PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a North-East Flying School.

northern_monkey
7th Jul 2011, 21:24
Hello All

I'm looking at undertaking a PPL soon and would like some advice on the best place to train. I'm based in the North-East of England with Teesside Airport being the closest airfield to me. Has anybody had any experience with any of the flying schools based here e.g. Durham Tees Flight Training?

Cheers

NM

Flyingmac
8th Jul 2011, 07:00
Dale Reynolds at DTFT is a thoroughly nice guy who's laid back, don't panic approach to instructing will put you instantly at ease.

The aircraft are in nice nick too.

I often see them at grass strips, so you won't get conditioned to Teesside's full ATC and miles of tarmac, and you'll be better prepared for the real world.

LD1Racing
8th Jul 2011, 18:29
I am currently training with St George Flight Training out of Newcastle. They also operate from Durham Tees Valley. I can't speak about the operation from DTV but the guys running the Newcastle end are very professional and pleasant to deal with. I would certainly recommend them.

Their website is St George Flight Training Ltd (http://www.stgeorgeflighttraining.co.uk/index.html)

Farrow
12th Jul 2011, 13:01
I train at DTV with St George Flight Training, and they're all great.

Ok, so it's in a porta-cabin, but the people are great, friendly, really know their stuff. The instructors don't wanna rip you off, and they'll tell you straight if they think you're gunna have a poor experience instead of just taking you up to get the money off you. I haven't heard anything bad about DTFT (and since my main source is their competition that's pretty good I guess).

There is another school there, in the building where the Wings bar is/was - it used to be Cleveland Flying School but that went bust and had their aircraft seized to pay the bills to the aircraft, or so I heard.

northern_monkey
18th Jul 2011, 21:02
Thanks for the advice guys, also looking at Newcastle airport now.

Anyone else had any experience with any of these schools?