PDA

View Full Version : Jaa time???

HappyBandit
5th Jul 2011, 10:35
Hello fellow colleagues,

Given the lack of employment and movement of late particularly in Oceania, is it worthwhile in converting my ICAO ATPL to JAA and trying my luck in Europe???

Artificial Horizon
5th Jul 2011, 11:30
Only if you have a European passport and quite a bit of cash to 'convert' your licence. I hear things are picking up a little bit over in Europe but still tough unless you have substantial experience.

Jerry Lee
5th Jul 2011, 11:38
If you want to stake a claim on your parents' home to get a P2F job and you have the legal right to live and work in Europe, then yes! It worths it!:(

By the way, many airlines in Europe require you to be fluently in the local language.

redsnail
5th Jul 2011, 12:31
Happy bandit, as with many things "it depends".
First and foremost, as others have said, do you have the right to live and work in Europe? If not, then save your money.

If so, woo hoo. First hurdle done. Can you speak another language? If not, then you are restricted to UK airlines generally.

Hiring is "just" beginning to happen now. The recession's been tough and Europe isn't out of the woods yet - not by a long shot. Have a look at Greece, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Spain and Portugal to see what I mean. Greece will probably default sooner or later and that'll really hurt.

The 2 main airlines that have been hoovering up crew, easyJet and Ryanair have generally taken their new crew from the various "cadet" schemes running around. Ryanair will take captains with command time on the Boeing 737NG.
However, both airlines have indicated a slow down in expansion. This will have a knock on effect.

So, Europe may not necessarily be the best option but if you want to travel a bit and see more of the world, it's not a bad move. Just know what you're getting yourself into.

Good luck.

Jerry Lee
5th Jul 2011, 20:53
HappyBandit, you want to build up hours and get paid, right? You're willing to come here in Europe, in the far side of the World?
Go in Africa! Try to get a job there as contractor pilot or something else. It's not impossible, you just need to be disposed to leave and work for a while in remote area.

You live in Australia! Lucky you!
In Europe AG experience is nothing! I could have even more than 3000 hours both on single and multi engine planes, but arlines like WizzAir or easyJet will reduce them to 300 hours with their factorised hours table.
This does not happen in Australia, does it?

Then, in Europe we have a lots of languages, and as redsnail said many of them require you to be fluent in local language. There's a company that requires to be fluent in three languages!!! English, Dutch and French.

Give a look in Africa. I'll do the same!