PDA

View Full Version : bmi british midland SEP SOP?

twintowers
30th Jun 2001, 17:03
Myself and Mrs Twintowers flew recently with the artist formerly known as British Midland from LHR-EDI (on a B737) having transferred at LHR from a DXB-LHR flight with BA.

I was carrying a bag with 2 bottles of booze: 1 glass vodka bottle and 1 plastic gin bottle.

The flight was full and I was sitting in the "B" seat (centre one of a three seat unit) at an emergency exit.

I was nearly the last to board, and on attempting to put my hand baggage into an overhead locker (which was incidentally almost full of coats and jackets, so no hard items there), one of the youths who was acting as cabin crew INSISTED that I must keep the bag at my feet...

Thinking that he had not realised that I was at an exit seat, I asked him if he was sure, but he was quite determined that no bottles of any kind were allowed in the overhead locker.

So here's my question: Was this a "jobsworth" over-strict application of the rules or do bmi REALLY encourage broken glass at an exit, on the floor, in the event of, for example, a high speed stop or worse still, landing on the motorway???

[This message has been edited by twintowers (edited 30 June 2001).]

BRUpax
30th Jun 2001, 18:54
I can give you dozens of examples of the inconsistencies of F/As' interpretations of safety regulations - in many cases even working for the same company. Makes you wonder if their training is adequate! The younger and more inexperienced they are the more patronising their attitude. I just smile and apologise explaining that it's my first time in an aeroplane! Then they go on to spoil me :)