PDA

View Full Version : Your expert opinion on piper lance

Donegal Dan
4th Jul 2011, 00:04
Hi guys.
I was just wondering if I could get some advice.
Me and some friends are looking to buy an aircraft for hour building and to tour Australia. We are all new to this though and would like to know who to ask and some basics we should look for. We found one and would like to know what we should be looking for. I know we may seem stupid going into something we don't to much about but that's why I ask and even if this fails I will learn for next time so all info would be really appreciated. Here's the ad for one we seen

Piper Lance PA-32 R 300 - $ 40,000 Australian Dollars (AUD) (Convert Currency)

seller comments:

Seven seats, recent under-carriage refurbishment, storm scope.
Exellent plane to fly.
ad details
Total Time 10904
Airframe Information

Year 1976
Usage Category Touring
Serial Number 32R-7680496
Registration VH-BHW
Original Airframe Log Books Yes
Original Engine Log Books Yes
Accident History No
Maintenance Release Expiry Date 12-04-2012
Hours To Next 100 Hourly 96
Undercarriage Retractable
Tricycle
Instrument Status VFR
Engine Status On Condition
Engine Type Piston Flat
Engine Make Lycoming
Engine Model IO-540
propellor #1 specifications

Prop Time on condition
Prop Manufacturer Hertzel
Number of Blades 2
Pitch Constant Speed
avionics information

Nav/Com/GPS 1 Collins VHF-251
Nav/Com/GPS 2 Collins VHF-251
Nav/Com/GPS 3 Garmin 100
Nav/Com/GPS 4 Garmin 296
Transponder 1 Collins TDR-950
interior Condition

Interior Rating 3 - Average
Interior Comments Front seats replaced 16 months ago
exterior Condition

exterior Rating 3 - Average
Price

Asking Price 40,000
Currency Australian Dollars (AUD)
GST Plus GST
Ad id: 1704
Ad views: 2035
added: 11.04.2011
general details:

Your opinion on this or something else would be great. We are looking for a 6 seat. That runs well doesn't have to be all 'shiny'.

Thanks

Hasherucf
4th Jul 2011, 08:54
40k ? Whats wrong with it ? Must be ratty or out of engine hours

NutLoose
4th Jul 2011, 11:50
What are the prop and engine hours, "On Condition" infers they are over TBO ( though in the UK on private cat it can continue to fly on that)

I think the cost of an engine will floor you if and when it is needed

I quote this from a 2007 article

Home Page (http://www.velocityaircraft.com/newsV5/engine.html)

still drop my jaw when I hear that a new IO-540 from Lycoming is north of $45,000. A freshly overhauled IO-540 will be in the $20-$30K range and may require a core. I don’t have a core.

Lycoming Aircraft Engines - Don George Aircraft Engines and Parts (http://dongeorgeaircraft.com/lycoming.htm)

You have to factor that and the prop into the price..get a licenced engineer to do a survey for you of the aircraft, it is seriously money well spent

Donegal Dan
4th Jul 2011, 12:30
Thanks for that. That's the kind of help I'm hoping for. Cheers for the advice

Progressive
7th Jul 2011, 15:48
At that price I would be very suspicious! There is no such thing as a cheap aircraft and this one is well below expected. Even with an on condition engine a lance should be about $100,000 so there must be something else wrong. The only real way to know is to get a pre purchase from a reputable LAME who is not connected to the seller and knows the type well. If you let me know what state its in I can maybe recomend one (I am a LAME myself).

vestro
27th Jul 2011, 16:40
Hi,,
my name is Jai Wright,,I own & operate a Aircraft Maintenance Facility in Australia.. Avwright Aviation Maintenance Professionals - Home page (http://www.avwright.com.au) I service several PA-32 A/C that operate in different environments & also carry out regular Pre Buy inspections... If required my company could assist with any Pre Buy or consulting for your purchases...

Regardless of your decision I firmly recommend you have a pre buy carried out on any A/C you consider by a reputable organisation as it has potential to save you $$$$$...

Alternatively I also rent several PA 28-161 A/C ,,, you may want to consider renting as opposed to Purchase,, Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance...

Regards

Jai Wright

contactcouch
10th Jun 2012, 04:56
I have not long bought a lance of the same age. Mine is on condition and I should be able to get another 400 - 500 hrs out of it.
I had it repainted $20k. Some engine monitors $5k.
It's got 4200 hrs. I paid $95k.
So after all that if I had to put a new motor in all up it will be around $170k. and I will have a really good plane.
If I get the 400 - 500 hrs extra that equates to free flying to me. I have already put 200 + on it. Uses 1 litre oil per 8 hrs. Compressions 74 to 76.
Put an engine monitor in it to keep an eye on the motor and don't let the cyl tmps go over 380 and you should get those extra hrs.
In your case if the plane is sound with reasonable avionics ( auto pilot, gps, etc.) and they all work with little corrosion, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it but expect to spend money over the next 5 years and if spent wisely will last a long time .
The plane is an excellent plane . I cruise at 150 kts doing 50 lts/hr all the time.
I travel from nth qld. to victoria about 6 times a year in it. (1010 nt mls.)
I take the 2 rear seats out and can carry all I can fit in including our lab.
As you can see I love my Lance.
If you need to contact me [email protected]