PDA

View Full Version : Flying over Horsham

ct8282
9th Jul 2011, 09:23
I'm gonna try the old home fly over this afternoon, and since I live in the middle of Horsham which is inside Gatwick CTR SFC-2500 it's obviously not just a case of popping over the top of my house and then shooting back down to Shoreham.

Has anyone flown over Horsham, or do any of you fly over Horsham regulalry and can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

audioaviator
9th Jul 2011, 09:54
Hi,
You'll have to speak to Gatwick, - I'd say it's unlikely that they'll grant it to you, but you never know.
Have routed Handcross, Mannings heath, Southwater a few times, under F'borough Lars, who kept a close eye making sure I didn't clip the zone.
All I can say is to ask, be as concise and tight as it gets with an entry/exit point and timings, and very accurate hight & headings aproaching the zone.
AA

TurboJ
9th Jul 2011, 09:59
They do clear people into the Class D it just depends on what you are doing. I've seen single engine aircraft doing aerial photography work in the zone etc along with helicopters transiting over LGW.

Sounding confident on the radio will probably help......TJ

ct8282
9th Jul 2011, 10:35
Yeah, I did a transit into Solent CTA recently but not into CTR, and to be honest I don't know if I can be arsed to talk to Gatwick, just to fly over my home (not my idea anyway) so I will just stay clear of the CTR altogether and save my self the aggro of either co*king something up or sounding like a numpty on the radio with Gatwick.

I might however scoot over Southwater which is inside Gatwick CTA (which is 1500 - 2500) so if I stay at 1200 I will be just fine. Would you consider it good airmanship to let Gatwick know that I will be at 1200 just inside the bottom corner of their CTA or will I be fine with a quick Southwater flyover and out again?

audioaviator
9th Jul 2011, 10:46
As long as you're speaking to F'borough Lars (if open) , who'll most certainly give you a squawk, or London inf, they'll no doubt look after you and let LGW know who/what/where you are doing. They will almost certainly keep you at 1200 or below.
Have fun :ok:. Wish I was going fllying today! :*

Fuji Abound
9th Jul 2011, 11:44
What a complete load of rubbish.

Gatwick are excellent giving you a clearance; i have very rarely been refused.

Obviously it is better at less busy times of their daty, but ask for the clearance and the route, be certain of your navigation and you will more than likely get it and will not inconvenience them.

audioaviator
9th Jul 2011, 12:00
"What a complete load of rubbish."
Well that's your opinion Fuji.

mikehallam
9th Jul 2011, 12:47
If flying nr. Horsham you'll undoubtedly be on the south or western side.

I strongly recommend you make yourself aware of the at least 1/2 dozen strips/airfields crowded in there, all of which are by Air Law entitled to folk flying nearby to mind their pattern.
Some routinely use safetyCom, but not all.
Some are well known, but not on the Charts, others less so; their ground level is up to 300 ft. -so giving them 1000 ft crams you into ~200 ft slice.

Info's from Lockyears or AFE or Pooleys or BMAA & several web pages [or PM me, mikehallam at btinternet.com ]

Weeeee
9th Jul 2011, 14:41
Surely if they're not on the chart, no zone, no different treatment to random vfr traffic in open fir. Of course it would be useful to know they were there ...

ct8282
9th Jul 2011, 15:06
All sorted. I tracked up the A24 and turned left just past Southwater keeping south of Christs Hospital which is outside the CTR, and then up to Dunsfold to have a look at the Top Gear buildings. Cool.

Happy flying peeps

2 sheds
9th Jul 2011, 15:24
Surely if they're not on the chart, no zone, no different treatment to random vfr traffic
The presence or not of an ATZ is irrelevant, but...
1/2 dozen strips/airfields crowded in there, all of which are by Air Law entitled to folk flying nearby to mind their pattern
...they might not even qualify under the definition of an aerodrome, and certainly if they are not shown on aeronautical charts, a pilot could hardly be expected to "reasonably know" about the strip in order to comply with Rule 12 (UK).

2 s

paulthornton
9th Jul 2011, 16:59
Have to agree with Fuji - I've never had a problem with Gatwick, and they have always been exceptionally helpful with transits in and out of Redhill; and before Farnborough LARS was operational would often provide RIS outside the zone too. :D:D

Another option if you are flying close to the zone, and underneath the 1500' shelf, is to maintain a listening watch on 126.825 and squawk 0012 - that way they will know that you are there and if they do need to contact you for any reason, they can do so.

Referring to the original question, Horsham is only just inside the CTR so it is certainly worth asking. Its not like you're trying to do orbits in the final approach track :}

Paul.

mikehallam
9th Jul 2011, 17:46
According to my discussions over the subject with the CAA who pointed me at the relevant Air Law para's; any field used for landing/taking off is deemed to be an aerodrome and people flying by or to it etc. should follow the circuit pattern.
[Don't make me look it all up again !]
If not all on the charts then my posting to the guy wishing to fly by Horsham did have some warning of their presence. He didn't ask about the strips off me.

Jackrell's Farm IS ON the charts and next to the Southwater by-pass is Mr. Fords strip, windsock & all which by the above account, whose circuit our intrepid flexwing pilot must have flown through. I've no idea if he called or listened on SafetyCom, I flew today but didn't hear any passing traffic, perhaps he did it earlier ?
Slinfold is so well known there can be few Sussex pilots unaware of its position and number of residents, it's close to Christ's Hospital. So if he flew that way another breach of pattern is possible.
Having been reading of the fatal air to air accident at Shoreham last week-end I feel that the above pilot was willfully endangering others even if he doesn't care about his own skin.

mike hallam.

P.S. ANO, Cap 393,2010: Section 2) & 4) para 12. is part of it. Elsewhwere an aerodrome is defined.

Fuji Abound
9th Jul 2011, 18:02
"What a complete load of rubbish."
Well that's your opinion Fuji.

Not my opinion, just a accurate explanation of the way it works.

Done it many times, got the t shirt, and know what i am talking about.

On the other hand some of the other posters clearly dont.

I am not being unkind to them just telling as it is. :O