th Jul 2011, 21:27
I get tears in my eyes, my blood pressure rises and I feel quite sick

Joel - it's not the Avgas. You get like that when it's your turn to buy a round of drinks :p

JTobias
12th Jul 2011, 23:18
I knew I'd had that feeling before.
By the way, have you had that squeaky step on your staircase fixed yet ?
I hope not coz if I don't here the key turning in the lock the squeaky step is my last line of defence !!!!;)

Joel:p

Gaseous
14th Jul 2011, 04:11
Its got Lead bromide in it - or more accurately, it produces lead bromide when the TEL reacts with ethyl dibromide and sunlight will initiate that. The lead part will remain on your clothes after the volatile fuel has evaporated.

Probably not a good idea to wash your hands in it

From sciencelab.com; -Lead Bromide

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Very hazardous in case of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant). Corrosive to eyes and skin. The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning, sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death.
Potential Chronic Health Effects:
Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Very hazardous in case of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Classified 2B (Possible for human.) by IARC. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance is toxic to blood, kidneys, the nervous system, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure of the eyes to a low level of dust can produce eye irritation. Repeated skin exposure can produce local skin destruction, or dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of dust can produce varying degree of respiratory irritation or lung damage. Repeated exposure to an highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in one or many human organs.

ethyl dibromide is a skin irritant too.

Lead is not good either: From Wiki:

Lead is a toxic metal that accumulates and has subtle and insidious neurotoxic effects especially at low exposure levels, such as low IQ and antisocial behavior.

Hmm. I can think of a few on here its got to!