PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Rides - Mid 80's

Kronenburg
2nd Jul 2011, 18:01
Was talking to a chap last night who claims he went up for a spin in a two seat Spitfire (TR9 ?) at Duxford after answering an ad in a magazine, sometime in the mid 80's. He remembers that it was silver and the whole thing cost £85.

I realise it is not possible to do this today as a paying passenger due to CAA Permit to Fly rules, but can anyone remember or confirm that a Spitfire operator was doing this and his ride was a Spitfire experience..... or had he, after a few beers, in fact mistook the Spitfire for a Harvard.:8

zetec2
2nd Jul 2011, 19:16
I had a ride in the "Grace" 2 seater back in the mid 80's from Bicester to Duxford, mine was free ! delivering spares to TFC. Paul H.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/zetec2/075.jpg

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jul 2011, 22:35
I realise it is not possible to do this today as a paying passenger due to CAA Permit to Fly rules,

A couple or so years back it was possible to do this in the one in Canada. Unfortunately it was a non-starter for me as I had a problem with the pounds - far too few in the bank and far too many on the scales :(

treadigraph
3rd Jul 2011, 14:20
The Grace Spitfire was around from about 1985/86... Don't think it was ever painted silver. George Miller's TR.8 went to the US around then.

£85 sounds remarkably cheap for a Spitfire ride even on a cost sharing basis 25 years ago.

Harvard sounds more likely to me.

cyflyer
3rd Jul 2011, 17:07
There are a couple of two seater Spits at Duxford, and as far as I know they still do flights for people today, if you can afford it. It is CONSIDERABLY more than 85 pounds !

treadigraph
3rd Jul 2011, 21:59
Actually, I belatedly recall a magazine article around 1986 in which somebody described spending rather more than £1000 an hour for some hands on time in the Grace Spitfire.

NutLoose
9th Jul 2011, 07:35
Still can in a way, see

London Oxford (Kidlington) Airport EGTK/OXF - First Spitfire Flight Academy Launches at London Oxford Airport (http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/airport_news/news_2011/spitfire_flight_academy.htm)