PDA

View Full Version : Emirates: Downgrading Terms again???

Flaps99
4th Jul 2011, 22:21
Provident Fund / End of Service Gratuity
Upon leaving the company, employees are entitled to an End of Service Gratuity (for an employment period of less than 5 years) or Provident Fund payment.
End of Service Gratuity is calculated at 21 days basic salary per annum for the first 5 years of service, and 30 days basic salary per annum for each year of service thereafter.
The Provident Scheme is a long-term savings plan in which the employee contributes 5 percent of basic salary, and the company contributes 12 percent (starting after 5 years of service

Starting after 5 years???
Until now, I knew you couldnt have access to it before 5 years, but atleast it summed up from day 1 if im not mistaken..
So now, if ur in the company say 10years..you only get 5 years of Provident Fund or what??

Oh and another thing: The basic salary says: ie F.O 25320 based on average block hours flown. What is this meaning, what does the base on block hours flown have to do with basic salary? if im on leave and fly 10hours..I dont even get my full basic?
im sure they dont just write this for the fun..theres gotta be a meaning and its different from before..

One last thing, not to do with EK..this is seen on other threads that Dubai is now making u pay 5% of your rent as tax..

SassyPilotsWife
5th Jul 2011, 01:06
I have seen inquiries on other threads and being that I'm a real estate agent in the UAE, perhaps I can ease your minds a bit. I will also apologize ahead of time if any new laws have been executed the month or so that I have been on holiday. I just returned a few days ago.

Since my return, I've not been advised of any new taxes being imposed on tenants who rent in Dubai

There has been in place for a while now a housing tax included in your DEWA bill which over a 12 month period, adds up to 5% of your annual rent.

Here are a couple of options that I've known others to do but at their own risk, especially if they are EK pilots:

If your landlord is an emirati, keep the DEWA bill in his name if he is willing, it avoids the tax and the utility bill is 1/3 of the cost of an expat having them in his/her name.
I don't know if that will work for EK pilots as I am not sure the reimbursement policy and if its figured into your salaries.

Negotiate this 5% with your landlord. There are always so many ways to get around this. It just takes good negotiating by your agent.

If your housing allowance is 150 or 170k PA stay under 95% of that amount. It will cover the difference.

Ask to have the landlord pay the 5% commission ( if applicable) to your agent. We don't care which side pays and to be honest, I prefer the landlord to pay. They are more keen to keep the tenant happy if they've had to pay for them!

If you're EK, ask your agent to negotiate a lower rent for you. I do it all the time. They want EK tenants ! Especially EK landlords !

Last but not least, go live in another Emirate! Go to RAK. Al Hamra, Mina Al Arab are 2 developments where you can have a villa on the beach. I work directly with the developer of Mina Al Arab and have a very good rapport with them. Neither property is on DEWA and does not charge any type of tax.

I will follow up with this inquiry with RERA as well as the managing partners at my firm to confirm nothing new has been added to the rules and regulations (I am catching up with a months emails on outlook to see if anything has been sent to me).
If EK is charging this to their employees direct, well there are ways to get around it. ;)

Best of luck !!!

Jet II
5th Jul 2011, 03:14
One last thing, not to do with EK..this is seen on other threads that Dubai is now making u pay 5% of your rent as tax..

This has been happening for years - its just that DEWA are very haphazard about collecting it and whether you get hit or not is pure chance.

Wizofoz
5th Jul 2011, 05:09
Flaps,

The company contribution has always been since day 1 and I'd be suprised if it has changed with no fanfare.

I THINK that is a badly worded document (not uncommon!!) simply saying you are not entitled to GET the 12% until after 5 years (and you don't all of it till after 7) but I stand to be corrected.

Craggenmore
5th Jul 2011, 07:45
Flaps99,

Can you rename your wholly misleading post,

"I can't be bothered to contact the Provident fund so I think that my savings plan that started from month 4 of my joining is being stolen from me."

Why dont you talk to the Provident fund people directly to get the definitive answer.

1. Log-in
2. find the "Contact Us" tab
3. Click on it
4. Ask question
5. Wait for response

25320 is your basic salary. You need to fly Zero hours to receive this. One look at your pay slip and would have revealed this "mystery" !

Jolly Foreigner
5th Jul 2011, 08:50
I think you might find that Flaps99 can't log in to check out his provident scheme, as he doesn't work for EK. Just someone else surfing at T's and C's of other airlines - take a look at his previous posts.:cool:

Kapitanleutnant
7th Jul 2011, 06:49
Maybe I misunderstood the original posters question but.......

As I understand the Provident Scheme, the company' 12% each month is only receivable to an outgoing employee starting at the 5 year point and is only a percentage of the total amount until you reach the magic 7 year point, at which you as an outgoing employee will receive 100% of the company's 12% contribution.

Of course you would receive all of the 5% total and any self made contributions anytime you leave.

Is this close?

Kap

fatbus
7th Jul 2011, 09:32
Nothing has changed