PDA

View Full Version : Pilots: More enjoyable- Commuter or Boeing/Airbus?

Aloha 737-200
25th Jun 2001, 07:56
Aloha everyone!!

I've said it enough times I'm sure but I'm planning on a future carrer with Aloha and Island Air.

I'd like to ask those pilots out there which job is more enjoyable, overall- flying a commuter aircraft, or flying a larger jet such as a Boeing or an Airbus?

Personally it looks to me as if flying a commuter aircraft (i.e. 20-70 pax), for a commuter airline might be more enjoyable because of the more personable atmosphere. Seems a bit more laid back and fun. But I could be wrong, though. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Flying a larger aircraft looks great as well, but it also looks like alot more of a hassle, which could disillusion some people.

How do pilots feel?

Input is greatly appreciated!

Aloha Ahiahi E Mahalo Nui!!

Aloha 737-200!! :)

BmPilot21
25th Jun 2001, 11:53
If you have a choice, you should go for an airline jet. Commuter operators are a stepping stone to this. A lot of people will write under here about how turbo-prop is essential experience for a flying career. I don't doubt that they look back on their experience as very valuable, but bouncing around in a turboprop doesn't necessarily make you a better pilot. If you can cope with a jet, and you have the opportunity, go for it! It is a better job, better career move, more stable rostering (generally), higher status, and more secure job. And, flying a 737 is great fun - yes, it's mostly about operating the aircraft through the automatics, but you do still get to fly it.

A lot of people look back on commuter flying with 'rose tinted spectacles', possibly. Nothing at all wrong with it, if market forces dictate you start with them before moving to a jet, but it's not something you should choose. I think SOME people may resent people going straight to jets - I had to do commuter work , so should they etc.

You must make up your own mind whether you want to be an airline pilot or not. If yes, go for the jet. If no, go and do something really fun like flying light twins around the Carribean (or Hawaii), or instructing if that's what you really want to do. It's your choice.

The following is comparing jet airline flying to a VERY small commuter outfit:

Flying a larger a/c is LESS hassle, as everything is done for you - computer flight plans, class A airspace, radar vectored ILS approaches etc. Smaller airlines may be more personable, but not necessarily. An airline the size of Aloha should be OK. Also, larger airlines tend to be more into CRM, with a better working environment (nothing personable about flying with an old chief pilot who is domineering, unpleasant, non-standard etc). Having said all this, it varies enormously with the company, some small outfits are great to work for, some airlines very bad.

.....Retires to a safe distance, donning flack jacket!

[This message has been edited by BmPilot21 (edited 25 June 2001).]

Token Bird
25th Jun 2001, 12:18
Aloha 737-200,

Don't feel pressured into taking a jet job just because most people on this forum think of it as the ultimate career achievement. I find BmPilot21's view that turboprops are just a stepping stone to jets to be a bit snobbish and insulting to those who fly turboprops.

Not everyone is excited by flying jets. It doesn't make you a strange person. If flying smaller aircraft is what you lean towards doing then do it!

TB

PS. No I'm not a turboprop pilot resentful 'cos I can't get a jet job, before anyone makes the suggestion

[This message has been edited by Token Bird (edited 25 June 2001).]

AffirmBrest
25th Jun 2001, 13:19
Count yourself lucky you are in a position to pick and choose your aircraft type!!

..or if you aren't, why even bother worrying about - take the first decent job you get offered.

IMHO - the novelty of flying for a living wears off reasonably quickly (few months?) - and when it does you will start noticing all the buggeration and hassle that goes with ALL airline flying.

When the novelty does wear off, I would want to be in as good a career-enhancing position as I could, in order to quickly improve my salary and conditons by getting new and better-paid jobs to offset the now apparent reality of commercial flying.

Ergo, I would suggest choosing for the long-term ie. get a jet job, get jet hours and the salary to go with it. Otherwise you'll regret it at 45yrs when your jet contemporaries are on $100,000s with AA, Delta, and you have your first jet RHS!

Some may say flying small hands-on aircraft is great for flying skills etc. - at the end of the day you will lose them after 6mths in the RHS of a jet anyway and you can always fly at the w/es.

I don't think BMpilot21 is being snobbish, just practical and speaking from experience in the airlines. That said, as TB pointed out - if flying slow small aeroplanes floats your boat then go for it!!

PS The one thing that makes airline flying personable and fun is the people in the company and not the aeroplane type. Choose your employer more carefully than your aircraft type...

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

skysoarer
25th Jun 2001, 20:57
Personally, I like the idea of dropping water on forest fires in eastern Canada. Found a school that trains for it aswell, hehehe... That said, while talking to the flight deck crew on a string of lufthanser flights recently I asked them if they ever had that feeling of "hmmm, this isn't as exciting as it used to be..." - all said no and loved their job after 35 odd years... It simply depends on the person; personally I think all the agro an airline could throw at me could not cause dispair!

SS

Aloha 737-200
26th Jun 2001, 04:02
Mahalo Nui guys! (That means thanks very much :) )

I have to agree with skysoarer, I don't think I'd get very tired of flying, but then again I haven't been in that postition but my passion for it is very strong.

I think island flying has got to be the best type because of the scenery. And from what I hear Aloha and Hawaiian change your assigned routes alot, so the scenery would change every once in a while, too. :)
Of course some might say yeah but what a hassle. For me I wouldn't mind moving from island to island. You get to see alot more. Hehehe...plus you have the paycheck to do it.

I'd say that I would LOVE to fly a 737. I do in my sim all the time and it's great fun. I've just heard rumors that it's less enjoyable than a commuter job.

Appreciate it!!

Aloha 737-200!! :)

DanAirline
27th Jun 2001, 02:13
Aloha, if you ever do become a pilot (which is my ambition too, i'll make sure i am your flight officer.

I think you will find alot of the comments above very knowledgeable and helpful.

I'd rather start with Commuter Turboprops but thats just my opinion :)

Regards, Dan (EGGD!)

------------------
Regards, Dan

flying is gniylf backwards

9g
27th Jun 2001, 02:47
As has been expressed here on previous threads, I think you should take the first decent job you are offered, whether jets or turboprops. The one thing I will add, however, is once you are on a jet, you'll never go back to a turboprop, and there are things a 'prop can do that (most) jets just can't. I currently fly ATP's, starting a jet course soon, but I'll never forget those visual R33 approaches into Sumburgh... Try them in a jet. Then again, maybe not.

9g

dingducky
27th Jun 2001, 18:36
hey aloha
anything as long as the roof stays on! :) :) :)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Gravox
29th Jun 2001, 07:19
I think what BMpilot21 said was to wind alot of people up....

Flying Turboprops would be great, my old man flew turbo props and 737-200 for for 27 years (and said it was the best flying he has done), this way he could stay at home with the children and actually watch us grow, before moving on to the 767 and flying international

Each to themselves.....

But you have to enjoy what you are doing

Fanny Dyne
29th Jun 2001, 11:31
I've done both. The big jets pay much better money but I definitely got more fun and hands on with the turboprops.