PDA

View Full Version : Gliding package for PPLs @ Ridgewell (Essex/Suffolk border)

ProfChrisReed
3rd Jul 2011, 21:29
I started the recent thread on gliding for PPLs (thanks mods for allowing me to post details there and here). I have now agreed with my club (Essex GC) details of the package.

Where we're coming from: We're not aiming at a profit-making package. Our gain is if a PPL stays a member and continues to fly with us - the club grows and we spread the costs more widely. Essex GC has 2 ATPLs as gliding members, and some PPLs as well, so we're "equal opportunities" in that sense. We have space for a few more members without losing the good things about our club, and I've seen interest among members of this forum over the last year, but also concerns about the length of training. Thus this package aims to deal with those concerns.

Part 1 is a Taster Day - we provide 6 winch launches or 2hrs in the air (depends on soaring conditions). This will pretty much tire you out. You also get a month's membership in case you're not sure and want to fly with us again (we can only fly members of the club).

If you like it, and us, you can join as a member and take our Fixed Price to Solo package at a 50% discount (we count the Taster Day as part payment), because we reckon PPLs need about half the training of ab initio glider pilots. Unless it's an unusual day (weather, unserviceable aircraft), pilots in training can usually manage between 3 and 5 training flights if they want them.

You'll notice that I'm not offering bookable training slots, half day sessions, etc. This is because we think that if you want to take up solo gliding, you'll need to do it by the day anyway. My typical day: arrive around 10.00 (we're a small club and very relaxed), cup of tea with mates, an hour getting the airfield and club aircraft ready. Rig my own glider (another hour to get it set up right and me ready). Wait for the weather to be right to launch (no big launch queues) while I help get others airborne, launch and fly for 2 to 6 hours. Land, wash glider, de-rig. Help put club equipment to bed. It's about 6pm, so home time.

This is really aimed at pilots within a reasonable drive of us (we're roughly between Sudbury, Haverhill and Braintree). If you're going to become a solo glider pilot you will want a nearby club, so this isn't sensible if you live many miles away. Also, we're small and can train a maximum of five additional PPLs at a time - we're too small to train lots to solo and then send them back to their home clubs. If you want the solo in a week route, any big, full-time operational, club should be able to put together something appropriate for you.

If anyone local is interested in soloing in gliders (before the end of Autumn if you can put the time in) and, ideally, continuing to glide, PM me and we'll have a chat. If the mods are happy I can post prices here (gliding isn't expensive, just owning an aricraft is - but you all know that already).

Finally, we were lucky to be able to test this out last weekend. rkgpilot contacted me as a result of the original thread and took up a Taster Day. It worked for him at least because he joined up for the Fixed Price to Solo package on the spot! I'm hoping he'll chip in to answer any questions from other PPLs.

If you're interested but too far away, why not ring your local gliding club and see if they will offer something similar? I think the old, snobbish days when glider pilots thought PPLs weren't proper fliers, and vice versa, are some time gone, from my many visits to other gliding clubs. Loads of PPLs there, flying gliders.

Oh, and one last thing (that "Finally" was a bit premature). If you're womdering whether gliding is for you, remember that it's completely pointless apart from the fun. Well, perhaps the achievement as well. If I ever manage my planned flight to the Welsh borders and back it won't all be fun, I guess, but the smug smile should last me a few weeks.

ProfChrisReed
3rd Jul 2011, 21:41
Oops, forgot something. This makes more sense if you know that we estimate that on average a PPL will take 30 winch launches to solo (obviously, depends on experience and how quickly you "get" this different form of flying). So the Taster Day is a big first step, and enough to tell whether it's for you, and for you to work out how long your training to solo might take,

AC-DC
4th Jul 2011, 09:19
I would have loved to join you but just live too far (Herts.).

Good luck to you all.

Ph1l
4th Jul 2011, 15:48
I would definately be interested in at least the taster, my a/c is in Braintree anyway so not far and Id love to learn to fly a glider, soaring sliently around and I expect wont break the bank either.

rkgpilot
4th Jul 2011, 16:12
I offered to be ProfChrisReed's guinea pig and I'm glad I did.

The taster day was well organised and I got a full 6 launches in with the CFI as my instructor. It was a very good introduction indeed to a 'day in the life of a glider pilot' and I now have no fear of the 'hanging around all day to get 5 minutes in the air ' thing, at least at this club. As Chris says, 6 launches in a day is quite tiring, and it's plenty to keep you occupied.

I thoroughly enjoyed the gliding experience and getting to know the club members (but don't mention playing the Ukulele). I signed up for the Fixed Price to Solo scheme as I decided it is something I want to do and I don't see that it conflicts with my 'other life' as a power pilot at all.

This is a good deal. Happy to help interested PPLs decide - feel free to PM.:)

ProfChrisReed
4th Jul 2011, 19:09
Thanks rkgpilot! Must remember to hide the ukuleles if someone follows in your footsteps.

old-timer
5th Jul 2011, 07:59
:ok:

I can thoroguhly recommend Gliding to PPL's - I did some Gliding with the ATC and Channel G.C prior to commencing my PPL and then did some more Gliding just before completing my PPL (I managed to get my A cert' on weeks course at the Cornish G.C at Perrenporth - a magic week in the sun with a marvellous instructor Ken Wooley and a co-participant who was a 737 Captain.)
I definately feel that gliding improves your flying & makes you more aware of the science of flying in general.
Apart from all that I found that Gliding folk are very friendly ;) and above all else Gliding IS fun ! :D :D

mary meagher
5th Jul 2011, 08:28
Thank you Professor! you have been a shining beacon to all those who would wish to try our sport, but might have been put off by those who did not feel the gliding club was a welcoming environment.

If you are too far away from Essex GC, and want to enjoy the same arrangement, have a look at our website - Shenington Gliding Club is in the Midlands, just 7 nautical miles northwest of Banbury, and handy for the M40 motorway. You are always welcome (advised, actually!) to stop by and have a look around, see if its your sort of place. Have a look, if checking out the website, at the "Flying Reports" to see what we get up to!

Mary

ProfChrisReed
7th Jul 2011, 17:38
I've had a couple of responses and replied by PM, but these might not have got through or just not been noticed. If anyone wants to email me direct, [email protected] will work. ([email protected])

nddriver
13th Sep 2011, 09:11
I have recently taken up the PPL to Glider pilot solo offer at Ridgewell and thoroughly enjoying it.
Wish I had done this a long time ago but finally attracted to it by the friendly introduction to the club and realistic offer of fixed price zero to solo .It is a very friendly and relaxed club run in a professional way with good instruction a credit to the gliding fraternity. Looking forward to soloing soon. :D

ProfChrisReed
13th Sep 2011, 17:22
Thanks nddriver (currently K13 driver and soon, who knows) - BTW I didn't solicit this, nice surprise!

We could fit a couple more in - PM me if you want to talk about it.

ProfChrisReed
16th May 2012, 20:19
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but we've been mulling over our PPL package through the winter and, as we got three takers at the end of the season we thought we should offer it again this year, starting now.

Full details are at Essex Gliding Club. Special Offer for PPLs (http://essexgliding.com/ppl.html), but in summary we offer the following for any PPL/NPPL/CPL/ATPL (and whatever I've left out) who is interested in trying gliding:

1. A taster day, where we provide you 6 winch launches or 2 hours in the air (whichever happens first) so you can see if gliding is for you. This costs £120, and you're a member for a month if you want to fly again with us. We organise these on an individual basis, matching your availability with our instructors.

2. If you decide within that month that you want to join us, we'll credit that £120 against your flying at club rates. You might want our Fixed Price to Solo package which is a 50% discount for PPLs. Pricing details on the website.

As I mentioned earlier, this is not a revenue-raising exercise. We'd like a few new members who like flying - that's you lot!

Anyone who'd like to talk further, PM me.

[Edited to add: nddriver went solo in April - well done! All our present PPL members are solo glider pilots, so there's space for a few more in training.]