PDA

View Full Version : What world do we live in?

wokawoka
7th Jul 2011, 16:08
Unbelievable (Read all the way to the end): If Kate Moss lived near Heathrow would she ask them to delay flights at the crucial moment? :ugh:
Surely she is not that naive to think that servicemen who have spent another few months in the sandpit could do with a further delay away from home so she can get married in silence? :=

The supermodel - who tied the knot with The Kills rocker Jamie Hince at a ceremony held in St Peter's Church in Southrop, South West England, on Friday (01.07.11) - couldn't control her emotions on the big day and was "absolutely ecstatic" to be surrounded by so many loved ones as she tied the knot, her dad Peter has revealed.

He told the Daily Star newspaper: "It was fantastic, very lovely day. The wedding was not as rock 'n' roll as you'd think. It was a very good party, but not a party that went on for three days, exactly.

"Kate was absolutely ecstatic and moved to tears to have all her friends and family around her.

"When you've got two or three hundred friends with you then it's going to be a good day isn't it?"

Guests at the wedding included Naomi Campbell, Sadie Frost and her ex-husband Jude Law, former Clash rocker Mick Jones and Topshop boss Sir Philip Green.

Kate - who had 15 bridesmaids at the ceremony, including her eight-year-old daughter Lily Grace - attempted to make sure her day went without any disturbances by asking for military planes flying from nearby RAF Brize Norton to be diverted or postponed, but the request was "politely" turned down.

A military source told The Sun newspaper: "Kate should consider herself lucky she just got a polite refusal.

"RAF Brize Norton is a fully operational wartime air base.

"Flights from the base carry troops and vital equipment directly to Afghanistan. These flights are absolutely crucial. The idea that the top military brass would put these flights on hold or change their routes just to give a celeb some peace on their wedding day is absolutely inconceivable."

Wander00
7th Jul 2011, 16:19
Treat her request with the contempt she deserves

SOSL
7th Jul 2011, 16:46
Treat this thread with the contempt it deserves!

BEagle
7th Jul 2011, 16:55
However, at Cocaine Kate's request, Plod closed off some local roads without having given the statutory 2 weeks' notice normally required.... The locals termed it 'Mosstok', I hear.

I don't think that there's much circuit flying on Saturdays nowadays; however, all the 'military source' should have told The Sun was "We told her we'd do what we could to avoid causing any disturbance - but with the current operational tempo we couldn't really give any guarantees!" instead of making such a harumphing comment as was quoted.

chopper2004
7th Jul 2011, 17:09
Borrow this from the folks at Cherry Point and plant in her front yard?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/Cherry_Point_Noise_Pardon_1200435905843.jpg

dallas
7th Jul 2011, 21:18
Borrow this from the folks at Cherry Point and plant in her front yard?

Is that a euphemism? :E

AR1
7th Jul 2011, 22:24
.. Hello Kate here.. I cant get to the phone right now, but leave your message after the tone and the News of the world will get back to you shortly.

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 12:03
newt,

Jet noise.................The sound of?

Well, just noise actually. It has precious little to do with anyone's freedom.

Don't the bad guys jets make just the same noise?

charliegolf
8th Jul 2011, 12:09
Don't the bad guys jets make just the same noise?

No, because of Doppler effect. Dimwit.:=

CG

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 12:16
charliegolf,

Strange, they have different laws of physics then?

Noise is just noise.

hoodie
8th Jul 2011, 12:22
For some reason, every time I read pr00ne's stuff the voice in my head sounds like...

http://baps-online.org/alexexpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/600full-on-the-buses-photo.gif

Finningley Boy
8th Jul 2011, 15:53
pr00ne, surely our jets sound like a Brave Lion's roar while the bad peoples' sound like cat with its tail caught in a mouse trap?!:):ok:

FB:)

newt
8th Jul 2011, 17:15
Pr00ne. Those of us from a certain era will know the phrase is taken from a car bumper sticker often seen in Germany in the 70s:ugh:

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 17:23
newt,

I know. I was providing some of the annoying jetnoise from a certain rather large airfield near the Dutch border in a VERY noisy jet at the time.
I thought the phrase nonsense then and still do now.

It was still just noise...

Canadian Break
8th Jul 2011, 17:39
Surely Mr PrOOne, the whole point of the exercise was that whilst jet noise WAS the sound of freedom, you had every right to complain about it! Perhaps to your neighbours further to the east it was the sound of oppression, given their lack of freedom to complain. Or perhaps I have introduced and serious note into what was intended to be a bit of light-hearted banter - if so - sorry!
CB
Sorry, system didn't accept my spelling of Mr Pr00ne and changed it - no offence meant!

sharpend
8th Jul 2011, 17:41
I live in this village, Southrop. Even locals were stopped by police from getting to their house without questioning. I wonder how the busy police force justified this!

Wander00
8th Jul 2011, 17:52
My Village - hope she paid the cost of extra policing, like sports events and village fetes have to nowadays

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 17:56
Mr Canadian Break,

Good point well made about light hearted banter, no need to apologise.

To me it was all just noise. Locals under the approach and around Nordhorn used to complain, especially when flying on TACEVAL at odd hours of the night or over weekends.

The sound of freedom? Nah, not really. Just the sound of Government imposed legalised naughtiness.

foldingwings
8th Jul 2011, 18:06
The sound of freedom? Nah, not really.

pr00ne,

You must have been Single Seat! 'Cos many of them are full of sh!t too!

Foldie:bored:

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 18:12
Foldie,

Nah, there was a whinging bloke in the back. Often he was about as funny, original and witty as you are. Not a nav by any chance?

Still don't see how that noise had anything to do with freedom, mine or anybody elses.

Roadster280
8th Jul 2011, 18:54
By having a sufficiently strong military, the red hordes were deterred from curtailing our freedom. In order to have a strong military (and be seen to have such), it is necessary to mount frequent exercises.

Whether the exercises result in large tracts of German countryside being ploughed over by several thousand armoured vehicles, or the ambience being polluted by noisy jet engines, there is a social price to pay for the privilege of freedom.

Ergo, jet noise can be said to be the sound of freedom. While the bad guys may have had noisy jets, those in Nordrhein-Westfalen would never hear them. Or if they ever did, their freedom was imminently in danger and the deterrent had failed. Fortunately, something that did not happen.

It's not just civvies that have to put up with it. Barrack Block 544 at BZZ was not a fun place to be at 0600 every morning when the first VC10 of the day launched either.

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Jul 2011, 18:56
For goodness sake pr00ne, lighten up and get a life. It's just a bumper sticker phrase. If that offends or upsets you then there's no hope.
I also hope that the skinny model contributed financially to help pay for the delays and frustrations she caused. However, the country's gone mad where "celebs" are concerned, so it's likely the authorities fell over themselves to "help" her and cared little for the inconvenience suffered by the general public.

pr00ne
8th Jul 2011, 19:25
Romeo Oscar Golf,

Quite lightened up thanks and have a rather happy fun life, though would rather be in a bar or somewhere similar now, ah well.
Said bumper sticker neither offends me OR upsets me, I just thought it nonsense then and do now.
Hope that you are right about Moss and financial assistance.

Roadster280,

I used to believe that nonsense for a while too.

We didn't deter any red hordes. 3 days worth of weapons, less than that in spares and consumables, jets out in the open, no hardened shelters, massively outnumbered.

So why didn't they come?

Well, I guess that they were there because we were there, and we were there because they were there, and both us of were there because of an accident of history meant that that was where we stopped the last time.

The whole thing was a nonsense, from both sides.

A noisy nonsense.

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Jul 2011, 19:40
though would rather be in a bar or somewhere similar

Fair enough, I'll raise my glass of Pinot Noir (Kiwi version) and hope you make it soon.:ok:

I still think you are wrong, but what the hell, despite minivals/tacevals etc it was bloody good fun and I was young and fit.

Lonewolf_50
8th Jul 2011, 21:03
We didn't deter any red hordes. 3 days worth of weapons, less than that in spares and consumables, jets out in the open, no hardened shelters, massively outnumbered.

So why didn't they come?

They only had two days worth, all said and done ... :cool:

Tankertrashnav
8th Jul 2011, 21:37
I live in this village, Southrop. Even locals were stopped by police from getting to their house without questioning.

What an amazingly silly thread about an amazingly silly bumper sticker!

What is far more to the point is that sharpend and his neighbours really did have their freedom curtailed (quite probably illegally by the sound of it) at the behest of this vapid "celeb". Is anyone locally taking this up with their MP, or the Chief Constable?

newt
8th Jul 2011, 23:08
pr00ne. I have deleted my post as it offended you so much!

Also read your profile!

What more can I say:D

BEagle
9th Jul 2011, 08:28
Tankertrashnav, yes, it seems that Cocaine Kate had to pay for the extra rozzers....

To think that we cold warriors were supposed to have defended people from this "Zeigen Sie mir Ihre Papiere bitte!" Stasi-style nonsense here in the UK...:oh:

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2011, 09:14
Still don't see how that noise had anything to do with freedom, mine or anybody elses.

Sounds to me like you were in the wrong job. At least the jet noise has stopped whining.

SOSL
9th Jul 2011, 12:05
See post #3 :

Finningley Boy
10th Jul 2011, 08:04
pr00ne,

It strikes me you've had a radical change of heart about the entire concept of standing armed forces, certainly where our crowd are concerned. I specify "our crowd" because not too long ago, on a different thread, about a possible future Russian threat, you were happy to dismiss their rearmament programme as simply exercising the right to upgrade and refurbish?:confused:

FB:)

TorqueOfTheDevil
11th Jul 2011, 19:50
Here at Valley the sound of freedom is the diesel engine belonging to the train to London!

pr00ne
16th Jul 2011, 11:54
Finningley Boy,

Not at all. I have no real issue with the idea of standing armed forces, especially in today's world. The idea that they 'defend freedom' and 'allow me to have free speech' is a bit of a misnomer. Most armed forces in this world spend more time suppressing free speech than preserving it, they are in fact just the violence applying arm of Government, what they do rather depends on the nature of the Government they serve.

However, I digress from your original point. No radical change of heart between when I was in and now, I just didn't believe the line that the Reds were poised to swarm across the border and that it was just me and my RAFG and 2ATAF chums who were stopping them. We had such little provision in the way of weapons, spares and consumables that the fact that we were a 'deterrent' was a nonsense. If they had wanted to come then they would have come and we would not have stopped them short of turning Europe, and ergo the world, into a de- populated radioactive waste land.

They were poised at the border because that is where they stopped in 1945. We were poised on our side of the border because that is where WE stopped in 1945.

That's were we stayed from 1945 up until 1990 when their political system collapsed and the East at last emerged from a cloud of decades of authoritarian dictatorial control.

Not sure what your point about me dismissing the Russian rearmament programme is about? What Russian re armament programme was that?

Corporal Clott
16th Jul 2011, 19:04
Free speech for Marsh Arabs, Kurds, Afghan women and Falkland Islanders don't count then pr00ne, eh?? :ugh:

Women's rights in Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_rights_in_Afghanistan)