PDA

View Full Version : More advanced aerobatics books?

The500man
9th Jul 2011, 16:30
I have Alan Cassidy's Better Aerobatics book which I've been dipping in and out of as an aid to learning aeros, but I'm finding that it keeps things fairly simple. Does anyone know of, or can recommend, a book that is aerobatics oriented that is a bit more advanced? I don't mean in terms of manoeuvres but in terms of flight mechanics. I've done a number of searches but haven't found anything that I'm convinced is worth buying. Thanks.

orionsbelt
9th Jul 2011, 19:13
Suggest you try Flight Unlimited by Eric Muller and Flight Unlimited 95 Eric Muller and Annett Carson. isbn 0620 187743
Search on Amazon and Pooleys show it as
BTG934 Flight Unlimited '95 - Annette Carson & Eric Muller

Edit'ed to Add pooleys 10/7

The500man
10th Jul 2011, 12:40
Thanks, looks promising. I just ordered it from Pooleys. Much cheaper than Amazon! :ok:

Edit: Anybody know where I might find "Spins in the Pitts Special" by Gene Beggs? I know it's available from the IAC but the delivery from the US will probably cost more than the book.

joelgarabedian
10th Jul 2011, 17:26
I'd second the Muller / Carson book. I'm also a reasonably inexperienced aerobatics pilot, but once I started reading this I couldn't put it down. A really useful book :ok:

Joel.

FlyingFinancier
10th Jul 2011, 20:04
The Aerobatic Four Minute Freestyle by Xavier de Lapparent (ISBN 2-9508928-2-5) is the best I've come across for advanced, but it is difficult to get hold of...

Zulu Alpha
10th Jul 2011, 21:29
The Aerobatic Four Minute Freestyle by Xavier de Lapparent (ISBN 2-9508928-2-5) is the best I've come across for advanced, but it is difficult to get hold of...

Available here: Aircraft+Equipment-for-sale (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/aircraft+eqpt-for-sale.htm) scroll to the bottom

stiknruda
10th Jul 2011, 21:33
I've probably got all the aeros book ever written - in several languages!

Cassidy's book is as techie as you need to get of you intend to fly the maneouvers. Muller and Williams are great reads.

Goulian/Svory books are informative.

L'Apparents Freestyle book is available from Diana Britten via the sales and wanted section on

Home page for the BAeA website (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk)

Patrick Gigot handwrote a really informative book which was photocopied and was available via the Aeroclube de Caen-Carpiquet. Okay - it's in French however most schools do teach it, so it should not be incomprehensible and the graphics are illuminating.

For me - understanding lift theory, load, drag and 'g' is enough.

Fellow Ppruner Zulu Apha is about to head off behind the Iron Curtain to represent GB at the World Advanced Championships - despite his academic ranking, I doubt he worries about the mechanics of flight, too much!

Just enjoy learning to fly the manouevres perfectly - and all that takes is money!!

Stik

eharding
10th Jul 2011, 22:20
Cassidy's book is as techie as you need to get of you intend to fly the maneouvers.

Concur. If the OP wants a precise aerodynamic analysis of what's going on during a particular figure, suggest he gets over to White Waltham and flies the figure with AC - he'll be able to provide the analysis - in exacting, pithy detail - while it's happening.

The500man
11th Jul 2011, 08:29
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Aerobatic Four Minute Freestyle by Xavier de Lapparent (ISBN 2-9508928-2-5) is the best I've come across for advancedHow detailed does this book get? Remember I'm not looking for an "advanced" level book but a book with more advanced explanations and analysis.

Fellow Ppruner Zulu Apha is about to head off behind the Iron Curtain to represent GB at the World Advanced Championships - despite his academic ranking, I doubt he worries about the mechanics of flight, too much!Good luck to him. I don't mean to suggest it's neccessary to understand the detailed mechanics of flight to fly aeros but it's something I'm interested in knowing more about. What's wrong with that?

If the OP wants a precise aerodynamic analysis of what's going on during a particular figure, suggest he gets over to White Waltham and flies the figure with ACThe thing is my instructor goes into a fair bit of detail but it's impossible to remember it all, which is why it would be nice to find a more comprehensive book that makes it possible to review and fully understand what I've to some extent already been made aware of. I'll ask him next time I see him what he would suggest, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

212man
11th Jul 2011, 10:15
I'm assuming you are aware of Neil Williams' book?
BOOK AEROBATICS (NEIL WILLIAMS) (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Aerobatics-Training-BOOK-AEROBATICS-NEIL-WILLIAMS+9154)

djpil
11th Jul 2011, 11:29
Neil Williams' book used to be my favourite bedtime reading.

I have an MSc in Aerodynamics and I find Alan Cassidy's book technical enough for me. This book is all you need these days.

Flight Unlimited is great too if you can find one.

Zulu Alpha
11th Jul 2011, 15:34
Alan Cassidys book is quite technical about the standard aerobatic figures (loops rolls spins etc etc.). I don't know of one that is more technical, but I suspect Alan didn't put all he knows into the book as that would probably be too much detail for 95% of the readers.

Xaviers book is not really about the standard aerobatic figures. It is more about the gyroscopic figures such as Ruades, Cravats, Flat spins and knife edge spins. These are the sort of figures that are used in display flying. His book is quite technical, explaining how gyroscopics and aerodynamics control a figure.

So, get Alans book for classic aerobatics and Xaviers book for gyroscopic figures. Both have enough detail to get you in and out of trouble but I don't know where you go for more. I suspect its not written down because I can't think of many people who would want more detail. You may need to discuss with experts rather than reading about it.

bluesky300
12th Jul 2011, 00:14
Take a look at flybetter.com if you haven't seen it already.

The500man
13th Jul 2011, 09:50
Ok thanks guys. I received my copy of Flight Unlimited yesterday, which looks like an interesting read. I think I'll leave Xavier's book for the time being since it's not exactly cheap!

Still wondering about "Spins in the Pitts Special" by Gene Beggs. Anybody read it? Worth trying to get?

Take a look at flybetter.com if you haven't seen it already.

Yes I like that site, being online it's ideal for when I'm at work! :ok:

djpil
13th Jul 2011, 11:14
Gene's book is good but you won't find much technical stuff in there either.
Much of the book was derived from his series of magazine articles in Sport Aerobatics.

stiknruda
13th Jul 2011, 12:32
I bought a couple of copies of Gene Beggs book about ten years ago - gave one away and lent the other out never to have it returned.

I tracked Gene down via the IAC - gave him a call and ordered the books - he couldn't take credit cards but was happy with an International Money Order.

He was in his seventies then!

The Beggs/Muller or Muller/Beggs recovery for the Pitts certainly works and does so in some other aeroplanes but is not guaranteed to work in every craft.

It is quite disconcerting to enter a spin, let go of the stick, close the throttle (the latest tweak on the BM recovery is to use both hands to pull the throttle), press the higher rudder pedal then watch the stick mimic the inputs that you would have introduced!!

Never needed to use it for real but know it works in the S1 and S2.

ISTR that the Aussie CAA euivalent (DGAC?) had the POH of Oz Pitts' amended to show this recovery? Has dementia started early for me David P?

Stik