PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Examinations Validity PPL(A)

flyer96
3rd Jul 2011, 20:43
Hi all, this is my first post on PPRuNe. I am 14 and am planning to get my PPL by the time I am 17 (hopefully before I can drive!), and would like to do each individual part towards getting my license as early as possible. As far as I know (however please correct me if I am wrong) I can do the following:

Log hours towards my PPL
Go solo at 16 (with at least 15 hours)
Do my skills test as soon as I have 45 hours and have the adequate training when I am 16
Be issued with a license when I am 17

However, I am slightly confused as to when I can do my theoretical knowledge examinations. The LASORS states this:

These examinations contain multiple-choice questions for the most part and are normally conducted under the auspices of a FTO or a Registered Faclility. An applicant shall be deemed to have successfully completed the theoretical examinations for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) when awarded a pass in all of the above examinations within a period of 18 months counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted the examination. A pass will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A) during the 24 months from the date of successfully completing all of the theoretical knowledge examinations.

I understand this as this:
I can do 6 of the exams, and then within an 18 month period of having completed the first of the exams I would have to do the 7th exam. At the point I get a pass in the 7th exam I then have a 24 month period in which to get my license. The LASORS is rather ambiguous though, and I am not sure whether it means 24 months from having completed the first exam, or having completed the last exam.

Any further knowledge towards the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
flyer96 ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jul 2011, 20:48
awarded a pass in all of the above examinations within a period of 18 months counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted the examination
Good, innit. My reading of that is if that you take an exam and fail it, and then don't pass all of them within eighteen months of that first ever attempt, you can never have a PPL!

Clearly nonsense. Welcome to the mad mad world of aviation bureaucracy.

Whopity
3rd Jul 2011, 22:18
No, It says you have an 18 month period in which you must pass all the exams. That period begins at the end of the month in which you make your first attempt. It matters not whether you pass or fail that or any other exam the 18 months has begun and you must pass all 7 within that window. The 18 months can be reset to another start point if you don't meet the time frame. Once passed you have another 24 months to apply for a licence, 36 months in total.

Log hours towards my PPL
Go solo at 16 (with at least 15 hours) No requirement for 15 hours, that is just a typical figure; RAF flying scholarship students went solo after 9 hours!
Do my skills test as soon as I have 45 hours and have the adequate training when I am 16 You only need the 35 hours training to take the Skill test; 45 is for licence issue.
Be issued with a license when I am 17

Well researched.

mrmum
4th Jul 2011, 09:45
Once passed you have another 24 months to apply for a licence, 36 months in total.

Shouldn't that be 42 months? (18+24) ;)
I point this out only because the OP won't have noticed, 14 year olds can't add up.:E

Whopity
4th Jul 2011, 10:05
Quite right, it was originally 12 months + 24 then changed to 18 + 24; it came off the top of my head rather than by adding it. That's why the retention of Training Records was set at 36 months, though I see from the latest Stds Doc its changed to 5 years.

BillieBob
4th Jul 2011, 14:39
I see from the latest Stds Doc its changed to 5 years.Presumably because this is the period that FTOs are required to keep records. There is no minimum period set in JAR-FCL for the retention of records by registered facilities; in fact, there is no requirement for records to be kept at all.