PDA

View Full Version : Puma crash near A303

Nojima
5th Jul 2011, 13:05
I've removed the original post as it's no longer a rumour. Here's a link to the BBC News article about the Puma accident.
BBC News - Puma military helicopter crash lands in Hampshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14034511)

Lukeafb1
5th Jul 2011, 13:21
As at 2.15p.m. today, there are no reports on local television news ('South Today') of this incident. Hope it is just a rumour. If it is fact, like Nojima, I hope everyone survived.

mad_jock
5th Jul 2011, 13:26
err not being daft but your dad has informed the emergency services hasn't he?

And if there has been a crash someone will want a statement from him about what he saw.

cazatou
5th Jul 2011, 13:32
BBC News just confirmed crash. No reports of casualties.

sunday driver
5th Jul 2011, 13:47
Military and civilian emergency services seen in attendance at around 1355

SD (while passing through)

muppetofthenorth
5th Jul 2011, 13:55
BBC News - Puma military helicopter crashes in Hampshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14034511)

Article here.

The Old Fat One
5th Jul 2011, 16:04
Seems they are all OK...hope that is accurate.

Only thing that matters

jayteeto
5th Jul 2011, 16:59
Glad they are all ok, hope it wasn't another Cim Jartner type mishap :ooh::ooh:

Calcutta
5th Jul 2011, 17:40
Doesn't sound like that incident; a descent that didn't stop appropriately! - very amature eye-witness stated that the a/c was "Weaving and diving with strange noises"
Hate it when others speculate, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself - probably way off the mark anyway!
Really glad the crew walked away - the Force doesn't need any bad Press right now, just as they are restoring some creditability.

high spirits
5th Jul 2011, 17:53
Jayteeto,
Can't have been - no QHI involvement:E

NutLoose
5th Jul 2011, 18:00
Glad all are ok,

very amature eye-witness stated that the a/c was "Weaving and diving with strange noises"

I seem to remember reading an AAIB report in the past saying an amature was a better eye witness as they hold no preconceptions as to what is happening. So they actually tell what they saw, not what they thought they saw.
As said he needs to make a statement as a witness.

Jumping_Jack
5th Jul 2011, 18:32
Thank God the pilot steered away from the orphanage and primary school :ok:

TurbineTooHot
5th Jul 2011, 18:32
Glad the crew are ok and no-one on ground pranged.

Stay safe y'all.

TTH

MG
5th Jul 2011, 18:47
I think that they were really nice to consider the JHC flight safety folk and give them a nice stroll over the fields to get to the crash site!:O

NutLoose
5th Jul 2011, 18:52
I think that they were really nice to consider the JHC flight safety folk and give them a nice stroll over the fields to get to the crash site!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Ducking and weaving the irate farmers at the same time? only one I had force land in a crop field, he was not a happy man..

Shame it's not on it's gear, they could tow it back to Odious, been done before :ok:

MG
5th Jul 2011, 19:00
Don't be ridiculous man, of course it would have run out of gas by the time it got to the A34!!

VX275
5th Jul 2011, 19:10
Convienient too for Crash and Smash who now live just up the road at Boscombe and recently had a Puma on their low loader.

high spirits
5th Jul 2011, 19:12
MG,
You overlook one tiny fact..that JHC FS would be in work post 1300. Oxymoron anyone?

MG
5th Jul 2011, 19:16
Mmmm, very valid point! I stand (lie on the sofa) corrected!

dead_pan
5th Jul 2011, 19:18
Surprised no-one has posted the regulation "it'll buff-out" joke yet...

Glad the Benson boys are all safe and well.

Fox Four
5th Jul 2011, 19:45
Looks like it should buff out.....

Airborne Aircrew
5th Jul 2011, 19:45
Surprised no-one has posted the regulation "it'll buff-out" joke yet...

Don't be silly... You'll obviously need a couple of rolls of bodge tape too....

seafuryfan
5th Jul 2011, 20:00
Miraculous escape for crew as military helicopter crashes in field | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011479/Miraculous-escape-crew-military-helicopter-crashes-field.html)

Much damage evident, tail boom broken, no blades, and carrying an internal auxiliary fuel tank - good to see that the mounting bolts held this time. Interesting that an eye-witness described seeing smoke in flight.

Most of all, I'm glad the crew are safe.

Sir George Cayley
5th Jul 2011, 20:27
Predictable, I know, but any news on the bird? Was she a local lass?

SGC

fantom
5th Jul 2011, 20:33
but any news on the bird? Was she a local lass?

Do you mean 'total loss' ?

PPRuNeUser0211
5th Jul 2011, 20:33
Anyone want to lay money on the cab being the one with the most hours left? Some poor fleet planner has just had a little nuclear explosion on his desk!

Bishy
5th Jul 2011, 20:39
Well i wonder what JHC will be thinking now, i am pleased no one was hurt but does call into question the PUMA as an operational air type. Keeping the record of one crash a year before long it will take the Lynx accolade of "the widow maker"

rotormonkey
5th Jul 2011, 21:01
Bishy,

JHC don't do "thinking"... they're experts in the "knee-jerk" department. Fact.

Anyway, more importantly, I'm glad the crew are OK.

ramp_up
5th Jul 2011, 21:34
Looks like Puma turns over but fails to start to me. (Again)

Hueymeister
5th Jul 2011, 21:35
save the taxpayer some moolah on the upgrade and drive a forklift through the remaining fleet..death traps the lot of 'em!

ACW599
5th Jul 2011, 22:04
>Thank God the pilot steered away from the orphanage and primary school<

No doubt he bravely wrestled with the controls during the death plunge -- which was of course also a tailspin -- and narrowly avoided a playground, a convent and a football stadium.

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Jul 2011, 22:19
save the taxpayer some moolah on the upgrade and drive a forklift through the remaining fleet..death traps the lot of 'em!

Bit harsh Sir, had 3 great tours on the Puma :ok:

NutLoose
5th Jul 2011, 23:02
Bit harsh Sir, had 3 great tours on the Puma http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

No doubt you contributed in a massive way to the £6.3 Billion pound deficit in equipment with the amount of bodge tape you must have got through trying to seal the nose bay up in that period. :p

The aircraft had been flying from RAF Benson in Oxfordshire where a bird is understood to have hit it.

Read more: Miraculous escape for crew as military helicopter crashes in field | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011479/Miraculous-escape-crew-military-helicopter-crashes-field.html#ixzz1RH88156e[/QUOTE)

Flew a bloody long way before crashing then...... :ugh:

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Jul 2011, 23:18
We always had a little man who did that for us so goodness knows what it cost :p

ghostnav
6th Jul 2011, 04:11
How do we know the bird hit the Puma? For all we know, the Puma hit the bird. Bet no one has informed the bird's NOK!

high spirits
6th Jul 2011, 05:37
Maybe the bird is just a red herring....oh nuts, that would be a fish!

airborne_artist
6th Jul 2011, 06:12
Loving the efforts by the Mail's graphics team:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/05/article-2011479-0CE0460B00000578-405_468x397.jpg

Diablo Rouge
6th Jul 2011, 07:44
Wonder if the birds name was Wendy:

Wendy Haus, because it appears she has not hung around. Speculative I know, but there for all (not) to see, and what goes around.........

Wander00
6th Jul 2011, 07:49
But how does that compare to Wales or football pitches, the usual comparators

ShyTorque
6th Jul 2011, 07:50
No main rotor blades on it either but no-one's suggested they came off in flight...

NutLoose
6th Jul 2011, 09:15
No main rotor blades on it either but no-one's suggested they came off in flight...

£6.301 Billion pound deficit in equipment and counting.... ;)

airborne_artist
6th Jul 2011, 09:50
But how does that compare to Wales or football pitches, the usual comparators

More to the point, how big is a Puma compared to a London omnibus? I think we should be told.

charliegolf
6th Jul 2011, 11:08
If there was a bird involved, and it ended in tears, can we assume that Dark Menace was flying?

CG

Glad the crew is ok.

6th Jul 2011, 11:57
How do we know the bird hit the Puma? .......

....because the dent was at the back! :)

Airborne Aircrew
6th Jul 2011, 12:11
....because the dent was at the back!b-i-t-c-h...

:D :D :D

Bishy
6th Jul 2011, 14:01
Just heard that it has been stated post the Catterick crash ïf the RAF crash another puma no mid life upgrade". Well that should free up some funds for Army Aviation. No wait more hotels for the crabs.

Door Slider
6th Jul 2011, 15:04
Bin the pants Wildcat and we could buy our own hotels

Red_Phos
6th Jul 2011, 16:01
glad to hear the crews alright. the most important thing!

i heard this crash meant that the puma extension is gone and the army are going to get blackhawk now........

pukkah gen NO WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Vie sans frontieres
6th Jul 2011, 16:39
The boss of JHC will probably want to have a chat with the chap who conducted the recent Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force. ;)

Glad all got out safely.

Charlie Time
6th Jul 2011, 17:17
Bin the pants Wildcat AH if you must but don't tar HMA with the same brush.

Vasco Sodcat
6th Jul 2011, 17:33
No wait, more hotels for the crabs

Why dig in when you can check in?!:}

high spirits
6th Jul 2011, 17:52
Bishy,
That would seem rather harsh if it turned out to be for technical reasons. Not that there is any info to suggest it was....

Stitchbitch
6th Jul 2011, 18:42
Birds eh, how inconsiderate...The rear sliding cowling also appears to be missing..
perhaps it came off during the crash, perhaps in the air, if so that can ruin your day PDQ...
Glad the crew are safe and still about to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the mighty Puma!:ok:

Rigga
6th Jul 2011, 19:44
MRBs smashed off, Blade Pins still in place. Pitch Links Broke. So it seems it was all together when it hit the ground.

Dog house likely came off when it rolled and the tail broke from looking at the damage around the FBSG and the broken TR Drive.

dc1968
7th Jul 2011, 12:00
Birdstrike....?.....Flying pig more like!

Norfolk Inchance
8th Jul 2011, 19:59
Do 230 Sqdn still exist?? The photos looks like Softy the Puma has laid down to have its tummy scratched, just like a good little moggy. Bless.

RumPunch
9th Jul 2011, 00:47
Interesting the cowling is missing , birds dont usually hit that part and I mind back in Ireland so many times of a cowling inspection pre flight being the norm introduced as one came off in flight.

Main thing is everyone got out :)

SaddamsLoveChild
9th Jul 2011, 12:43
Glad all OK and a good job well done but how long before the Land funding reductions/JHC restrictions and reductions on Fg Hrs have a real effect on FS. Currency versus competency? All the boys and girls doing the best they can with the hrs they get but how many exemptions are being asked for? Only a matter of time before something serious happens.

NutLoose
9th Jul 2011, 12:58
How do we know the bird hit the Puma? .......

....because the dent was at the back! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wouldn't one mean hole? compared to the Wessex, the Puma was constructed of Bacofoil, they should have used more bodge tape on it, after all the floor boards seem to have remained in position quite well, considering they are bodge taped down.

heights good
9th Jul 2011, 16:14
" after all the floor boards seem to have remained in position quite well, considering they are bodge taped down."

Screwed down.

HG

NutLoose
9th Jul 2011, 16:40
Blimey, seem to remember never screwing them down, just tape up the joins.

Airborne Aircrew
9th Jul 2011, 19:54
Nutloose:

Yep... In 88 they were bodge taped down all around. Maybe, since they started so many shooting wars, they put some metal plate there to help out the crewman, they might need screwing down...

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2011, 22:16
compared to the Wessex, the Puma was constructed of Bacofoil,

Yes, there's no way those Pumas will last more than five minutes, is there? :rolleyes:

Fareastdriver
10th Jul 2011, 11:51
there's no way those Pumas will last more than five minutes

Over the thirty seven year period that I flew various marks of Puma, both military and civil, I knocked up over 12,000 hours with aircraft having various national registrations painted on the side. During that time I cannot remember a moment of concern. There were the odd hiccups; but not enough to make me stub my cigarette out.

Let's not talk about the S76.

hot_spud
10th Jul 2011, 12:37
From what I've heard the pilot handling did a great job to save the crew, given the aircraft was not wanting to fly. Well done you. :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
10th Jul 2011, 12:41
From what I've heard the pilot handling did a great job to save the crew, given the aircraft was not wanting to fly. Well done you.

Same as in parachuting... Any landing you walk away from is a good 'un... :D

Dundiggin'
10th Jul 2011, 19:30
I couldn't agree more; the Puma has been fabulous..I've flown in it since we bought the aircraft in 1971....I've had vortex ring (I reported sick for that one!) and one engine failure in all those years after we had subjected the old girl to all sorts of abuse in the name of operations. Fabulous helicopter it's just a pity the yoof of today don't seem to be able to handle her with a skill level above basic.
Nothing wrong with the Puma if you think there is then I suggest you look in the mirror for the real problem........
I did not intend to upset anyone but if I have - TUF!!;)

NutLoose
10th Jul 2011, 22:02
Never said it was bad, just a bit tinny compared to the Wessex, and maybe past it's sell by date a tad too, but never mind, here, I have uploaded some pics for you to reminisce over... :ok:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/CWxw202-1.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/CXXW200240OCUWellssportspitches.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/Puma2WellsNexttotheSea.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/PumaWellsNexttotheSea.jpg

:p

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/72departingcopy.jpg

ShyTorque
10th Jul 2011, 22:09
Nutloose, thanks for the photos. 15 Wessex to do the work of one Puma. Must have been a warm day. :p

Puma would have been a long way in front - or u/s :oh: !

Mind you, judging by the debris trail, that was a clumsy landing in the second Puma picture....

oldbeefer
11th Jul 2011, 07:41
I have a feeling I may have been no 24 (in a Puma) in that formation. All was well until the lead Wessex flared a bit. By the time the ripple got to me, chaos reigned!

Fareastdriver
11th Jul 2011, 10:10
I have a feeling I may have been no 24

Was that the famous 24 ship line astern formation led by either the station commander or OC Flying Wing; 8 Wessie follow by two packs of 8 Pumas.

I was No 2 in the first Puma pack and the overall leader decided he was ahead of schedule so he slowed down. By the time it got to No 8 Wessex he was standing on his tailwheel in the air. As a Puma requires three days notice in writing to slow down my No 1 and I passed him either side and then waited as he chased after his compatriots with his lever held against the roof. We presumed everybody behind got their act back together because the actual flypast was quite acceptable.

NutLoose
11th Jul 2011, 11:36
Was that the famous 24 ship line astern formation led by either the station commander or OC Flying Wing; 8 Wessie follow by two packs of 8 Pumas.

Erm 15 in the picture.............. was chased by a Puma if memory servs me correctly and was the Departure of 72 Sqn from Odiham.

Could be the last?
26th Jul 2011, 12:54
Any further 'speculation' on the cause?

bigley
27th Jul 2011, 11:07
CBTL, check your PM

MAD Boom
27th Jul 2011, 15:35
CBTL, check your PM

So is that you giving out some 'secret' knowledge, or telling him to stick his speculation hunting where the sun don't shine until the official report comes out?