PDA

View Full Version : What to do after ATPL ?

Aerodynamisist
4th Jul 2011, 10:56
I'm looking for something to do post ATPL, preferably aviation flavoured. Has any one got any idea's of what is out there and available for continued professional development ?

Horatio Leafblower
4th Jul 2011, 11:22
You could go and get a wife and kids, but they're too expensive for most pilots and they're the opposite of 'aviation flavoured'.

Why not go to Uni instead? Master's in Aviation Management or similar.

PercyWhino
4th Jul 2011, 11:24
Study some LAME subjects. I'm currently working through FF Power Fluid Systems.

Improves your systems understanding

Mr.Buzzy
4th Jul 2011, 11:27
"Homebrew for Dummies" is a terrific book from the "Get a life Bozo" series. After you're well versed in interesting topics you may find that people around you (including Captains) won't appear so hypoxic. Hell, some crazy dude may even offer you a job!!!!!

Bbbbzbzbzbzbzbzbbbbbzzzzzz

Howard Hughes
4th Jul 2011, 11:54
One of the many online betting agencies offer good 'courses'...:E

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Jul 2011, 12:41
I'm looking for something to do post ATPL

Become a pilot ? :E

Dr :8

Xcel
4th Jul 2011, 12:46
+2 for best replies of the year... Give that man a beer! And a job!

beat ups are fun
4th Jul 2011, 21:45
I would suggest, have a beer and celebrate. Then update the resume and start emailing monthly.

I've considered doing the JAA's but I'm not mad enough to put myself that kind of torture just yet.

Aerodynamisist
4th Jul 2011, 22:18
Thanks for the constructive replies, I'll give the kids a miss though thanks Horatio although I will look into these wife, can you lend me yours to see if I like married life or not ?

Bongo Bus Driver
4th Jul 2011, 22:38
Pilots.....trust them with your life not your money or your wife.

Many pilots I know are doing aviation degrees part time because in NZ the ATPL is not recognised as much as a degree. I have often thought about upskilling outside of aviation or getting involved in a side business so you have a fall back option if/when it goes pear shaped. Problem is what. Any body doing a side job?

DeltaT
5th Jul 2011, 08:19
in NZ the ATPL is not recognised as much as a degree

I dispute the Degree is recognised more in NZ, I have one and it has made no difference whatsoever, if you have one then something else will be found you do not have to meet the shifting goal post requirements.
Yes there are points attributed to it in the Air NZ hiring point system, but if you spent those years at Uni flying a plane instead I bet those hours would give you more points!
As for doing a Aviation related Degree as well, the term 'all your eggs in one basket' comes to mind, but this old chestnut has arisen before on the forums.

My suggestion would be to do a qualification or trade in something as far removed from aviation as you can for when you are made redundant or lose your medical.