PDA

View Full Version : First solo and messed it up..

6th Gear
5th Jul 2011, 11:36
Well I feel pretty foolish to be honest. And gutted with myself..
I began to learn to fly choppers 9 months ago for two reasons..
Firstly because flying terrified me even commercially, (too many episodes of black box etc) so I reckoned I'd take the bull by the horns. Secondly I adore Jet Rangers and want to own and fly one.

It took six hours in an R44 before I could even hold the cyclic gently, the first two hours I was sweating that much I couldnt even grip it. But slowly I began to drive to the airfield twice a week thinking I wasnt actually going to die that day. According to my Instructor I'm a model student - meticulous and cautious.
So I got to the solo stage a couple of days ago having hovered on my own for a while, made the call, started to climb then bang! Panic gripped me with a bit of air under me and no one in the left seat so it was all could do to turn round and come back. ,
Its knocked me a lot although if it takes me 200 flamin hours I'll do it. But would appreciate some advice from you guys who remember their own solo's and if they experienced anything similar when training etc..
Thanks! Simon

Mongrel Dog
5th Jul 2011, 12:42
So what you're saying is you found yourself in an uncomfortable situation, so you returned and made a safe landing.
Looks very much to me like sound decision making and fine airmanship. Dare I say a rare attribute among many aviators these days

I would suggest you have the important bits well in hand.

Don't worry about the nerves. I'm sure they'll go in time. Just enjoy the flying knowing that you're making progress.

industry insider
5th Jul 2011, 12:43
Stick with it my friend. Maybe try to have a little more continuity of lessons of you can. Try to have 2 lessons 1 day and 1 dual the next day followed by your solo.

You actually did the right thing if you felt how you say you did, recognising your own limits is a very valuable lesson in itself and to me shows that your thought processes are really sound.

Remember, your instructor won't send you unless you are ready so you are actually ready. Don't doubt yourself, think positive. Its a great experience going solo, I still remember mine in a Bell 47 31 years ago!

Good luck and please do let us all know how you get on.

Thomas coupling
5th Jul 2011, 13:18
6th gear - try "wannabees" better sutied forum...good luck and all that:bored:

Keepitup
5th Jul 2011, 13:22
Hey 6thGear,

No shame in what you did. We have all suffered it at one time or another, even if some people don't acknowledge it, even taking the old mans car out for the first time on my own was nerve racking, taking out a CBR600 for a test ride. Just think though, you took off, hovered, lifted, brought it back and landed safely, Mmmmm sounds to me like your doing a fine job, keepitup and enjoy. :D

Sorry TC !!!! I thought this was the Rotorheads section, therefore surely he IS in the right place.

Thomas coupling
5th Jul 2011, 13:40
Keepitup: keep up with it.

Rotorheads is for pro's and wannabees is for learners....read the screed on page 1 of pprune.:ugh:

[Fighting the cause...securing the future...rotorheads for professionals]

rotornut
5th Jul 2011, 13:41
I remember my first solo cross-country in a 300C. For the first time since I started the course I briefly turned around, looked at the top of the rotor mast and saw the spinning rotors. "Holy **** is that what's holding me up!" For a moment I was slightly terrified but I got over it. So don't worry 6th and keep us up to date.:ok:

Keepitup
5th Jul 2011, 14:56
Sorry TC! my mistake, but can't seem to find the rotorhead wannabees section. oh no hang on, 6thgear ain't a wannabee !

If 6th Gear has a question regarding flying helicopters, I would suggest he talks to the pros on the rotorhead section, after all thats what it is there for. Not in a section where he would probably be ignored.

Regards

Keepitup

bigglesbutler
5th Jul 2011, 15:36
So what you're saying is you found yourself in an uncomfortable situation, so you returned and made a safe landing.
Looks very much to me like sound decision making and fine airmanship. Dare I say a rare attribute among many aviators these days

I would suggest you have the important bits well in hand.

Don't worry about the nerves. I'm sure they'll go in time. Just enjoy the flying knowing that you're making progress. Seconded, you took an airworthy aircraft airborne, realised something was wrong and returned it in an airwothy state to the ground. Thats what we do whether it's an EC225 going offshore to the rigs, an S61 into the mountains to save a person (SAR) or a smaller training aircraft when you are learning to fly. All of my experience that has scared me sh!tless at various times.

Nerves, inhibitions and a lack of self belief is VERY hard to get over, but get over it you will with persistence. At the end of the day if this is flying for fun then the only benchmark is in yourself so stick with it and only practice gets rid of the "WHOA SH£T what was that" factor, whether that is nerves or the damned oil pressure dropping on number one engine.

Good luck and fly safe.

Si

P.S. I'm not getting into the correct forum argument, but I don't see the problem with the question being here.

inmate
5th Jul 2011, 16:30
I mean no disrepect by calling you a young man 6th Gear.

You are just the sort of pilot our industry needs to polish our image. You obviously have listened to your instructor, you can assses risk, make a good judgement call and live to talk about it. All professional learning blockes and something you will use for the rest of your career.

You have probibly laid in bed, stared at the ceiling and gone over the flight many times in your head. This is the same learning curve for all of us, and you will do this many times in what I am sure will be an excellent and safe career.

Your peers support you in here and do not be discouraged by anything negative that might be expressed by some.

This forum is where we want you to be. This is where you will learn by asking and listening

Here is something to think about later in your career when deciding whether it is safe for a flight to either begin or continue under present conditions:

Would I make this flight to either deliver or retrieve a can of paint ? If you even hesitate to answer then why would you jepardize either yourself,aircraft or passengers.

Fly safe and long young man.

whatsarunway
5th Jul 2011, 17:14
TC, careful now, i would have thought it was your professional responsibility to help new rotor heads along the way. and as for asking a question on the wannabe forum, well, im not a wannabe and i presume you are not either so why would you expect a response from anyone except from another wannabe.
Its a long road that has no bends, 6th gear could be your chief pilot some day. . . be nice.

6th gear, everyone gets a fright, learn from it, keep flyin and keep learning.

PlasticCabDriver
5th Jul 2011, 17:33
Doesn't sound like you messed it up at all. You got airborne, weren't happy and landed safely. Messing up would have been getting airborne when you weren't happy, pressing on anyway because you didn't want to be a "scaredy cat", then getting the landing wrong and crashing because you were panicking. Take a few more lessons, get your confidence back and have another go, safe in the knowledge you have already demonstrated the ability to make sensible decisions when you need to.

Camp Freddie
5th Jul 2011, 18:53
6th gear

In my experience flying is all about repetition, so the best way to reduce the nerves is to go back and do it again and keep doing it till you feel comfortable.

I suspect that there are a lot of professionals who have anxiety lurking just under the surface (not me of course :)) and while they are in there comfort zone there is no problem, but push them to the edge and it starts to come back, high altitudes being a common one.

I flew an R22 at 8000 feet AGL once or twice and didn't enjoy it at all, but if you did it regularly you would become accustomed very fast, wheras 8000 feet in bigger aircraft feels very normal, this is all new to you so hardly surprising if you are not comfortable.

Just as well your instructor is not TC, with his direct approach :)

B47
5th Jul 2011, 19:03
TC, you exhibit the very worst of pprune. The guy has enough balls to come and here and ask for advice and you tell him to go somewhere else?! I often liken pprune to a bar conversation - you would turn your back on him - shameful. He's not a wannabe, he's flying!! So where does a 900 hr private pilot like me fit in here then? I reckon private pilots are in the majority on here and always have been, regardless of pprune's precise title. Your 'I've got more hours than you' snobbery is the very worst side of aviation. And, in twenty years of flying, I've only ever seen it from pro pilots. I suggest you give him the benefit of your considerable experience, or were you born with an ATPL?

6th Gear
5th Jul 2011, 19:08
Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. Apologies if I'm in the wrong bit :confused:

Peter-RB
5th Jul 2011, 19:22
Hey TC,

Come on cut guy some slack, it takes a big man to admit he's got a little scared, I may not be a Pro either, but when I came first to this Forum about 10/11 years ago I asked was it ok to ask questions of "You Pros", the resultant answer from all was yes!,

I think I may have asked some pretty searching questions and I have had answers that when tried out worked, so apart from the difference in my flying ticket and yours , I pay to fly , where you pros are paid to fly, why do you think we PPL(H) flyers dont have the right or dare I say the ability to ask questions of the people we look up to, I dare say one or two of us do look up to you pro's, but me thinks you may have flown institutionalised types for too long to be able to see some PPL(H) questions here today, could be from the man who you need to ask in the future, or could the initials behind your name spell GOD!!

I dont mean to be rude, but I think you need a break or holiday or something to loosen up!

My regards

Peter Russell-Blackburn
Lancashire

LONG TIME ROTORHEAD READER/CONTRIBUTER

g0lfer
5th Jul 2011, 19:51
Well if it's any help, on my first solo I realized that for the first time in my life I could kill myself and there was nothing anyone could do to save me. It was down to me alone and boy did that make me feel scared!

Anyway, I got thru it and almost 10 years later I still get nervous every time I fly. Maybe that's why I have not (yet) had any unfortunate incidents?

Respect your fear, deal with it and keep going. It will be worth while.

Good luck

whatsthisdo
5th Jul 2011, 20:09
Sticking initially to the subject of the original post, I would also like to say a well done to 6th Gear for his actions in flight. He has my absolute respect for facing his fears and further to that, being brave enough to admit to his temporary problems. I'm quite sure that his Instructor is now even more confident in sending him out again, assured that he won't take any unneccesary risks. I certainly remember the pure fear downwind looking at the empty instructors seat. I now know poor Rodney was probably just as scared!

My second point is on the CPL/ATPL vs PPL debate. As a CPL FI with PPL abilities I feel I'm nicely placed to sit on the fence.:) In fairness the initial point was only that of the appropriate place to post. Although I would argue a bad one! If you want a proffessionals advice surely this is the best place to start?!

More importantly I would like to say that I think at least 90% of the "pro's" will always welcome questions no matter how silly they might seem. You only need attend one of VeeAny's safety evenings to see that it is actively encouraged across all levels of ability and is beneficial to all. Show me a helicopter pilot that doesn't want to talk about helicopters or his/her incredible ability in them!

I would propose that we have a check list before posting....

1. Has what I have to say any benefit to me, the industry, the addressee or safety?
2. Is it remotely funny?
3. Is the only reason I have time to correct peoples errors because I'm being paid quite alot of money to do as little as possible?
4. Should I perhaps go drive a taxi instead, to give myself a chance to put things back in perspective and realise I'm not that hard done by or irreplacable?

Feel free to add your own.

It is sadly an often unpleasant world on the Pro side of the fence and many of us find it deeply frustrating when we're told it's fantastic by those doing our 'job' for fun. but in my opinion we can start to improve it by behaving in a respectful manner to those around us, the rest of the problems are for many another thread.

Good luck with the next go 6th Gear, I look forward to meeting you one day stepping out of your Jet Banger (Still a great machine). Lets hope you've inspired others to be as brave.

timex
5th Jul 2011, 20:16
Glad to see you did the right thing and decided against going solo, first thoughts are that, either you're not ready for solo or perhaps you are still terrified of flying and this is your idea of a "cure". If its the latter perhaps you need a re-think or a good long chat with your instructor.

macdo
5th Jul 2011, 20:30
Can't say I liked instrument flying very much at first (understatement), barely even notice I'm doing it now. As a previous poster said, practice, practice, practice.....
BTW brave post. Best of luck.

helonorth
5th Jul 2011, 20:31
The first solo is both exhilarating and scary. Looking over and seeing an empty seat instead of the person that has prevented you from killing yourself up until now, is quite a moment. You're now a helicopter pilot!
Keep it up as long as you're having fun. You hopefully will become more comfortable over time. There will be a point where you will say to yourself: why was this once so HARD? Some people on here think they were born with several thousand hours. You are a helicopter pilot and this is where to ask your questions.

Lonewolf_50
5th Jul 2011, 20:44
Sixth Gear:

You first solo mission was a success.

Take off, fly, safe landing.

One step at a time.

Crawl
Walk
Jog
Run
Sprint

Hang in there! :)

chopjock
5th Jul 2011, 20:44
You got scared flying a Robbo? Hell, me too :}

chriswhi
5th Jul 2011, 21:11
I remember my first solo at Barton, my instuctor got out on the north side of the field to leave me to do a circuit. On the climb out air traffic called me and asked "did I know who the person was stood on the north side" my reply was along the lines of " he's my bloody instructor I am going to need him if I get back in one piece". all you need on a first solo.

Senior Pilot
6th Jul 2011, 00:23
6th Gear,

Fine first post, although I see you've been lurking for a few months and will have picked up a feel for Rotorheads in that time. We're more of a community than a forum, and those who have many hours and years of experience will usually give the genuine enquiry a proper response. In the same way that a 'spotter' will get very short shrift, and deservedly so ;)

Since there is no 'wannabees' forum in PPRuNe for helicopter pilots, it is in our own interests to help those starting out who may well finish up Commercial Pilots, or even those we may come across in our daily tasking. There is an easy way for those who would prefer not to have any but CPL related threads here: don't read those that you don't meet your personal criteria :ok:

Heliport
6th Jul 2011, 00:26

As some of you will know, I was the Moderator of this forum from 2000 -2007. During that time, there were occasionally (not often) suggestions that Rotorheads should be divided into two with a separate forum for 'Wannabes'. If there had been sufficient support for that, I would have arranged it. There never was.

As TC says, the blurb at the front of PPRuNe describes this forum as 'A haven for professional helicopter pilots to discuss the things that affect them.' It is primarily a forum for professional pilots, and most of the regular contributors are professionals - but PPLs and student-pilots have always been welcome.

The forum has a well-established ethos: It's a friendly 'crew-room' where we discuss everything from helicopter ops to highly technical topics, enjoy a laugh, have the occasional row and willingly help each other - which includes people with enormous experience and expertise helping PPLs and student pilots who wish to learn.

The formula worked and Rotorheads grew into one of the busiest forums on PPRuNe, one of the two biggest helicopter forums on the internet, and the biggest international forum with members working in a wide variety of ops all over the world.
Those who’ve joined in recent years might find it hard to believe but, in 2000 it was good going if the number of posts on a thread reached double figures. The number of views of a thread didn't reach three figures very often and the number of people on the forum at any one time never exceeded very low double figures. (There are 227 as I write this.)
These two threads from 2000 illustrate the point:
Drying Paint (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20366)
Dead Forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18726)

Over the years, there were entirely justified complaints from professionals about beginners constantly asking questions that had already been asked and answered endless times. We reduced that problem significantly by having the 'So you want to be a Helicopter Pilot' sticky at the top of the forum but, even if it was in flashing lights, some newbies would still post without reading it.
R22 questions and discussions have, for some time, been kept in one place as far as practicably possible: 'The R22 Corner'. There's bound to be some delay before threads are merged – all PRuNe Mods are volunteers who do the job in their spare time.

Things do get a little heated between the Pros and the PPLs from time to time; they always have. I no longer monitor the forum closely but, when I did, more often than not it wasn't the fault of the Pros – unless they should be criticised (not by me) for occasionally becoming totally exasperated by the sort of PPLs who think they know as much as the professionals and argue instead of reading and learning.

It's no longer my decision but, if it was, I'd keep it as it is: A professional pilots forum where PPLs and student pilots are welcome to ask questions and learn.

Peter-RB and B47
TC does get chippy at times - I don't think he'd deny it - and I disagree with his stance in this thread, but he's also one of the stalwarts who helped to make this forum the success it is.

H.

Peter-RB
6th Jul 2011, 06:09
Heliport,
Good morning, How nice to read your totally calm and reasond comment once more,

I think we all enjoyed the times past when you were the " Boss" in that I do believe twas you who encouraged PPL(H) like myself to join in and ask questions of the obvious talented professionals who take their time to give correct answers to the likes of the amatuer ranks.

A great many of the PPL(H) pilots take great score in what is written in answers to questions concerning flying the Helicopter that we have access to, and we enjoy the improved flying that information allows, dont segregate but continue to allow the greenhorns to ask, that way we all learn something.

Many regards

Peter R-B
VfrpilotPB

212man
6th Jul 2011, 06:33
Those who’ve joined in recent years might find it hard to believe but, in 2000 it was good going if the number of posts on a thread reached double figures

When I joined in 1999 I was member 8000 and something, and I remember the total number of ppruners hitting the 10,000 mark a few months later. I see now there are over 328,000! Things have certainly changed, mostly for the better :ok:

BusinessMan
6th Jul 2011, 08:34
6th Gear, congratulations on your first solo! Please don't under-state the achievement :D. Personally I still get more pride thinking back to what that first solo flight involved than I do looking back at any other (incl Instrument Rating test & first line check).

For me, that's because I found that flight one of the hardest. Everything still felt very new: just being in an aircraft, the flying itself, the radio, the airborne environment, the thought of an emergency etc etc and then the fact that you're on your own compounding it all. For me it has been like Camp Freddie describes in his first point about familiarity and repetition.

I have found that as I have gained experience new things have become easier to learn as there is more spare capacity for it. My confidence has developed incrementally, unlike many I know who seem to have been born with it (lucky them!). All I'm really trying to say is i hope you do stick with it because for some of us that 1st hurdle is the hardest and it does get easier and more fun from there :).

The poster who suggested taking a series of lessons on successive days and then having a dual lesson immediately before the solo sounds really sensible. It's what worked for me (and a good instructor of course).

Best of luck and hope soon to be hearing how much you are enjoying it all. BM

6th Gear
6th Jul 2011, 10:35
Once again I'd just like to thank all of you who have taken the time to offer advice, some of whom I recognise on here as being extremely well respected.

Totally appreciate this is a forum for professionals, I did think twice before posting and perhaps should have made that clearer in the original post.
That said, I hoped I'd get a bit of positive feedback from you guys and confess to being quite humbled by the number of kind and helpful replies.
Thanks again :ok:

Thomas coupling
6th Jul 2011, 11:35
Oh dear, when Heliport and Peter RB come out of the woodwork to comment - something is most definitely wrong:eek:
6th Gear - I apologise most profusely for my abrupt manner. I now accept that the line between newbies and pro's is grey and not black and white.
I shall endeavour to mellow as I get older...not mope!

Welcome to Rotorheads :O

Retro Coupe
6th Jul 2011, 11:59
6th Gear.

Welcome to the Rotary Club. I can remember my fiirst solo (R22) like it was yesterday (it was actually 26 years ago). Not only did the aircraft feel incredibly light without the instructor but I also remember the noises it made seemed even more pronounced when I was on my own. You should be incredibly proud of yourself for taking off, flying a circuit and landing without any assistance. :ok:

SASless
6th Jul 2011, 12:09
6th....if it will make you feel any better.....on a Solo flight as I was at about a whopping total of 15-20 hours total time in a 269....I began to over control shortly after takeoff. It was plain to everyone including myself that all was not looking good as the oscillations were getting larger rapidly. I finally talked myself out of the problem and made it around the circuit in one piece.

I retired almost forty years later having flown helicopters in most of the world....did most anything you can do with a helicopter....and got to the point it was pure enjoyment most days....and some nights.

Don't let it put you off....we all have our good days....and our not so good days. Do just as you tell your Missus....relax and enjoy it!

As to some of the less than supportive posts....ignore them.

True Professionals have an obligation to mentor less experienced folks in the trade and to fail to do so only indicts their lack of Professionalism. Unfortunatley, there are Wannabe's amongst us with thousands of hours that insist on proving that to the rest of us periodically. Be we amateur or doing it for a living.....we share a common bond...that being a love of flying and should treat each other with respect.

PO dust devil
6th Jul 2011, 14:57
IMHO

Hey new guy. I am a full time helicopter pilot and have been for over 2 decades. I have flown Hughes 300 as a student through to S92 instructing. Your interaction on this forum is welcome for my two cent's worth and you should be able to enjoy the fellowship here without reservation. Negative vibes would be better confined to jetblast.

It behoves experienced professionals to sponsor new guys and their questions :ok:

Having said that - I am terrified so regularly I cccan't offfer aaany advice.:}

Kiwi500
7th Jul 2011, 04:25
Still scares me thinking of mine:}. R22, lift...like a spring, hover.....shakey, circuit....wobbly, flare to hover.....nearly fell over backwards, landings the hard part so will just hover a while to get it together, sweat causes right eye to shut....gotta land before left eye also shuts and cant see at all, or gas runs out:eek: Flop out of hover and hit the deck semi gracefully just as left eye closes. Instructor opens door, "thats good do another one'.....hes dragged in, parks the bird.....we have beer. Great stuff!!:E Good luck, and keep it up!

whoateallthepies
7th Jul 2011, 06:48
TC
It takes a big man to say what you did on your last post.

I haven't always agreed with your comments on Rotorheads, but that's what makes it such an interesting forum. I would just like to add that 6th Gear and other PPLs remind me of the reasons why I enjoy (still) this helicopter lark!

Long may we have a good mix of experience on here.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CWssmm81yyw/TaVOAlq8kZI/AAAAAAAAAEs/jxVrJNxYO6M/s128/pie.jpg

inmate
7th Jul 2011, 16:49
Whoateallthepies you are correct.

I read TC's reponse yesterday and thought the same, that takes a set of big ones to respond and take foot from mouth. Well done TC.

We all make mistakes the differnce between us all is some learn from them while others are doomed to repeat them (possible only once)

Thought for the day: "Their are only two types of helicopter pilot. Old ones and the rest.
Their are your choices.
Choose Now

KNIEVEL77
6th Aug 2013, 18:47
Okay so this is an old thread but I really would love to hear what eventually happened and if you got over your fear............and if you stuck with it and did you get your dream Jet Ranger?

FLY 7
6th Aug 2013, 20:01
I think he did

Just bought a Bell 206 B3 - dream come true.. - PistonHeads (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1064256) :D

But it didn't seem to last long

Selling the Jet Ranger.. - PistonHeads (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1158084) :bored:

as350nut
6th Aug 2013, 23:47
I am glad this is an an ominous ; I have a couple of tricks/comments for when you get an attack of fear. Firstly I think it happens to a lot of pilots low(more) or high time(less), and usually when there is no great reason for it, and it happens at odd times. They won't admit it though. Only a problem if its all the time. The human condition is such that when we really should be fearful, when something really goes bad, we actually don't get scared (maybe after yes), otherwise we would never have evolved,( hunting bears with spears etc). I actually don't like it flying around at 6,000 feet, or with only 200 ft of room between clouds above and fog below, or when a wind gust is so hard on one side its like god slapping me in the air. NOW the weird bit; So at that point if fear really sets in then I think hey it just killed me, I'm dead, but I died flying a helicopter how cool is that, the whole world gets to die in real sh*tty ways but I've just been flying. Ok so I'm dead, it can't hurt me now. So I can't be hurt may as well keep flying now. Weird I know but works for me, I don't do this often maybe once or twice but might be a help.

fly911
7th Aug 2013, 11:34
If "Rotorheads" is for professionals, I can't help but wonder what Thomas Coupling is doing here.

flyingflea
7th Aug 2013, 12:30
It sounds like a simple case of nerves, although I wasn't so much nervous as excited on my first solo. Like you I learnt to fly (30 years ago) to overcome a fear of flying and it certainly worked for me.

Much later in life I started having "panic attacks" at home or in the car. These are quite frightening things and can happen to anyone at any time of life for no apparent reason.

Although I haven't had one for about 5 years, it stopped me flying (my own decision) as a P. Attack in flight as a single pilot is not something I would recommend to anyone.

Probably not relevant but thought I'd get that off my chest...

jayteeto
8th Aug 2013, 07:53
Mental attitude and not skill is your problem. Your instructor knows you are ready, you know you are ready, so why a problem?
Have a think and write down what your actual fear of flying is...........
Is it crashing and dying? Is it fear of embarrassment? Do you get airsick?
I have 7000 hrs helicopter with one crash in Belize in the early 1990s that I walked/swam away from. I fly an air ambulance daily into difficult landing sites and you know what? The most dangerous part of my day is my drive into work!!! Other commuters are dangerous.
I bet you don't think twice about driving your car.....................

diginagain
8th Aug 2013, 18:20
ISTR doing the 'glance around the cockpit' trick on my first Gazelle solo too, including looking back at the hub. Only the once. I found it truly astounding that someone had let me out on my own!